74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 50m 10s
Overall Rank = 401/1066
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 78/181
Pre-race routine:

The Revolution part 2:
After the Olympic I headed back to the hotel took a long hot shower and took a quick nap, befire getting up an heading back to the Expo for my 3-6 pm shift at the Powerbar tent. Elane and Chirs came by to keep me company but the crowds faded pretty weel after the pros got done with their open house. Got to talk with Jaqui Gordon and a few other pros and did my best to sell our products. Got cut loose early by Randy as the expo was drying up (figuratively and literally as the sun actually came out. So headed to the restraunt for the team dinner. Got to sit with Kelly and Kelly, Tim and his entourage (3 boys and 1 girl) and Jen. After dinner went back packed up and went to bed early after triple checking my alarms and Iphone.
Event warmup:

Got up at 4:55. Grabbed a power bar smores bar for breakfast and some IM Perform and then grabed another for the road. Got plenty of time to set up but stilll had to park in the alternate lot across the road from the park. Got transition set up, took my bike to the mechanics to pump up my tires and lube my chain (which had been sitting in the rain for a day and a half now. Then got to meet Cam Neely Boston Bruin Hall of Fame Deffenseman and his wife a few spot down from me. lubed and sunscreend up then headed to the porta pottie line and then the beach. Was in wave #9 so had plenty of time to sit down and relax.
Swim
  • 40m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Starting in the 9th wave again was forced to start in the middle 4-5 rows back. Really got beat up the first 200 yards, smacked, kicked, grabbed and for the most part it was the 40-45 women who were dishing it out. Finally, I found some open water and got into a rhythm and got going. But by then my goggles really started fogging up so I could see anything and had to stop periodically to wipe them out and find the buoys. I ended up zig zagging quite a bit and went well inside on the 2nd legs and had a 270 degree turn around the red buoy to head for home. Then it was into the sun. Stayed in good alignment with the buoys but zig zagged from one side to the other adding alot of time. Finally made it to shore and was done after 1 failed attempt to stand a few feet from shore to find the water was still way deep. Swam 3 more strokes and it was waist deep.
What would you do differently?:

Have really been negilgent with my swimming this year. Need to swim more!
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

Slow jog up from the beach but quick time getting out of my wetsuit and in my gear. Loaded up the gels and my 2nd bottle and sprayed the sunscreen. Lost 2 spot in my AG to 98th but gained 7 spots OA to 540th.

Have the second bottle holder on my bike.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Got going and took my time getting into the ride. First mile is downhill then the hilss started. Did a good job just being smooth and steady and shifting early for the early hills. Lost my 2nd bottle in my uniform at about mile 4, so that really threw a wrench in my plans. Drank every 10 miles and had a Gel at 24 and 36 miles just before the bigest hills. Had just enough to get through but the last water station was at 36 and they did come across the road to the other side of the O&B as I had thought so never picked anything up. Got into a good rhythm and got going at a good pace once the Olympic and Half course merged up at mile 6 and I felt good and started moving forward. Went to the small ring on the steep hill to Rt 48 but had only of my teammates at the top to cheer me on plus we had a nice conversation about walking up this damm hill and falling over in our clump of folks working the slow grind up. After that section I got down and hammered along but my back started hurting, not a good sign 14 miles or so into the ride. So I started getting out of the staddle more often and stretched when I got the chance. The decent down to Black Rock Park and the town at the bottom was totally awesome as normal. Great scenerery and free spped flying down that stretch. Went thru town and grabbed my powergel before starting the 4 tiered 8 miles climb in the middle with a Cat3 thrown in for fun. Thanks to my back I climbed most of the way standing but stayed in the big ring the whole time. Climbing tends to be a matter of momentum, If you can maintain your momentum you climb fast and effectively and on this day I was having a great ride. Did a back and forth with a guy in the Mooseman Triathlon Jersey and just motored past people the whole time. Got to the top of that section got a qick break and rode the rollers to the out and back. Grabbed a Gel after the turn and before the downhill so I could fly downhill and the hit the flat to the turn. Then it was back up the hill. Again I caught up to the Mooseman Tri guy and we worked our way up together leapfrogging. Mile 40 is mid hill which is a boost. THen it was back through town and back to the Olympic course. Hit the 45 mph downhill and the Hard hill road hill and the hard left and then the sweeping right which I coulding hold my lane on (did yesterday in the rain but not today). The final 6 miles around the lake is tough when you hear the park then see the runners. The spot where the run and bike course come together is one hill that crushes me every year. YOu lose your momem=ntum on the intersection and the hill is steep so I almost stall out. Happened every year and again this year, but that is the last hard hill. THe final miles is uphill but not steep and I got out of the staddle to strtech and ride that stretch. Very fun ride and did pretty well about 5 min faster than my best on this course.
Rode from 98th to 73rd in my AG and from 540th to 378th OA.

Fix the drink holder and not have to ration perform. Think I might have to adjust my bike setup a bit since my back doesn't seem to like me lately in the aero vs the road bike setup I go longer with no issues.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Slow trot to the rack in the back of transition, Pulled out my used Gel packs and stuff my gel Blasts into my uniform. sprayed myself down with sunscreen grabbed my hat and went. Maintained my position in my AG and lost 3 spots OA.

Went well.
Run
  • 2h 01m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Hit the porta potties out of transition and then cruise the first mile downhill. Got my legs under me as we rounded the corner and got into a good smooth tempo and finally started passing people. Got a high 5 from Jordan on mile 3 and felt good. Then turned to the K swiss mile +. Grinded up the hill at a nice steady tempo and made alot of progress. The signs on the hill were pretty funny encouraging you and laughing at you. Got to the top and the the back side out and back loop. SOmewhere in this section I really slowed, Granted there are a few long hills but the pace dropped. After working my way to the top of the mile 7 hill my right hamstring started to tighten so I eased up the pace to manage it. Rest of the run was a dance of picking it up until my hammy twinged then slowing down and repeating. Never went to a cramp but it slowed me down alot. THe out and back seemed to go alot furhter than in previous years but I noticed I had made up alot of ground on two of my teammates, The last stretch I just plodded along to reach the finally mile 12 hill and then caught my two teamamtes there. Worked my way up the hill and around and joked about the guy saying we looked great. Note: at 69.8 miles and at the top of a .6 mile hill no one looks good. Tried to stretch it out over the last stretch and picked up the tempo a bit and held on to my position to the end. Heard them announce me home but the big screen was on the wrong side for us to see. Lost 5 spots in my AG and 20 spots OA but i'll take it!

Not have my hammy tighten up but that had been bothering me off and on the last two week so it wasn't a shock.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the Norma Tec Tent, met the big boss and did the boot for 20 min, then got some food. Saw the rain coming in so decided to pack my stuff up and load the car and was heading out of the park to my car went it started downpouring and lightining, so I skipped out on the awards and headed home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Back, hamstring, loss of drink/bottle/holder, and doing an Olympic then standing at the Powerbar tent for 3 hours. BUt was a 8 min+ course PR and about 12 min for the Revolution from last year!

Event comments:

Great race! Hard weather conditions this weekend but great volunteers, tech support, event staff, and spectators. Had a great time!

Last updated: 2012-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 96/181
Overall: 547/1066
Performance: Below average
Suit: TYR Hurricane Cat 5 Full
Course: Inverted triangle course a bit further out and the cross leg was longer as a result and dead into the sun which was brutal. Then back to shore. Race was wetsuit legal.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:02:50 | 56 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 73/181
Overall: 378/1066
Performance: Good
First 38.9 miles in 2:07:28 (18.31 mph ave) Last 17.1 miles in 55:22 (18.53 mph ave)
Wind: Some
Course: Started of the other direction out of the park and right into the rolling hills plus a two extra big hills before meeting up with the Olympic cours for 15 miles and the steep hills, then a cool decent down to Black Rock park and town and then the long 6 mile multi tier climb back out. Then more rolling hills to the out and back/ down and back up section. Then back to the olympic course until the split and 6 miles back around to the park as we came out.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:01:17 | 13.1 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/181
Overall: 401/1066
Performance: Average
First 5.6 miles 47:27 (8:28) included the Kswis hill Next 5.2 miles 52:16 (10:03) included hill out and Olympic bike hill Last 2.3 miles 21:34 (9:22) included final hill.
Course: Downhill first mile, shallow uphill to mile 2.5 or so and back down to 3.5. Then only the dirt road and a mile+ long uphill with lots of steep segments. To an out and back in the neighborhood down to the lake and then back out to the halfway point. Then another climb to mile 7 and then onto the Olympic bike and the last long hill and around to mile 8 and then to the front of the park. Then down to the start of the olympic course and a nice flat/downhill segment to mile 10. Then the gradual uphill to the turn around but straight back to mile 12 and then the same last miles with the long hill under the road, then around to the park and in the back entrance to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes