General Discussion Triathlon Talk » May be moving to Austin. Where to live? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-07 6:57 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: May be moving to Austin. Where to live?
Hey gang. I may be moving to Austin. My wife is looking at Lakeway and Rough Hollow. I'll be working downtown on Congress Ave. Anyone have some recommendation on other places we should look?

2012-06-07 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4250825

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: May be moving to Austin. Where to live?

I live in Falconhead in Lakeway.  Rough Hollow is OK but it is back off 620.  Lake Travis is a top school.   But so is the Eanes School District.  WestLake.  You may be surprised at the cost of housing in WestLake, West Austin, very high. 

Both are good for Congress Street.  Right now there is construction on 71, so take 2244 to 360 to Ben White to Congress Street.  The area is really growing. 

Check out, the Back Yard in Bee Cave.  Zilker Park.  I swim in the Barton Springs pool.  In Lakeway Nitro has a nice indoor facility. 

I would stay away from North Austin.  The commute would be hard.  In South Austin Circle C is a nice community.  You want a little rural check out Dripping Springs and  Spicewood.  We are in a drought right now so the lake is down. 

Good luck

2012-06-07 11:06 PM

User image

New user
Austin

Depends on what you want and are looking for.  Schools? Close to work? Suburbs or city living?  Rough Hollow is very nice and has had two "Parade of Homes" tours out there. 

We live in Mueller, which is a new development and very close to downtown and a great community feel.  Our hood also had a Parade of Homes (in between the two rough hollow years) and price points for all levels. 

Downtown has some very nice brand new condo's, and some even nicer homes in Terrytown (which is about the same distance to downtown as we are).

I'd just hate to spend that much time commuting to/from work, but to each his own.  Just depends on what ya want.

If you need a loan officer I know a lot that are very good, and if you need help insuring the home, cars, etc....that is what I do...run an independent insurance agency.

Welcome to Austin!

2012-06-08 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I too live in Lakeway and love it.  I work downtown and my hours are 7-4 (so I can beat traffic both ways).  Takes me 25min in the morning and 35-40min getting home.  Like others have said...Circle C in SW Austin is nice, Westlake is a good area, Crystal Falls in Cedar Park is new and really booming and there are some very nice homes being put in.  Round Rock is also booming but the traffic coming into town on I35 is a nightmare.  Belterra is a newer and nice subdivision heading out towards Dripping Springs.

It really depends on your priorities and price point, but if you are talking Lakeway/Rough Hollow the price point is already pretty decent.

PS - Lakeway is a great area for bike riding.  Very hilly and lots of good country roads and scenery.  We also have a bike club that rides weekly (Lake Travis Cycling).  But, Austin in general is a very bike friendly city with lots of rides all over town.

Edited by chichitao 2012-06-08 8:08 AM
2012-06-08 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Go out SW parkway.  Some new developments.  Also check out the Barton Creek area.

Terrytown mentioned above and that area is nice a little eclectic, but very high cost of housing. 

Best of Luck.

2012-06-08 2:35 PM

There really are lots of good options.  I live in Circle C and absolutely love it.  I agree that living South/Southwest/West are all preferred to North.

My wife works for the Eanes (Westlake) school district, our son could go there but we keep him in the local elementary school.

I only really have one Austin rule I try my best to live by: avoid I-35 like the plague.  Equal parts deadly and slow, who'd have imagined both were possible on the same road?

Congrats on the move, I hope it works out for you as well as it does for just about everyone who comes here.  

One of the things I love about Austin is that most of us think there's something cool about living here - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy and it gives the town a great vibe.  Drop a line when you land and if you're anywhere near me I'd be happy to meet up for a ride.

Cheers,

Eric

2012-06-12 3:05 PM

I work at Congress and 1st Street and live in Lost Creek (near Bee Caves and 360).  I love the area.  15 min drive (desk to door) to and from work most of the time and 25 min (desk to door) in bad traffic.  Westlake schools are great (two kids at the high school now). I go directly out my back door (no drive) to ride 360 and/or Bee Caves.  Also consider that the run around town lake is great, so consider this a factor is your ability to utilize it.  I run it several times a week before work, after work and at lunch, and my wife and I are able to drive (10 min) or run in (~4 mi) to the trail around the lake on the weekends. We also mountain bike the Barton Creek Greenbelt from Lost Creek into Zilker some times. Originally we planned on moving a bit closer in when the kids graduate, but so far we are pretty happy with where we are and we may stay for a while
2012-08-02 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
Boulder
Depends on how much money you're willing to cough up and what amenities are important to you. Lost Creek, Rollingwood, & Mueller are all good places and shouldn't be a horrible commute.
2012-08-15 9:05 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
It's official.

I'll be living in Falconhead Apartments for the first few months. Excited.

Anyone a member of Austin Pure Fitness? How about the Ride Hard training at Mellow Johnny's?

Thanks for the tips everyone.
2012-08-16 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Welcome.  I live in Falconhead.  I run behind the apartments.  On Tuesday at 6:00 there is a 23 mile ride leaving from the National Bank on 620.  Next to the boat place.  North of Randalls, great ride, but tough.  We meet afterwards for a water or beer.  On Thrusday at Hamilton Pool road 5.5 miles  from 71 is a ride throught the hill country. (Deer Run on left is parking)  Sometimes we do the Livestrong course.  Up to 30 miles.  PM for any questions.

Nitro is at the back of Falconhead, good for swimming.  The Lakeway pool is OK.  You can do the Zilder Park pool.  It is an OWS  4 laps is a mile.  Many amenities near you in Lakeway.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » May be moving to Austin. Where to live? Rss Feed