Tri Columbia
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 02m 27s
Overall Rank = 206/220
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up at four a.m. to eat: banana, boiled egg, pom juice, and a small bagel with PB. Laid on couch to snooze some more, until a little after 5, then got TSW up and started packing car for trip to Cambridge, about 30 minutes away.
Event warmup:

Setting up transition and a quick jog to the high school bathroom. Had initially planned on a number 2, but the stalls didn't have doors on them! Two poor guys sitting on those thrones for all to see, their tri-shorts around their ankles...geez, that was an indignity I was unwilling to suffer.
Run
  • 1h 03m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Faster run than I anticipated or planned for, but I was able to do it without completely burning all of my energy. Considering I was facing a 44+ mile bike, I'm not at all disappointed in the run results.
What would you do differently?:

If anything, probably run slower so I had more energy on the bike, although I'm not sure that would've made a difference today.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Surprised at the length of this. I didn't waste any time, except having to undo my bike shoes to open them up and get my feet in. Hard to believe that made all the difference, though; but, honestly, I don't even remember most of this transition.

Open up my bike shoes!
Bike
  • 2h 35m 42s
  • 43.5 miles
  • 16.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Based on the results of my second run, I think it's a reasonable assumption I went too hard on the bike, although it didn't really feel too bad until the last leg back to the school. I took it generally easy on the first outward bound leg, for the express purpose of not going too hard. As I would see people coming back the other way, I kept thinking they all seemed to be moving slower than I'd have thought. I understood why after I made the turnaround and found myself throwing off high wattage with little result into the face of a gusting wind. This area has a reputation for that - and I'm sure it wasn't as bad as I've heard it can be at Eagleman - but it wasn't comfortable.

That got me thinking I really needed to push on the third leg, with the wind behind me. And I tried to generally maintain around 150-ish wattage on the last leg, again into the wind. I was extremely happy to get off that bike as it had become uncomfortable.

I keep thinking I should've gone slower on the bike because of how I felt going back out for the final run. If, for example, I'd ridden ten minutes slower and easier, would I have gained that much back on the run? I'll probably never know, but that last run was a sufferfest, so pushing the bike a little less harder would've likely been the best choice. It didn't seem, though, that I was really going that hard...guess it just catches up with you.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Slow here too, but this was mostly a fatigue thing.

Not too much. All I remember is my socks sticking to the velcro on the bike shoe straps as I tried to get off the bike.
Run
  • 1h 17m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

A miserable experience; I was uncomfortable from the get-go: feet were sore, knees hurt, quads hurt, butt hurt. I felt like a cripple trying to run. I didn't track individual miles, but I think I was at around 22 minutes after the first couple and it went downhill from there. I'd run four and walk one, then three and walk one. By the end, I was just trying to run for a minute or two at a time. I actually experienced near cramping in my quads at about 7K, held it off by taking down a gel at the aid stop at 7.5K.

As noted previously, it probably would have been prudent to back off on the bike a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Boy was I dizzy and light-headed afterwards! Sucked down several Gatorades just to make sure I didn't cramp up. They may have had food there, but I couldn't tell you because I wanted nothing to eat. Packing up was slow and painful.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, I'm pleased with the total time, yet a little frustrated because I could've beaten five hours if I'd just been more sensible on the bike. But since I was expecting close to 5:30 overall I have to be pleased.

Event comments:

I don't know about post-race activities because I didn't see or participate in any. But it was very organized with amazing volunteers and plenty of people eager to help. TriColumbia did a great job; I can see why so many people speak highly of Eagleman.

Last updated: 2012-06-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:36 | 06.21 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/220
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, hot rural roads with absolutely no shade, bordered by wheat and corn fields south of Cambridge High School.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 03:10
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
02:35:42 | 43.5 miles | 16.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/220
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: From the school south into the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, nice and flat, a bit bumpy at times. Fighting some wind on the length back into town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average