General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-06-08 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon : Official Thread
Who is signed up to race this? If you have raced it before, what is the course like?

2012-06-08 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4252270

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon : Official Thread

It's been years since I raced it so I feel like I have a score to settle with it. 

Swim is point to point with the current

Bike is out and back on Hwy 27 (?).  It rolls the whole time and has a few climbs to keep you honest

Run is out and back on the greenway.  Little to no shade. 

The biggest issue(s) are the heat and the heat.  First, it is a time trial start and it takes a while to get everyone in the water so you are just sitting out in an open field for a while.  Second, by the time you start the run the sun is cooking...and you body is past well done.  This is notorious for being one of the hotter races in the southeat. 

2012-06-09 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Ditto to what Andrew said.  It is best to get your registration in early and be aggressive on your anticipated swim time.  The point to point down river swim will shave a few minutes off your normal Oly swim, so account for that.  If you overestimate your swim time, you could end up in the water an hour later, which will make a HUGE difference come run temp.

The bike is scenic, but has some long steady climbs, nothing too steep, but it will definitelly keep you honest.  Due to where they have to do the turnaround, it is like 42k, so if you have a garmin don't be surprised when you get to 12.5 miles and you are still not at the turnaround.

The run is a grind.  You start up a huge hill, then back down the other side, then you have ~4 mile of TN flats along the river with some, not much shade.  Then right about 1.2 miles to go, when you are cooked, tired, thirsty and hungry, you have a RIDICULOUS .7 mile climb that seperates the men from the boys... Then it is downhill to the finish.

Overall a super fun race, plan to do it again this year myself.  Definitelly a cannot  miss race given how few good organized races we have in TN.  Team Magic does a good job with oranization sans the stupid uneccessary time trial start (no reason a river swim cannot be wave start, see Philly, Chicago, Augusta, etc...), the ridiculously late start time (sun comes up at 530, why does the race start at 8????, and their notorious habit of starting late (see point 2, they already start late, then they start late, I think last year went off at like 8:15 errrrr)...

2012-06-09 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

I re-read my post, sounded like I was dissing the race.  Just because the course is challenging does not mean it is not fun.  As soon as I finished this race last year I immediatelly thought "this is a must do again" race.  I love a good challenge, the fan support and course support is awesome and Chattanooga is such a fun place to visit if you are not from there.  My favorite part is the run, the path along the river is awesome!  I do business in Chatt once in a while and always make time for a good 13-15 mile run on that path whenever I am there, it is very unique for TN.

Hope to see ya'll there! 

2012-06-09 7:58 AM

New user

Williamsburg, VA
The only thing I would add to the above is that there is a flight of stairs that you have to climb at the top of the hill going out. You get to run down them on the way back in. You have to be careful because you can get in a bottle neck if your in a crowd of runners.
2012-06-10 8:53 AM

Extreme Veteran

Yes, the stairs are a bottleneck and on the way back becarefull of your legs.. i've seen a few people buckle going down those. I need to get my hotel booked today for this, but looking forward to it.

yes, that last hill sucks..but keeps you working..

oh and Andrew I think you forgot to mention the heat..

see everyone there..

2012-06-10 3:32 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I did it two years ago and had a blast.  I'm doing it again this year.  Last time I took the stairs two or three at a time, and I think that was a mistake!

Did somebody mention that it is hot?

2012-06-11 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
see you guys there. ready for the three H's. Heat, Humidity, Hills.
2012-06-11 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm IN and looking forward to the sweatfest.

Will people be doing practice swims in the river the day before?  Is this allowed?

Anyone want to meet for a practice swim or course recon ride (easy pace) on Saturday morning?

2012-06-11 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4255207

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
AtlantaBill - 2012-06-11 11:16 AM

Will people be doing practice swims in the river the day before?  Is this allowed??

IIRC, the answer is no.  Since is a P2P swim with a noticeable current, it is generally ill advised.  The river is set in a large canyon like ravine so there are points along the way that there is no shoreline...only a 20-30' cliff. 

2012-06-11 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

And the ride is on a highway, so you cannot pre-ride that either, but you can drive it.  I did ride the run course last year to scout it out, but those stairs are extra tough on a bike Tongue out

Rumor has it that it is HOT!!!  I guess compared to the Downtown Nashville Tri which is a few weeks later it did not feel nearly as bad.  Now that is a HOT race day, been 100+ during the day the last 2 years I think.

2012-06-11 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
Quick question:  This is my first time doing this race.  Do you all normally wear cheap flip flops on the bus to the swim start, and just leave them there?  I don't know if I really want to be walking around barefoot for a couple hours.  I am a slow swimmer and will probably start at the back.
2012-06-11 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
You can, I just went barefoot, but you definitelly could and probably should.  You basically hang out on the UT Chattanooga practice field which you do not need flops, but you hang for so long you will visit port a potties a few times, which you will want flops.  Well worth the $3 at the dollar store...

Edited by gremlin327 2012-06-11 2:49 PM
2012-06-12 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4255657

User image

Veteran
ADollar79 - 2012-06-11 1:53 PM
AtlantaBill - 2012-06-11 11:16 AM

Will people be doing practice swims in the river the day before?  Is this allowed??

IIRC, the answer is no.  Since is a P2P swim with a noticeable current, it is generally ill advised.  The river is set in a large canyon like ravine so there are points along the way that there is no shoreline...only a 20-30' cliff. 

Thanks Dollar.  Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand "the answer is no".  Is there a law, or likely police enforcement against someone jumping in the river and swimming?

"a P2P swim with a noticeable current, it is generally ill advised..." is the same course we're swimming during the triathlon, right?  Wearing a wetsuit one can do it the same as an empty bag of chips, right?  Pardon my snarky comment.

If we have 6 or 8 folks who want to do a practice swim, we can probably find a kayak to go with us.  Would that mitigate the "generally ill advised"?

2012-06-12 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Not sure if is illegal, but also not sure how you could do it logistically.  The race starts from the UTC Rowing docks, which are gated and chained when not in use, so that is not an option.  There is a boatramp upstream about 1/4-1/3 mile (by the waste treatment plant which I think you could use, but that would add alot of distance.

Once in, not sure how you would get out.  The race ends at a breakwall and they bring in portable stairs.  Without the stairs it is like 6 feet straight up.  There may be a way out further down, but now the swim is REALLY long...

Basically, this is a really easy swim (with current, smooth as glass, warm water, easy to sight), I really do not see the benefit, given the effort to do it safely, to attempt this unless you had a boat to follow you and bring you back, which with 6-8 people would be a party barge.  If you get a party barge, let me know, i won;t be swimming, but the party part sounds good Tongue out 

Just my $.02...

Edited by gremlin327 2012-06-12 3:59 PM
2012-06-12 11:42 PM

User image

Veteran
+1 "generally ill advised".  Got it.  Thanks.

2012-06-13 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4258880

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

i suspect that people do it every year.  I just don't know if Chattanooga has an ordinance against it.  I suspect they might.

It's been a few years so my memory is vague, but I do seem to recall their being a gate with a padlock on it that leads down to the swim start.  This in theory would probably thwart your plans of starting right there.  Also, unless things have changed I don't believe Team Magic even allows a swim warmup because of the current.  There are years where the current is really noticeable so logistically, you might be stuck swimming the whole course if you tried. 

All that being said, there are 2 state parks about 10-15 miles from the race area.  They might have swimming holes.  There is also a public park on the other side of the river.  You might be able to sneak in the water there. 

Honestly, Bill, your best bet would to be to stop by Red Top Mountain on your way out of town.

2012-06-13 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4255956

User image

Regular
Thanks gremlin327, I'll definitely bring them then.
2012-06-13 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I registered. And I am admittedly fearful, lol. Heat, humidity, hills. That about sums it up. I live in a similar environment so I know how bad I will melt. Thanks for mentioning the cheap flip flops tip!
2012-06-17 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

I signed up for it, this will be my first tri that I do. Can anyone tell me what the heat has been like in TN. I am currently stationed in AK and coming down to see my kids and do this race. I am going to be in TN for about 3 weeks before the race so I might adjust a little.

On a side note does anyone have a recommendation for a bike. I am not going to bring my Mt Bike down with me so I am looking to purchase a road bike when I get down there. In my price range is something around a Trek 1.1 or Raleigh Reveno 1.0. I know it is not probably the best but I have been training with a mt bike so anything should be an improvement. If anyone has a used one I am interested, but my budget is not huge, I also do not want to spend a lot right now because it will be a year before I bring the bike to me. I am in AK for another 11months and the outdoor riding season is coming to an end. I am looking at doing some indoor training this winter but figure I should be ok on my mt bike for that.

Also, any suggestions as to what I need to bring. This will be my first ever tri and not fully sure what to have with me. I am a complete newbie to the sport. Any suggestion/help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jbwills 2012-06-17 1:09 PM
2012-06-17 6:21 PM

Extreme Veteran

MOAB in Franklin, TN has a good selection of bikes that will fit your price range I believe. Good luck, weather has been hot mid / upper 80s to low 90s.

2012-06-17 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4265682

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
jbwills - 2012-06-17 1:08 PM

On a side note does anyone have a recommendation for a bike.

Also, any suggestions as to what I need to bring. This will be my first ever tri and not fully sure what to have with me. I am a complete newbie to the sport. Any suggestion/help will be greatly appreciated.

What are the temps like in AK right now? It will likely be mid 90's and very humid. If you are acclimated to cool and dry, that will be a consideration for you. I live in the same conditions and I'm having to force myself out for runs later in the day because I typically run in the morning. In the shade. It makes a difference.

There is a Trek store in Chattanooga that rents (I heard). That might be a better solution considering circumstances.

There are many packing lists available online. I like to make my own using this http://triathlon.racechecklist.com/. Click the boxes of what you need then print your custom list.

2012-06-17 11:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

I have been running at 4-4:30am because I can govern that time of day for myself. Around then it is high 50's to mid 60's. I am planning to hit some midday runs when I get to TN to help speed up my acclimation.  Even midday here it is maybe high 70's. I know TN is a lot more humid, I lived in Cleveland for 15years. I know I am going to sweat a whole lot more that I do now, guess I may have to add some extra layers for my runs/rides to help with the temperature.

I figure I might be able to get a open water swim in up here in a nearby river so the temp in the river should not be a problem in TN.

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to a fun event. A success will be finishing it.

2012-06-18 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4266250

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I think I read that the river water temp is expected to be 82. Mid 60's is fantastic for a morning run. I won't see those temps again until at least October! Unfortunately you might cook in the Chattanooga late morning heat. I expect that I will. It doesn't seem to matter how many hot runs I do -I still melt. Be sure to hydrate well the 2 days prior to race day so you are not going into the race low. You will not be able to replace what you sweat during the race. Drink plenty of water and electrolyte fluids on the course. Keep your "finish=success" perspective, know when to walk and have a great time enjoying the experience. That's my plan.
2012-06-19 2:45 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey everyone-this will be my third year in a row doing the Chattanooga race.  It does seem to get a bit hot on the run course.   I have seen people swimming at the landing/swim exit the day before the race.  This is one of my favorite swims as it is down river, point to point and a great setting.  Bike course had a couple of long gradual hills but nothing I would consider steep.  Its a good challenge. Hill on the run with about a mile to go is a #$%&! Should be fun.

Randy  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2