Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Prometheus - with spoilers. Seriously - I am completely spoiling it here. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-09 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: Prometheus - with spoilers. Seriously - I am completely spoiling it here.

I caught the late showing of Prometheus last night - mrs gearboy begged off since she was not interested in potentially having nightmares of having aliens inside her. I enjoyed the visuals, but had a number of concerns about the plot points. 

First, the sacrificial alien is clearly somewhat humanoid. Is he supposed to have been the progenitor of ALL life on earth? Then what about the millions of years with non-humanoid forms being the dominant species? Is he supposed to have started humankind? Pretty dicey attempt, and the planet overall seemed rather barren.

Second, if he is on the planet millennia before the rest of us, how does his supposed image get put into all the ancient carvings? And how did the scientists make the leap that they were supposedly the "engineers" of all life? Wouldn't a more reasonable claim have been that they were lost travelers pointing to their home? 

I'll skip over all the time problems of going in 3 years from finding another representation in a cave to having a fully funded spaceship, nearly 35 billion light years away. Instead, the crew seems raqther small - 17 people. And yet they barely know each other? Really? Didn't they do any kind of training together, or get a briefing on the mission that would take them several years to complete?

After they find all the aliens are already dead, the husband appears to become a complete a-hole. How did such an unpleasant guy end up with the heroine of the movie in the first place? She doesn't appear to be a complete shirking violet who would have been easily bullied by him in the first place.

The surgical unit tells Elizabeth that it is programmed for males. Yet it was in Charlize Theron's escape pod. Since presumably Peter Weyland's presence was a secret to her, wouldn't she have had the unit programmed for a woman?

I'll gloss over the surgery being done without any kind of muscle relaxants (which are needed to actually get into the abdominal cavity during surgery), or the ultra rapid recovery of butt-kicking action (it is already a bit long as a movie). But once the alien was removed from her body, how did it grow to such a large size with no evident source of food in the locked room? 

I thought the overall structure of the movie clearly echoed what I remember about the original Alien - there is a cold hearted company tool; an ultimately untrustworthy android who in the end provides some useful information to the survivor; and a final escape attempt with a smaller shuttle (which gets destroyed in Prometheus, but still, makes an appearance.)

My other thought is in answer to the big question of the movie - why destroy what you created. My theory is that the original alien (and what I presume to be the other aliens represented in different times in carvings) were not pioneers who set out to create a new life on Earth. Rather, Earth is the penal colony for the alien race. The first death was not a "noble sacrifice", it was an act of desperation. But his DNA survived in some form to evolve into us. The planned return of the aliens to wipe us out was because we were seen as dangerous or parasites on the planet. They were simply planning to come back and "weed the garden" if you will. Thus, rather than a metaphor for the biblical origins, life on earth is closer to the view of scientology.

Anyone else provoked to think about this movie?

2012-06-09 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4253099

New user
Connecticut Shore
Subject: RE: Prometheus - with spoilers. Seriously - I am completely spoiling it here.

Did they explain how the gravity worked on the ship, cause I really want to know.

2012-06-09 4:50 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore
Subject: RE: Prometheus - with spoilers. Seriously - I am completely spoiling it here.

Did they explain how the gravity worked on the ship, cause I really want to know.

2012-06-09 4:51 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

Because if you can contril gravity, who needs those fancy burnie things at the back of every ship in a moive.

2012-06-09 4:51 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

Tripple post

A new world record!!!

2012-06-09 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4253304

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Just got home from it myself. OP makes some very valid points about the shaky story. I have no answers to any of them. How in the world world was super duper old Guy Pearce supposed to be Charlize Theron's dad though. He looked to be a good 105 or something.

What exactly was the male researcher morphing in to? And why did the biologist live on as a super human with a broken spine when the worms seem to want to just reproduce and explode out of a skull or belly?

The reaction of the giant humanoid thing they woke up shows that they had an extreme hatred for humans though and didn't just want Earth as a planet.

And if the giant octopus alien goes into a giant humanoid alien and comes out looking more like THE Alien, then wouldn't every alien that implants an egg into a human produce offspring that is more human each time?

For pure entertainment, is was waaaaaay below Alien, but I didn't think it was a bad movie. Just left us with just as many questions as before the movie.

2012-06-11 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
gearboy - 2012-06-09 12:16 PM

I caught the late showing of Prometheus last night - mrs gearboy begged off since she was not interested in potentially having nightmares of having aliens inside her. I enjoyed the visuals, but had a number of concerns about the plot points.
First, the sacrificial alien is clearly somewhat humanoid. Is he supposed to have been the progenitor of ALL life on earth? Then what about the millions of years with non-humanoid forms being the dominant species? Is he supposed to have started humankind? Pretty dicey attempt, and the planet overall seemed rather barren.

As I understand it, yes, he is the beginning of all life on earth. His DNA gets into the water and spawns all other life on this planet. It shows, if I remember, his DNA getting broken apart and reforming, which could explain why the first organisms weren’t humanoid.

Second, if he is on the planet millennia before the rest of us, how does his supposed image get put into all the ancient carvings? And how did the scientists make the leap that they were supposedly the "engineers" of all life? Wouldn't a more reasonable claim have been that they were lost travelers pointing to their home?

An explanation I read was that somehow those images are “imprinted” into the psyche’s of all other lifeforms, much in the way that all of those people in “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” were all compelled to draw/paint/sculpt Devils Tower.

I'll skip over all the time problems of going in 3 years from finding another representation in a cave to having a fully funded spaceship, nearly 35 billion light years away. Instead, the crew seems rather small - 17 people. And yet they barely know each other? Really? Didn't they do any kind of training together, or get a briefing on the mission that would take them several years to complete?

I would think that the Weyland Corp would want to keep the crew as small as possible, thus making them easier to manage. Same goes for not acquainting them with each other and keeping them as in the dark as possible about their mission. Less unity=easier to control them.

After they find all the aliens are already dead, the husband appears to become a complete a-hole. How did such an unpleasant guy end up with the heroine of the movie in the first place? She doesn't appear to be a complete shirking violet who would have been easily bullied by him in the first place.

This was a big question for me as well. There was no character development that would have suggested that this would be how he would have reacted.

The surgical unit tells Elizabeth that it is programmed for males. Yet it was in Charlize Theron's escape pod. Since presumably Peter Weyland's presence was a secret to her, wouldn't she have had the unit programmed for a woman?

Another big question. I think that perhaps the answer is that the surgical unit wasn’t actually put there for her at all, but for her 90-year old father who had been placed aboard the ship secretly.

I'll gloss over the surgery being done without any kind of muscle relaxants (which are needed to actually get into the abdominal cavity during surgery), or the ultra rapid recovery of butt-kicking action (it is already a bit long as a movie). But once the alien was removed from her body, how did it grow to such a large size with no evident source of food in the locked room?

Well, she was injecting herself regularly with drugs including before the surgery. Maybe they were super-futuristic drugs that allow for faster recovery? As far as the growth of the alien, it’s a biological WMD, so maybe it’s genetically engineered to grow rapidly with limited or no food? I dunno. I’m reaching.

I also wasn’t clear why David, the android, decided to infect the scientist with the alien organism. There was no explanation for that that I could see. In Aliens (2), the company wanted to bring the aliens back to earth to use as weapons, and Burke deliberately tried to infect Ripley and Newt so that he could bring the alien parasites back inside them, but there was no such suggestion of that here.

Other things that bugged me:
Why did the geologist turn into this vicious super-human killing machine after the parasite got inside him? No one else who was infected had anything similar to that reaction? Maybe there are different kinds of WMD’s that do different things?

Why did the orbs fail to detect the small worms in their search for lifeforms, and not detect any lifeforms until later?

How, when they were in direct radio communication with the ship which had an elaborate 3-D digital map of the cave which showed everyone’s position in relation to everyone else’s, did the two scientists manage to get lost on their way back to the ship?

Why did the Engineer suddenly begin killing everyone after David spoke to him at the end? What did he say to him?

Why did they decide to put Guy Pearce in that horrible old-man makeup, rather than use an actual old actor?

How did Charlize Theron’s character’s line about being “500 billion miles away from anyone” make it into the final cut of the movie? She’s supposed to be an executive for a company that builds spacecraft. Wouldn’t she know that 500 billion miles doesn’t even get you out of our solar system, much less to another planet in a distant solar system?

Overall, I was disappointed with the movie. I really wanted to like it, and I’m more than willing to suspend disbelief, but I think there were way too many loose ends, poorly explained plot points, and stuff that just plain didn’t make sense.
2012-06-11 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4255475

User image

Veteran

jmk-brooklyn - 2012-06-11 11:55 AM Why did they decide to put Guy Pearce in that horrible old-man makeup, rather than use an actual old actor?

Amen.  It looked awful.  Just play it safe and use a real actor. 

Also, it's very easy to get out of the way of a tall/straight falling object if you just run perpedicular to where it will land.  Don't try to out run it, just go left or right.  C'mon Charlize.   

2012-06-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4255475

User image

Pro

jmk-brooklyn - 2012-06-11 12:55 PM

This was a big question for me as well. There was no character development that would have suggested that this would be how he would have reacted.

The more I thought about it, the more this aspect of the movie as a whole bothered me. Unlike the original Alien, we really didn't get to know most of the crew as individuals. So it was a lot harder to invest in them becoming cannon fodder.

2012-06-11 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4256045

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
gearboy - 2012-06-11 3:19 PM

The more I thought about it, the more this aspect of the movie as a whole bothered me. Unlike the original Alien, we really didn't get to know most of the crew as individuals. So it was a lot harder to invest in them becoming cannon fodder.

That movie came out more than 30 years ago. In the original, you don't even see the Alien until an hour or so into the movie.

They simply don't make psychological thrillers like that anymore. If Psycho were made today, the shower scene would take place in the first five minutes, and would involve a cordless drill and a masonry hammer.
2012-06-11 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4256160

User image

Pro
jmk-brooklyn - 2012-06-11 4:51 PM
gearboy - 2012-06-11 3:19 PM

That movie came out more than 30 years ago. In the original, you don't even see the Alien until an hour or so into the movie. They simply don't make psychological thrillers like that anymore. If Psycho were made today, the shower scene would take place in the first five minutes, and would involve a cordless drill and a masonry hammer.

True - the pacing of movies has gotten a lot faster, with a lot less time spent on exposition. Yet the movies are now much longer - I remember going to the movies and expecting to spend about 90 minutes or less in the theater. Back in those days, you could easily catch a double feature and the night was still relatively young. Now they are all running around 2 hours, with a lot of noise and action, but little in the way of characters you can care about. And you could make a phone call for a dime. These kids today, with their rock and their roll, they don't know how good they have it.

2012-06-11 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4256306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Its funny that with the country and I'm sure the world having shorter attention spans requiring constant blasting of info ala Transformers 2, that they have also made the movies longer. It seems that a 30 minute explosionfest would suit most people just fine. Its good when you can find a movie with a decent budget made by a "film-maker" and not a guy or gal that likes to blow stuff up and show off shirtless people.

Prometheus was a good attempt, but there was just too much story to try to make it all fit together.
2012-06-12 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4256722

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Just got back from seeing this at the matinee. I agree with every single flaw noted above.

The plain fact is, we can try to come up with reasons for the thousands of flaws and plot holes in this movie but at the end of the day this was just a terrible, miserable, I-want-my-$10.50-and-two-hours-back level of movie.

In fact, the only thing right with this movie was Charlize Theron in a skin tight suit. Seriously.

It was like they just made the story up while they were shooting the movie.

2012-06-12 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky

Alien, by Ridley Scott, is boring.  The whole time.  Really, really boring.

Aliens, by James Cameron, is awesome.  The whole time.  Top Five Movies of All Time awesome.

Prometheus is another Alien saga movie by Ridley Scott. 

Just sayin'.

On a side note, the artificial person in Prometheus is what I imagine a real life, full blown sociopath is like.  Creepy.

2012-06-15 2:44 AM
in reply to: #4258265

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere

scoobysdad - 2012-06-12 2:15 PM In fact, the only thing right with this movie was Charlize Theron in a skin tight suit.  

Charlize Theron in just about anything is good, though her character did get kind of annoying. She played the high-strung control freak well in this one. 

X2 with the comment about the lack of character development. I think this movie could have been fleshed-out quite a bit more with very little effort. More background would have been good.

ScudRunner - 2012-06-12 2:31 PM

On a side note, the artificial person in Prometheus is what I imagine a real life, full blown sociopath is like.  Creepy.

I'd not thought of that until I read your post. Yah, "David" was more than a little creepy. 

The music seemed to edge up close to resembling Star Trek a few times, and when the computer said "Good Morning David" I had a brief 2001 moment.

Good entertainment, but swiss cheese with the plot holes. I bet it could be made into a good book, but that would entail a lot of character development and background, which the movie lacks horribly.

2012-06-15 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky

Hehehe...make sure you actually look at the comic as well...

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/06/15

2012-06-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4255988

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
mashmead - 2012-06-11 2:57 PM

Also, it's very easy to get out of the way of a tall/straight falling object if you just run perpedicular to where it will land.  Don't try to out run it, just go left or right.  C'mon Charlize.   

This! I was wanting to scream "Run to the left or right, FFS!"

2012-06-15 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4263177

User image

Pro
ScudRunner - 2012-06-15 10:26 AM

Hehehe...make sure you actually look at the comic as well...

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/06/15

The link doesn't go to the comic, so here it is:

2012-06-17 10:18 AM

User image

Pro

OK, these guys asked all the same things I wondered about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Prometheus - with spoilers. Seriously - I am completely spoiling it here. Rss Feed