Lebanon, Pennsylvania
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = 79/522
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/57
Pre-race routine:

I picked up my race packet and set up transition. I realized that my front tire was going flat. I'd noticed when I topped it off in the parking lot that the valve stem insert was a little loose, and finger-tightened it, so I figured that was the problem. I went to the LBS tent, and the guy agreed. He tightened it with a needlenose pliars, pumped it back up, and it was fine after that.
Event warmup:

10 minute easy run. I felt ok during the warmup, with no indications that my body was at less than 100%.
Swim
  • 09m 33s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up at the inside of the front row. When the race started, I took off hard for the first buoy. Within less than 100 yds, I didn't feel right. I felt like I couldn't get enough air. I'd noticed during my warm up run along the lake that there was a film of pollen on the water, and thought maybe it was allergies.

I stayed calm, and backed off on the effort slightly to try to get the feeling to go away. It didn't really work, and I ended up just pushing through the swim feeling like I had CO2 building up. I figured it was only 500 yds, and I would feel better on the bike.

I came out of the water, feeling a little more spent than I should have. As I ran up the path my wife was along the side, and yelled out that there were only 3 guys from my wave who had exited the water ahead of me, and that I could catch them.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Execution was good. Navigation was good, I had lined up right for the start, and had no trouble picking my way through the 2 waves that started before mine.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

T1 wenk ok. This was the first race I've done without socks, and it didn't cause me any problems. I'd decided to put my shoes on in T1, and run in them, because the exit from transistion was rocky.

5th fastest in AG.
Bike
  • 49m 43s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is when I became certain that something was wrong. My legs felt dead, and my RPE was too high for my pace. I struggled through, but it didn't help that I dropped my chain twice. I suspect it needs replaced and/or my derailleurs need adjusted.

Just like during the swim, I just pushed through, and focused on racing my best. There would be enough time after the race to figure out was went wrong.

In the end, my average was about 1 mph slower than at Hempfield a month earlier. Traditionally, I race these courses at about the same pace.

I feel this wasn't anywhere near the ride tht I'm usually capable of, but it was the best I had in my this day.

Check my chain & derailleur adjustment in advance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

This is the first time I've done a flying dismount during a race. It went well.

I was the 16th fastest in my AG.

Nothing.
Run
  • 22m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

In spite of posting an ok time, I still felt like I could have gone faster.

I hit the turnaround in about 11:30, and knew I'd have my work cut out for me to negative split the run with the slight uphill back to the finish. I kept pushing, but by now I really felt slow.

I was very happy to stop running when I finally hit the finish.

Nothing. Just like the bike, I feel like I ran the best I was capable of on this day.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, congratulating and talking to friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was getting sick, and didn't know it. The next morning the pain in my sinuses from an infection woke me up. I ended up being sick for over a week, and going through 2 rounds of antibiotics. Even though I didn't have the race my training and the Hempfield Tri indicated I was capable of, it is actually a bit of a relief to know why it happened.

Knowing that I had 2 weeks to get better before Black Bear, I was glad that there was an obvious cause to my less-than-stellar performance, and that it shouldn't be a factor by then.

Last updated: 2012-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:33 | 500 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/57
Overall: 47/522
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Counter-clockwise lake swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:43 | 16 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/57
Overall: 102/522
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: This course is a single loop with 3 hills. There are a couple technical turns. Most of the roads are smooth, with only a few areas where it gets a little hairy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:45 | 03.1 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/57
Overall: 117/522
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat out-and-back with most of it on a rail trail. This course is deceptive, because it looks flat, but it's actually a slight downhill out, then a slight uphill back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes