General Discussion Race Reports! » Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockford, Minnesota
United States
The Final Stretch
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 24s
Overall Rank = 18/167
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 3/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up early made pancakes as usual. really did not stress about this race at all. I was still recovering from buffalo the weekend before and intervals on thursday biking, and a hard run friday. I was truly training thru this race and just getting in more experience and push it hard.
Event warmup:

I got eaten alive by mosquitos (need to remember bug spray) rode about 5 miles on the bike, mainly to get the shoes set and the bike in the right gear. then hung out. chatted with Ryan, Carl, and Eric for a bit.
Swim
  • 20m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

this was the first swim where at no point were we swimming into the sun, which was very nice. on the way back to the beach it was also nice to sight on the large red umbrella. I took the swim fairly casual, but not easy. overall getting in the water this week, helped
What would you do differently?:

be rested and push the swim more
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

the transition area was a good distance from the lake, with a fair amount of steps. I am actually surprised how fast i got thru transition. The steps were smooth and wide, so i took them fairly easy.

practice running mount
Bike
  • 1h 06m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.42 mile/hr
Comments:

i tried to push the first half. because i was going so slow. My legs were tired from the start, and we were going into a decent headwind. the same wind made the back very fast. so it was nice that i pushed the first half, with as much as i did, even though i was exhausted. I experimented a little with nutrition, i want to work on eating a little on the bike, so i can do that if/when i do a HIM. That went well. My belly felt full, but i wasnt feeling like i should puke or cramp

OH YA, also the bike was only a little over 22 miles so the 23.5 MPH is a calculation off a 40k distance. My garmin had me at about 20.8 so not blazing fast, but same as the week before with a much harder training week. I hope i can do better, but not upset by it.

Push it harder, rest up.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

fumbled with garmin a little, I forgot to put it in auto-multisport so i had to change modes. Not a big deal.

remember to put garmin in auto-multisport, so i can just hit the lap button.
Run
  • 47m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty determined to run better than i did the week before. I focused on a long stride right out of transition. that helped. Unfortunately the run had more hills than i expected. and about half way i ran out of gas. It started to get warm, and i was starting to feel the liquid sloshing around in my belly.

take on a little less water. rest up for a race and work on speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

i waded into the lake to cool my legs. then i walked around and got food and water/heed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

recovery from buffalo, training hard in the week leading up to the race, not being acclimated to the heat yet.

Event comments:

Over all the RACE was very well run. tons of volunteers. I think that might have been the best managed bike course i have been on, that is not a closed course.

However the confusion about awards and giving wrong awards to wrong people is inexcusable. take the time to get it right the first time. and when you screw up go get it fixed right and not screw it up the second time also. This is the first time i did well enough to think i deserved an award. I saw not a single person in my age group pass me. I am confident that most if not all will not beat me out of the water, so if i see you pass me on the bike or the run, then i can count my places.

then to give out age group awards to Elite entries, and then a 3rd place award to someone that was not even in my age group, was very disappointing. Then when the results are finally posted, later that evening, i find out i was third..... that got me a little fired up.

Oh well a little training motivation i guess.

Last updated: 2012-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 2/167
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: A clockwise out and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:30 | 24.85 miles | 22.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 53/167
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: an out and back with a circle at the half way point. a little hilly but not bad
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:13 | 06.21 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 28/167
Performance:
Course: this was pretty much an out and back. ashpalt trail with moderate tree cover. Kind of hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-09 10:49 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2012-06-10 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4253602

New user

Excelsior, MN
Subject: RE: Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance

I got the third place award in your age group and I am in your age group.  Great Race!  I saw you on the return run, you looked good.

2012-06-10 6:18 AM

User image

Great job Pete! Impressive swim!!!
2012-06-10 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4253679

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
It seems to me you pushed the swim hard enough.  To place that high, what's the point of shaving off another minute or two?  I would guess saving yourself a tiny bit for the bike pays off more.  Great job and I hope you contact Final Stretch.  If he (above) got the 3rd place medal, and he was in fifth according to your AG standings, then maybe they were trying to do the right thing - and you should get first.
2012-06-15 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Great race, Pete! That's a total bummer about the awards. I would be pretty PO'd if I finally earned an award for a great performance (especially in tough conditions), then they screwed it up. We all know it's just a token, but I think it still means something to have it sitting there at home. Your swim was just silly-good, as usual (I'm surprised someone was actually faster!), and the bike was good after a tough week training. Do you have an "A" race for this year that you'll actually taper for? I can't wait to see the results from that one (and I hope it's not Lifetime, 'cause you'll smoke me)!

Your run volumes from the fall/winter are already paying off. With the heat and the hills, I bet you can easily run sub-45 at LTF.  Great job, and I'll see you next month!

Ryan

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed