General Discussion Race Reports! » 16th Annual Army Birthday 10 Miler - Ft. Bragg, NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

16th Annual Army Birthday 10 Miler - Ft. Bragg, NC - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ft. Bragg, North Carolina
United States
MWR
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 1s
Overall Rank = 6/1675
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0420, packed up car (including work clothes), and made oatmeal and coffee for the ride.

Once I got to Bragg, parked, ran into my work building to hit the bathroom, then headed over to the race start.
Event warmup:

Ran 1 mile as a warmup. Caught up to some friends and walked with them to the race start. Then ran a bit more to keep HR up.
Run
  • 1h 00m 1s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m  min/mile
Comments:

PRELUDE: I've caught ALOT of flak for running 1 second over an hour. Ha! Yes, I'm a loser and a failure! :)

Lined up at the 6 min/mi pace line and just stretched and jumped up and down to keep HR up. I had hit the port-o-potties at least 2 times before the race and felt ready!

Heard the National Anthem and payed respect to the Flag. Love you, USA!

Race start!

One thing that happened as the race started was that "volunteer" Soldiers fired a cannon and the projectiles almost hit the lone hand-crank racer! OMG! It was so close it was not funny. That could have been a disaster if they'd have fired 1 or 2 seconds later! He actually had a flat at the 2 mile mark, so I really wonder if he was hit.

Here are the main parts of the race:

1) After the race started, a bunch of runners took off. I expected that. They always do that. After the first half mile, a majority fell back, but then it was obvious who the real contenders were, as they formed a pack and started to pull away. I caught up to the lead pack and hung on for the first 2.5 miles. I wanted to keep the lead runners close. The OA leader was strong, though, and little by little pulled away. I hung on, though, and at one point almost passed him. That was a mistake. I was hurting for the rest of the race b/c I tried to pass him on an uphill section.

2) The lead pack of runners caught up to me around mile 4. There were at least 8 guys and they all looked like Bragg Run Team runners, based off their uniforms. I settled in behind them and just hung on. That was tough. I felt that if I let them go, that'd be the end. It was also a big hit to morale. How are you going to let them pass you, Ron?!

3) Mile 5.5 was painful. I was winded, tired, and kept trying to keep a strong pace. if I could get to mile 7, then a good portion of the race would be downhill. I kept thinking, "Get there!" The pack pulled away, but some of the "weaker" runners started to fall back. I overtook a few, but I could not keep pace with the leaders. Besides the leader, there were two other runners that were the obvious leaders. They were giving the other runners directions and advice. I exchanged places with a guy that had ALOT of support during miles 5-7. From what I could hear, he was a captain and had some run experience. He had on a college running uniform, so I think he was part of a team at some point.

4) At the start of mile 6.5, a runner in a red shirt passed me. I tried to hang on, but he was strong. He reminded me of the Ugandan runners that I raced in Iraq. I tried hard to catch up to him, incorporating short bursts of speed with shorts rests. I gained NO ground...

5) The last 3 mile were a lesson in pain. There was a pack of runners behind me and I did EVERYTHING I could to keep them at bay. I could hear them, smell them, and feel their breath down my back! I ran in the shade during that point, but at one point cut over way across Longstreet and ran in the sun so I'd be closer to the trackOne guy caught me and passed me with half a mile to go! Crap! I was destroyed, tired, SWEATY, and done at this point...I looked over my shoulder and saw that the rest of the runners were at least 20 seconds back...i was not worried about them. I kept this guy close, and once we entered the final 1/4 mile, caught back up to him! My Garmin betrayed me and beeped. That was the WORST spot ever b/c at that point, we entered a dead sprint to the finish. The final results don't show it, but he beat me by a second. DOUBLE FAQ!!!! I have never been beat in the final push to the finish. I guess there's a first time for everything.
What would you do differently?:

I definitely have to train more. My training going into this race was lacking...in a big way.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, drank water and ate fruit and other items available.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of quality VOLUME...

Event comments:

Fun race. If I am here next year, I'm going to win this race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:01 | 10 miles | 06m  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 6/1675
Performance: Good
Course: This course is hilly. You start running downhill, then BAM! Hills! Longstreet is long. Before turning onto Gruber, you have to turn and run along some roads in a square pattern, then continue onto Gruber. Gruber is mostly uphill, until the turnaround. Then, it's downhill-ish (doesn't feel like it) until you turn back onto Longstreet (and those side roads). Most of Longstreet is downhill until the end. That last hill before turning into the track is PAIN!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-09 11:44 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: 16th Annual Army Birthday 10 Miler - Ft. Bragg, NC
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 16th Annual Army Birthday 10 Miler - Ft. Bragg, NC Rss Feed