Set Up Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 5s
Overall Rank = 164/396
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 40/81
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate a mini-bagel w/ peanut butter, made coffee, and stretched out. Left the house with what we thought based on past history w/ race was plenty of time, end up getting caught in traffic. This upped my nervous energy. I saw it as quickly burning thru precious warm-up time.

Eventually bailed on the traffic and my wife. I pulled my bike and gear out of the van while we sat in the middle of the road. I left my wife to fend for parking while I headed to setup.
Event warmup:

Warm up consisted of running around Transition area getting set, quick chat with a few folks, a light run with spin up and a "deep wood pit stop" to avoid lines at port-o-johns ... then back to swim start/ Got there with just enough time to catch some Chris, Chris and Scot. Then jammed my head in that condom of a swim cap and into gates…mooooo… cattle to the frenzy.
Swim
  • 17m 34s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

1min 20sec PR on this swim. Coach B is having an effect!

Elected to keep with the theme of racing, and started in the “blender” (aka the middle). I lined up center of the wade in start, right behind the first row. My plan was to try to stay with them in first 200yds, then drop into my pace, preferably with someone to draft off.

Execution was less than stellar, I believe the saying is “No plan survives first contact with the enemy”. My enemy is the swim… and clearly right side dominant in the swim. With my swim hard focus I did not sight sufficiently to offset my right dominance. Result, I was quickly WAY right of the course and the entire field. I had swim a 900+ yd race given my poor course work. It was not until the turn buoy that I hit my cadence and really started to swim strong.

I am making a commitment right now to MORE OWS!

Execution was less than stellar. I am clearly right side dominant in the swim and with the focus to swim hard, I did not sight. Result, I was quickly WAY right of the course and the entire field. I had to have swum a 900+ yd race… it was not until the turn buoy that I hit my cadence and really started to swim strong.

I am making a commitment right now to MORE OWS!
What would you do differently?:

Site early, site often, swim hard. More OWS practice
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Had a cheering section! Wife's training crew and her coach rode in and cheered me on out of the swim...totally shocked... but was nice to see/hear! Thanks to Melinda Y and her crew today!

Running up the hill took a few steps to get my blood moving in vertical position.

Struggled a bit in T1 with shoes, need new shoes

AG Rank 24 /81
OA Rank 113 /396

Not much
Bike
  • 49h 37m
  • 17 miles
  • 0.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to learn to suffer more! This was my first Tri on the P2. I played leapfrog with a few guys but lost them when I screwed up my shifts and dropped the chain. Lost precious momentium that felt like to took HOURS to recover.

For nutrition, I did not take the Infint and water like coach recommended. Instead just a single bottle of Infinit IronFormal2 (Alice's) 3 scoops. I sipped it about every 20mins during ride in an attempt to quacsh the upset stomach. My stomach was a bit screwy from the peanut butter taste I developed during the end of the swim .

Overall, this was clearly my area of opportunity. I had more, should have given more, I need to learn to not depend so much on power tap to tell me to ignore the legs screaming.

GO HARDER

Need to learn to suffer on the bike/aero positon. I think having power to show me how I am doing is a big thing for me...
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Nearly wiped out doing flying dismount... left foot cleat still tight and "new" on tri bike.

Overall average T2, have been faster by 25sec (that could have REALLY paid off later in the results)

AG Rank 43 /81
OA Rank 191 /296

Need to spin out legs earlier.
Need to be shoes on, running while clippping race belt.
Run
  • 25m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

UGH... legs were not happy at the very start.As I ran the start up to the first turn around I was able to see the top finishers coming in which was a unique experience. I also spyed none of my friends, and only a few of my AG... doing well. That thought propelled me a bit harder... I let go and just enjoyed the run.

After falling asleep reading Rich Roll's Finding Ultra the previous night, my mind wandered to the fact that I was not going to suffer an EPIC5. Since I was not going long, I need to find that next gear. It might hurt but I need to find it. I pushed to get closer to Z5 but hold back from going there till the last turn around (3mile mark)... from there, I went for all had to the finish.

Run harder and I'd enjoy it all again
Post race
Warm down:

Finding friends and family and enjoying, good to see Chris, Scott, Chris, Pete, Dave, and my lovely wife at the finish!

I finished this race vivacious, grateful, and indebted to the few who had helped me during those dark days in 2010.

Last year I learned that I had a series of significantly degenrated discs in my back. I was walking like I was 90 (no offense to you in your 90s!). Most everyone chalked me up done. “Not as young as you think you are…” and the like, kept being heard in response to my situation. I was told I would not run anymore, nothing more than 1mile. I should limit my physical activity and contemplate alternative forms of exercise.

Thanks to encouragement of a key few: my wife, my friend/therapist/torturer Mark Kane, Dr Lorch and my new coach, Coach Brett; I am Back! Not many times in my life have I experienced such a euphoric day. I had gone in with this as a C race, which masked a secret desire. I wanted to finish strong and pass a few friends too.

I accomplished my goal, but not the way I expected. I passed one buddy but no who I expected and was caught by another who I did not expect. Thru all of that I laid down a PR by several minutes! I had been doing this race since 2007, and did not expect the result I achieved.

As I look back on the day, Alice, Mark, Dr L, and Coach B that were there for me when others were not. I owe the TriJinix Crew a big thanks too as they rode out to see me off! And Melinda has been a world of cautious encouragement! Since April of 2010 I have been from triathlete to “Eeeyore” and back. So, while the day was my effort, it was those who stuck by me that I owe the day to… without y’all I’d not be back here today…. THANK YOU

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental ability to embrace the suffering required for a sprint

Last updated: 2012-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:34 | 820 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/81
Overall: 192/396
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
49:37:00 | 17 miles | 0.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 49/81
Overall: 169/396
Wind: None
Course: Loop on roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:06 | 03.11 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/81
Overall: 199/396
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run, mostly shade, roots and gravel but otherwise not technical
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Subject: Tri Latta Triathlon

2012-06-10 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4254273

Subject: RE: Tri Latta Triathlon

Congratulations on overcoming

2012-06-13 2:47 PM

Veteran
College Station

You did AWESOME!  I am very proud of you.  Triathlon uses a variety of muscles and skills.  When area is injured, you can often find a way to adapt and still race.  My right shoulder can get really bad, so I just don't swim as hard and bike and run harder instead.  With your back, it's just finding what doesn't hurt it so you can train, adapt, and overcome.  And look at the result!  

You do NOT need to do flying dismounts.  I don't do them because of the crash risk.  Fewer than 1% of race finishes come down to 2 seconds, so take the time to stop and dismount.And let's get you some new shoes, OK?  

Also, knowing how hard to go is simply a result of racing frequency.  You did great with just blindly guessing how hard to go, and it's always better to underdo it than overdo it.  Now you are more fresh and can get back to training for the next one!

2012-06-13 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
AS one that pushed me into this sport last year, welcome back..I got you this time but it might be the last. Congrats...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Latta Triathlon Rss Feed