World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 19m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

After going back for my forgotten food bag, headed up to Larry-town Saturday morning(ish) - solo but high spirits! Met Patrick (TriPatrick) and Mike (Barkeep) at the campgrounds, set up, athlete/bike check in, and then Linda (LindaKC) met up with me for dinner in town. Dinner was great, it was so nice to hang out with a girlfriend who I actually like :) - food at Ingredient was great, too.

BT meet up at Tony's (tuwood) camp site, then off to organize and pretend to sleep.

Up at 4 a.m. and my tent walls were shaking around with the wind already. Bad sign that early. Ate a PB sandwich & SF Redbull, chatted with Patrick, then headed to T2 and T1 with Mike. It was nice to have people to hang out with pre-race! Thanks guys!

At body marking I had my person write an "S" on my left calf. "S" for SINGLE, haha! No bites though, so maybe it stands for "SAD FACE" now, lol. Also ran into one of my best friends from college body marking - what a great surprise! Set up smoothly, pumped tires with the help of a volunteer with a roaming pump, decided to say hi to Michael who was right behind me. I think he started telling me about his new girlfriend? Awkward. On to the porta potty line where I ate a Gu and drank a 5-hour energy, water.

Time to chill out and wait - roamed around and chatted with tons of people I knew, I love that about this race!
Event warmup:

Nope.
Swim
  • 49m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not wetsuit legal, which I was secretly glad for. No shimmying in and getting all worked up, plus my arms would be FREE.

Started on the outside again, felt good from the get-go. I knew the winds would make this choppy but was hoping for minimal waves. Wrong. It was like a freaking wave pool or the middle of the ocean or something. Cray-cray. I didn't panic though, just kept swimming. I knew it would be long.

Really nothing of note happened, except on the back stretch everyone kept drifting inside the bouyes. The turbulence did make my stomach noticeable queasy and churn-y, I wondered if I should have skipped the GU before the start.

Coming out of the water I was horrified to see 49:xx. That's freaking embarrassing. I actually laughed out loud after a double take. What a start to the day.
What would you do differently?:

Grow gills, maybe a mermaid tail.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I ran super fast to my bike, I was pissed about the swim! Told myself to put it behind me, time to focus on the run. VERY smooth transition, especially with no wetsuit to wrestle off, these were the lone bright spot in my day.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 35m 54s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.56 mile/hr
Comments:

You all know I love this bike course. I really look forward to it every year. So I was trying hard to shift my attitude from the swim and have a good bike. Except the winds were now around 30mph (no exaggeration). Boooo.

The first legs after the dam were mostly cross winds, which normally would be great. Except I had my race wheels on - HED3 tri spokes, twitchy things. On the first super steep downhill (in a crosswind remember) I sat up instinctively and the cross wind kept whipping my front wheel to the left. It absolutely terrified me. White knuckles, softly cursing, praying I didn't crash. I was so scared I nearly started to cry. It shook me pretty bad. Repeat on every long steep downhill. Ugh.

And on the uphills it was just a grind. Slow, tired, grinding. When we got to the out and back that went directly into the headwind, I knew it would be brutal. I remembered what BryanCD wrote in his IMSG race report, that he tried to make himself as small as possible. So I hunched way into aero, scrunched up into my aero bottle almost. I was still going like 6mph. It sucked so, so, sososososossooooooo bad.

At this turnaround I announced "SWEET BABY JESUS. IN A MANGER!" and for the first time I could hear things around me (the wind had been so loud) and the whirrrr of my wheels. Felt good.

The rest of the ride back in was mostly cross, and some tail wind. Felt much better here, but I was playing massive catch up. I felt so whipped and beat up I just didn't have much left for the "easy" part.

Some random stuff:
- Lots of BTers said hi as they passed, Brian (Bripod) even told me a knock-knock joke, ha!
- Two dogs were trotting down the road at one point. Not aggressive or even barking, they were just like "HEY GUYS! WTF ARE YOU DOING?!"
- Drank maybe 75% of my Infinite as my tummy was still churning from the swim.

I really, really wanted to love the course today as I always do, but it wasn't happening with the dangerous winds. I was grateful I handled my bike and wheels well enough that I didn't crash.

Turn down the wind.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

I walked a bit into T2, just trying to compose myself. I had to pee soooooooo bad but there were no porta's in transition. I spent some time checking, but nope.

Can't think of anything specific.
Run
  • 2h 49m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

It's hot now, still windy. Michael passed me right as I was coming out of T2 and said hi, gaaah I was trying not to think about him. Sorry if you're reading this :/

I know the first out and back really sucks, but also know there's an aid station at that turnaround. Saw MY HEIDI right out of T2 and set my sights on that aid station. I was CRAZY thirsty and parched, surprised there was not water coming out of T2. Made it to the aid station and walked it, whew. I took 2 or 3 of everything. Needed it bad. Still no porta potties.

It wasn't until the "Asphalt Beach" aid station after going down THE HILL where the potties were. I ducked in there for what seemed like forever. Walked up most of THE HILL but kept running for the most part for the rest of the 1st loop.

2nd loop I walked a bit more here and there but tried not to for huge chunks. Till mile 8 or 9, then the walk breaks got longer. It's so hot out - full cups of ice were being dumped in my top/bra at each aid station. Ran under every sprinkler or water hose, dumped ice water on my head, gulped so much Perform and water and Coke. I could barely get enough.

Decided I should eat something, even though I wasn't too hungry, around mile 8? Tummy was still weird. In fact after that I was stopping a lot because of my tummy, still just churning.

The last 3 miles or so was a run/walk with others around me. I tried so very hard to keep spirits up - the spectators, volunteers, and kids really loved my costume so I tried to play it up and enjoy it. It was another scarce bright spot in the day. I love being Glinda :)

Finally around to the finish chute, and the song "Bulletproof" is playing. I sang along. Waved my wand around and ran it in as the announcer said my name and that I had done every Kansas 70.3, all 5 years in a row. I was surprised he said that, and was a little proud to hear that. OK, a lot :)

Turn down the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Jon (joncolbybonsack) and Patrick were right there, that was cool! Again it was really nice to have familiar faces since I was solo this year. We ended up hanging out for awhile after!

Sat in the shade, then got some soda, saw more friends, chatted, cooled off.

I sat through about half of the awards ceremony before I realized I had a LOT to do before leaving, so I left. Picked up bike/gear, tore down camp site (which really sucks by yourself!), showered, and headed out. Stopped in Topeka for food, and had to stop again about an hour from home to close my eyes for about 20 minutes. Tired girl.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind and heat were today's culprits.

Last updated: 2012-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:41 | 2112 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Athlete top, 400-mile shorts
Course: Long rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:35:54 | 56 miles | 15.56 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:49:22 | 13.1 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops in camp grounds.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 10:41 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Kansas

2012-06-10 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4254639

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Kansas
Glad you were able to hang in there, esp. getting through the bike.  Sounds like a rough day!
2012-06-11 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Good job enduring, Lisa. The wind is exhausting. It takes so much out of us. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I ran only 8 miles in it yesterday, and I felt totally beat up.

Competing in all five is a great accomplishment. I'm glad you were recognized for that. Congratulations!

2012-06-11 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Nice job Lisa. I yelled at you a time or two on the run, trying to cheer you up! Great job, it was kind of a rough day for 95% of us I think.
2012-06-11 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
A mermaid tail would be an interesting addition to the tutu. That's pretty cool that you got some recognition for having done this race since the beginning. The conditions were tough enough for this guy, even though I trained in wind and hills and heat. Funny you mention BryanCD's comment about being as small as possible--I thought the exact same thing at the exact same time! haha

Anyway, good race! It was fun seeing you out there, definitely cheered me up every time I saw you in that silly tutu when I was hurting on the run.
2012-06-11 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Yikes, sounds brutal, but it also sounds like you kept as good of an attitude as possible and FINISHED!!! Glad there were no crashed (on the bike or the tiring car ride home!).

2012-06-11 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Great job out there Lisa, yes that out & back little climb into the wind was tough.  Slow Slow Slow!  This swim was choppy, the swimmer on our relay is capable of a 25-26 min. swim, he came in at about 31.   I had written down everyone's bib#'s, left it home duh, oh well.  I watched runners for a while, I missed the tutuFrown.  My two lids were with me so I bugged out earlier than I wanted to.

2012-06-11 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

5 years in a row? Awesome! Wouldn't expect a Shocker to do something that cool Smile

2012-06-11 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

daaaang that race sounds like it was quite the challenge! how can it possibly be so hot already? I feel like that run cours eis always blazing hot. oof. nice work fighting hard and keeping yourself positive.

5 years in a row, nicely done Glinda!

2012-06-11 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Great RR Lisa, it was great meeting you and seeing you on the course.  The wind and heat was most certainly no fun.
2012-06-11 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I repeatedly poked myself in the face with my aerobottle, trying to get my body out of the wind!  SO BAD!!!!  Great job in some insanely tough conditions!  

2012-06-11 10:11 PM

User image

Regular
Good job and way to battle it out.  I can soooooo see Bripod telling a knock/knock joke.  He's always coming up with something when we hang out.  Anyway, glad you got it done.
2012-06-12 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Doing every KS race since it began sounds like a really cool accolade to have. Who else can say that? Anyway, it was great to hang out with you before the race as well as finding that shaded trail back up the hill.
2012-06-12 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran

Wow! What a day. Sometimes surviving IS thriving! I also think it's so cool that you've done EVERY one.

2012-06-14 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Casa Grande

Lisa,

I so wanted to catch up with you before or during this race, but to no avail.  I flat got my butt kicked on that course from the first minute in the water.  By the time I came off the bike, I was just gonna be happy to finish standing upright!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Kansas Rss Feed