United States
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 52s
Overall Rank = 37/350
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/37
Pre-race routine:

Early wakeup. 4:30 am. Got in breakfast and loaded up car. Drive 20min to course. Load up transition area and get down to water to warmup.
Event warmup:

A quick dip in the water to loosen up the muscles and stretch out. Long walkout to water deep enough to swim in.
Swim
  • 25m 59s
  • 1640 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best swim time at this distance. Really happy with the results. Waves coming in may have helped.
What would you do differently?:

Stick a little closer to buoys and start further to the front of the pack. First OWS of the year, I didn't want to have a panic in a bunch group.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Decent transition. Hard mucky water getting out of the lake. Uphill run into transition, but not bad. Kind of hard to spot bikes. Balloons marked w/ numbers, but due to wind, I couldn't read them.

Visualize where my gear is better before I leave transition.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Everything went pretty well. Didn't quite get the time I wanted, but having to battle the headwind on the way out seemed to bust everyone's time down a bit. Happy overall. Took a couple miles to slow my HR down out of the water and transition. But by mile 5 I was feel smooth and starting catching guys who blew their load out of transition.

My EFS had too much mix in. Made my stomach upset. Cut back on that. Not much else different. Happy with how it turned out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

The racks are kind of low so I was lucky I was back before my neighbors so I could slide it under sideways and rack on my side of the racks.

Not much. Spot my rack better.
Run
  • 48m 52s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I took it a bit easy as I'm 4 months out from ACL surgery. Usually I push the downhills more, but I stayed conservative, getting good footing. Course was nice, but hot. The vegetation seemed to hold in all the humidity.

I just need to get back my running speed since surgery. Happy with this race as I took a conservative approach to the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around in the area after the finish chute and stretch, had some water, chocolate milk, soda, chips, and fruit. Tried to have some of the free beer. I can't handle beer right after a race, so I only had a couple sips then ditched it

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of run training and my knee. Everything else went off well.

Event comments:

Very good mix of local and big race feel. Decent size field and some good competition. I really don't have any complaint. Thought there should be water out on the Oly bike course, but I had two bottles which was plenty. But for some newbs or slow bikers, the heat may have gotten to them. Not sure though. But for faster athletes, everything on this course overall was good.

Last updated: 2012-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:59 | 1640 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Slevelees
Course: Triangle course. Lots of seaweed on the long stretch out in the lake. Somewhat wavy, but not bad. Seaweed was ok, not slimy. Long run/walk in to transition from water. Visibility was pretty good. Could see far enough to see other competitors w/in 5m.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:42 | 24.85 miles | 19.96 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course was good. Usually lots of gravel that got cleaned off pretty well on race day. Relatively flat w/ a few short steep bursts uphill. Windy headwind going out, not much help on way back in. Coming out of the SSW. Lots of riders mixing it up on way back in as the Oly caught up w/ the sprint group.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:52 | 06.2 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Muggy and hilly for the first 4 miles of the course. All on trails, so footing was a bit dodgy from time to time.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes