General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake in the Hills Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake In The Hills, Illinois
United States
Lake in the Hills Parks & Recreation Dept.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 13s
Overall Rank = 98/301
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This is my local race and have trained on the course many times. Volunteered on Saturday handing out packets and setting up T2. Hydrated throughout the day Saturday as the forecast was for hot and humid weather. Woke up at 4:40 and gulped down a Slimfast for breakfast. I like these and drink one every morning before masters swim so I knew it would be perfect for my nutrion. Car and bag was packed, so I took off around 5 for the short drive to Costco. Two transtions need to be set up, so I rode over to T2, got body marked and set up my run. Rode over to the beach and picked up my chip. Realized I left my Garmin back at T2. Doh! Shrugged it off. Ready to race.
Event warmup:

Nothing other than the ride to T2 and T1, about 2 miles total. Did not have much sitting around as I was in wave 2 this year.
Swim
  • 12m 54s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow, I smoked this. I guess hauling my rear out of bed every Tuesday and Thursday for masters swim really paid off. Wave 1 was the elites so we had no traffic. I started fast and there was some contact, but I got out with another guy to my right and we pushed each other after the first few hundred yards. Thought I had him but he beat me by 2 seconds to the timing mat. 2nd out of the water in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a damn near perfect swim for me. Sighting was spot-on and it helped having someone to push me. I was really pumped for the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Major improvement over the years on this particular T1. They make you stuff your suit in a bag for transport to T2 and it always takes me time. This year, much larger bags and I had a good spot right near swim out. Said "good race" to my swimmate, got geared up and headed for bike out. There is a hill right out of T1 and you have to be in an easy gear when clipping in. Had a bit of trouble but got going.

Nothing much. This is the fastest I have been. Not wearing a wetsuit might cut this down but I like using one.
Bike
  • 45m 33s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

New tri bike and aero helment this year. All that work in the basement over winter paid off. Thanks TrainerRoad! Fell into a nice quick pace and held on. I think not obsessing over the Garmin speed/cadence helped as I just went by RPE. Hit some wind on the way in; just enough to take a couple mph off. Finally started getting passed by the other waves but I am very happy with this time.

I could have pushed a bit harder in hindsight. Not sure if the Garmin would have helped or hindered.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Good transition for me since I was using my Brooks Pure Cadence shoes and needed to tie them. Had a nice spot near run out.

Switch over my yankz. I have a red and blue pair but my Brooks are black and lime green. Quit being so vain!
Run
  • 33m 33s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of T2, there was no clock but my wife shouted I was at 1:02 and my goal was to break 1:40. I knew a normal run from me would easily accomplish this goal. I have been nursing a sore hip/piriformis the few days before so I was worried it would act up on the run. Had the usual rubbery leg feeling but got into a nice rhythm. Did not feel like I was running very fast and was again getting passed. I decided to push a bit but still felt slow. Rounding the curve to the finish, I saw I was going to smash my goal of 1:40, which means my run was fast (for me). Sprinted across the line.

Find out why my piriformis is sore. After that, I really can't believe my run time here.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it out and got to the gatorade. It was starting to get hot and I was a bit dehydrated. Found my wife and she had a time of 1:35:39, pretty close. Found some shade and got some more to drink and some trail mix. Recapped the race and, quite frankly, patted myself on the back. I have been training hard all winter and spring, did my first half marathon in March with an eye towards IM Racine 70.3 on July 15th. It was nice to see training pay off with a excellent race result.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Felt I did well in all three disciplines and my transitions were much faster. This is the third year I have done the race and made significant improvements each time.

2010 - 2:09:16
2011 - 1:44:34
2012 - 1:35:13

Event comments:

Trudy Wakeman does a great job with this race and the community really supports it.

Last updated: 2012-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:54 | 880 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/301
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3 full
Course: Rectangle, swim counterclock-wise. Large buoys and the turns are marked with big triangle buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:33 | 15.5 miles | 20.42 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Some small hills and turns heading away from lake, then a nice straight shot out on Miller to Haligus. Some rolling hills and one particular nasty hill at Mile 10. Downhill last 1/2 mile.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:33 | 04 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Course: Winding through a subdivision, then on the path for a bit, then up the hill to village hall. Back down and finish on path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Lake in the Hills Triathlon

2012-06-11 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4255339

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Lake in the Hills Triathlon
Nice job! Those are some pretty big improvements the last couple years
2012-06-11 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4255492

User image

Expert
Chicago

brigby1 - 2012-06-11 12:01 PM Nice job! Those are some pretty big improvements the last couple years

Agreed!! Those are some big year-over-year gains.  Great job.  Also agree that Trudy has done a really nice job with this race.

2012-06-11 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4255339

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Thanks.  2010 was my first ever tri and I admit I did not know what I was doing (6:05 T1).  Over estimated my training and under estimated the race.  Now I am a seasoned vet.Cool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed