IMG
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 14m 32s
Overall Rank = 659/1713
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 75/192
Pre-race routine:

Planned the race at the end of a family trip to California, starting in San Diego 9 days prior and heading through Disney, LA, and Yosemite prior to getting into San Francisco around noon the day before. So not a great training week heading into the race, but a fun trip. Event check-in was well organized, like the entirety of the event.
Event warmup:

Got up at 4, had a Clif bar and a drink, then rode my bike the two miles through the streets of the city to transition - never imagined doing something like that three years ago. Lots of other racers doing the same thing. Set up transition, then got on the bus to the pier around 5:15. At the pier, dropped off my sweats and sandals, then hung out on the boat chatting for an hour - went by quickly. The boat left about 6:50, sailed out to Alcatraz, they played the national anthem, the horn sounded, and things were underway.
Swim
  • 41m 33s
  • 2414 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the highlight of the race - awesome experience, great fun, and I exceeded my expectations performance wise. Leaped off the boat and started swimming, was a little crowded for the first couple of minutes, but then pretty much open the whole way and I was able to sight it well all the way in. I put my Garmin in my swim cap and it is a pretty straight course from start to finish on the beach. We had unusually calm conditions, which certainly helped. Definitely a unique experience and well worth doing, and in retrospect nothing scary about it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - went just about perfectly for me.
Transition 1
  • 10m 2s
Comments:

This includes the longish run from swim exit to transition - I was a little slow through wetsuit removal and getting my running shoes on, but got a lot of help from volunteers and eventually ran pretty quickly and got onto the bike well.

Need to work on getting oriented quicker at the end of OW swims, I'm always a little slow to get moving.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 25s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Fun bike course, not quite as bad advertised. Was able to be strong on all the uphills and flats, where I was passing folks. As typical on descents, I lost time and position, maybe someday I'll get more comfortable with those. Went by very quickly with plenty of variety and views. Was crowded initially but was never a problem after the first climb.

Get better at descending, and could have pushed a bit harder on the flat section at the beginning and end.
Transition 2
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

This was fine, sat down to put on socks/shoes, and said a quick hello to my family.
Run
  • 1h 17m
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Not what I had hoped, but I ran the whole thing and put in a decent pace on the flats. On the climbs/descents/stairs, I was slow - just not comfortable on that terrain since I never trail run. Definitely a fantastic run that stays interesting the whole way - the beach and sand ladder combo are tough but doable, and add a lot to the experience.

Run harder on the flat section at the beginning and end, get in some trail running and stairs work to be more comfortable.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a protein drink right away, then grabbed a plate of the excellent post race food and met up with my family. Knees and feet took a beating and were hurting, so anxious to sit down for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike descending, and lack of going hard through the trail sections on the run.

Event comments:

Great race, managed to meet or even exceed its reputation. Well organized, tons of great volunteers, and a challenging, fun, and unique course. Perfect weather didn't hurt, either. Thankful I got a lottery spot and was able to show up trained and healthy.

Last updated: 2011-12-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:33 | 2414 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 54/192
Overall: 514/1713
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:02:25 | 18 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 57/192
Overall: 482/1713
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 77
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:17:00 | 08 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 95/192
Overall: 990/1713
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

2012-06-11 11:57 PM
in reply to: #4255400

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon
Great job out there! From what I heard, this year's swim conditions were tougher than year's past so good work!  What a fun race, eh!?
2012-06-12 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4255400

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed