Columbia Triathlon Association
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 14m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 72/269
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30 am with pre-race excitement. Not a great night of sleep, but slept really well the couple of days before. Knowing that the heat would be an issue I really upped my hydration and salt intake the week before the race.

Had my pre-race meal of almond butter, whole grain bread, banana and coffee (which did the job I needed it to do). Short ride from Easton to Cambridge. Coming over the bridge Fly Like an Eagle was on the radio - hmmm, an omen?
Event warmup:

Into transition at 4:50 am. Setup my gear. Did a short warm-up run back to car to get some fluid. Shortly after 5 am the call was made that it was a wetsuit legal race. I have incredibly bad luck about wetsuit legal races (as I am one who benefits from its use) so I was happy to hear the announcement. Ate a half a powerbar and took on some more fluids.
Swim
  • 37m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Having not worn a suit in a long time, I was starting to feel contsrained around the neck when I zipped up. After a minute or two, I felt fine. I started wider out and bit back to avoid the faster swimmers. This was the first race where I actually felt like I pushed myself hard enough. After the first buoy I knew my pace was too fast comfort and I settled in nicely. About .25 mile from swim out, my left calf seized up twice. Each time I floated on back for 10 seconds, worked out the knots and increased my kicking. Crossed the swim out time mat at 37' - 10 minutes faster than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Best swim to date. I felt slightly undertrained in the swim area, but was very happy with my time
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

As I kicked off the wesuit, those calf cramps kicked back. Had to sit on the ground to pull off the wetsuit. Was going to pre-clip, but decided against it. Went sockless for the ride.

No cramps.
Bike
  • 2h 37m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I did some I cadence spinning to find my legs and work the cramps out of the my calf. Once I got out of Cambridge, I went into the big ring and felt good almost the entire way. Last year, I pushed too hard on the bike so I wanted to keep myself in check and not push it. I settled into a pace around 22 mph and just kept at it.

Had guy in front of me get flagged for a questionable littering penalty - might have been 10' past the drop area. I was lucky because I literally ditched my bottle 10 seconds before he did. Was unfortunate to see the paramedics out on the course for a down female biker. Hard to tell what happened, but we did have to slow down for the emergency vehicles.

My pacing was solid and my HR dropped to about 148 for long portions of the ride. I could have rode harder, but knew that I need to save it for the run. Things slowed down a bit on Egypt Rd as the wind and road conditions were not optimal. Nutrition and hydration were spot on and took salt throughout the ride.

2:37:38 was almost 4 minutes better than last year!

I need to practice with the shoes on the bike a more. I was able to dismount though with the shoes on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Made the decision to run with hydration and had some cold bottle of fluid waiting for me. Quickly applied some sunscreen and stopped to kiss the family on the way out of T2.

Nothing in particular.
Run
  • 1h 52m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year, I started to cramp up almost immediately. This year I had none of that. I felt good from the start and went out too quickly at 8:00 pace. I quickly slowed down to a more manageable pace of 8:30ish. My game plan was to take ice at every stop and to walk the stations where I needed fluid. The name of the game was to keep my core temp cool and the ice really did the job.

The run really starts in earnest when you get out of town and the heat of the highway sinks. I felt very strong through mile 6 and it felt like the turnaround couldn't come fast enough. Went out at 8:33 and felt great.

Heading back while the others were coming out was a confidence booster. Things really didn't get tough for me until mile 10; at which point, I convinced myself all I had left was a 5K. Looking at my watch, I was having a hard time doing the fuzzy math, but it looked like a sub 5:15:00 was possible. I chose to ignore that and just keep with the task at hand.

As I got to the final aid stations, you can just about see the finish line a little over a mile away. I estimated that if I could run an 8' mile I'd go sub 5:15:00. It was tough but I HTFU'd and took my shot.

Running down that corral I knew I hit my goal and was just elated. Run time of 1:52:24 was a 12 minute improvement from last year and my finishing time of 5:14:02 was an improvement of 25 minute from 2011!!!

Nothing. I ran smart.
Post race
Warm down:

Doused with the fire hose. Refuled and rehydrated.

Event comments:

Others have said it, but this race is just first class all the way and justifies the cost of the race. The volunteers are just superb. Every station was well provisioned. Best of all, the town and the townspeople really embrace the event. Coming through mile 12 a girl had buckets of cold water and was asking people if they wanted to be doused. It felt great. It is not the greatest race for spectators, but my kids had a great time playing in the river after the swimmers were out of the water.

Last updated: 2011-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 165/269
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3 Short John
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:37:38 | 56 miles | 21.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/269
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:52:24 | 13.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/269
Course: Flat and sunny.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2012-06-11 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4255414

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon
Great job!  Congrats on the PR!
2012-06-11 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4255414

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon
Great job out there.  That fire hose was just what I needed after that run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed