General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-03 12:33 AM

User image

Subject: Base Training

I have been only been running outside for about 2-3 months any other running was done on a treadmill before that(even in high school I never ran very much, I have had very little endurance training, since I started training from tri's August 05). My current pace is anywhere from 7:45 - 8:30/mile I have been running a 3.3 mile loop in 23:55 and a 5.25 mile loop in 41.20. I am wondering how to increase my pace, I know this is something that will take time but I feel like I am spinning my wheels and not seeing much improvement. I was debating whether I should start a base training phase or just continue on my triaining routine until after the season. Then take a break and maybe talk to a coach about a more sturctured training program.

Any suggestions would be great. Also I am looking for a cheap affordable coach who would be willing to help me develop a training program for the rest of this season and possible next year

Thanks Masontwo

BT is a great place to find information!!!

2006-06-03 12:07 PM
in reply to: #442003

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Base Training
Do you have a heart rate monitor?  The first step to getting faster is training slower.  I might be off base here but I'm going to guess you're running those loops fairly hard...maybe even above LT and that's certainly not going to make you faster in the long term.  It might give you an initial bump in speed but after a couple months of training at that pace you'll level out and stop making gains.  Base training with long slow distance at a very easy pace will make you a much better triathlete if you are patient and give it a chance.  You need to build your aerobic foundation before the harder stuff can really be much of a benefit.  I'd suggest you get set up with a nice training program designed to build your base ASAP...you feel like you are spinning your wheels because you most likely are, and what fun is that?   We can certainly help get you straight.
2006-06-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: #442105

User image

I just purchased a Garmin Forerunner 305. Where do you recommend I find a training program that will be what I need mid season? What you said is exactly what is happening I did see a improvement at first but right now I have hit a plateau.

Thanks for any help

Masontwo
2006-06-03 7:06 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Okay, good...you ahve the tool that will help you get on the right track.  Doesn't really matter where in the season you are, if you wnt to make any progress you should start at the beginning with some solid base training.  You could stick with what you've been doing for the rest of the season but that is unlikely to be of much benefit, especially looking to the future.  If you're looking to stick with triathlon for years to come and you would like to continue to build your fitness and speed over those years then starting with base training is the best move you could make.  You could still probably keep a bit of the more intense training  for the rest of the season but the main focus should be getting yourself a nice aerobic base to set yourself up for next season.  Check your private messages.

2006-06-03 11:12 PM

User image

Champion

Yes, patience.  With only 3 months under your belt of real running whatever other training you have been doing since August 05 isn't a long time to establish base to later improve upon with speed.  I'm a little cautious with similiar minutes-only plans in that most runs the first year should be at an easy pace-not trying to beat the clock-just conversational.  No use in working on speed if you are already running at your boundaries....that is just inviting injury pushing yourself that much early on - especially if you may have weight to lose.

The minutes-only plans (which you may be using from here or someone elses) will get you across the finishline and get you a good base after a year for more improvement on a more structured plan.  I will add that instead of speed, you CAN certainly work on efficiency and drills for more improvement NOW-and that will set you up nicely to make speed improvements. Go to 'training plans' and check out the 'first two week details' of the Silver/Gold 'sprint' or 'oly' plans - even the winter maintenance depending on your races and season plan...see how you find the additional workout details provided by D3 to possibly help you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base Training Rss Feed