General Discussion Race Reports! » Southern Indiana Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Southern Indiana Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jeffersonville, Indiana
United States
Southern Indiana Triathlon
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m
Overall Rank = 15/43
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Had to travel about 15 minutes out of the way for gas, so arrived a bit late. Transition area was over-crowded, and I upset a couple people when I had to squish my bike into their rack.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 17m 37s
  • 750 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

First open water swim ever in a race for me. I preferred it over the pool swims. The water was pretty gross, and I did run into a dead fish but other than that it was smooth. Small wave (maybe 10-15 women)
What would you do differently?:

Practice OWS and sighting a little more. But for being my first OWS I was content to finish in the middle of the pack. Avoiding panic was my only goal, and that part was a success!
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Did fine considering it was first transition with a wetsuit. Got some seaweed stuck in my biking shoes (which weren't actually biking shoes at all since I FORGOT the darn things)

Put on biking shoes instead of running shoes. Shake the seaweed off of me.
Bike
  • 35m 7s
  • 12.53 miles
  • 21.41 mile/hr
Comments:

MAJOR PROBLEM = forgot to pack my bike shoes! I had to resort to wearing my Lunaracers on speedplay pedals. Needless to say, my feet were slipping and sliding off the pedals throughout the duration. Not an ideal situation. Hope to never make that mistake again.

Remember my damn shoes!
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

On the bright side, not having to change into running shoes resulted in a quick transition!
Run
  • 15m 20s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Two of us women headed out of transition and onto the run together. They announced we were second and third respectively. At the 1 mile aid station, we were instructed to "go around the red pole." We did, and ended up heading back towards the finish line. However, these were not the correct instructions and we ended up missing a mile of the course. Since the 4th place female was about 22 minutes behind us, the race directors just added 8 minutes onto our times and it did not change our status as 2nd and 3rd females.

Memorize the course. There were also some arrows on the ground from other races, so there was definitely confusion.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran the (actual) course- 3.1 miles

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sighting well. I felt like I swam all over that river. Swimming ability. The biking shoes issue. And not running the correct course. Still, just wanted to do this race as a workout. Will RACE my next tri in two weeks, as long as the shin feels ok.

Event comments:

For the most part, volunteers were wonderful. I just wish they had yelled when they saw us going the wrong way. Transition area was too small, course could have been better marked, etc. Music, announcing names at the finish, and post-race food were all nice. This race definitely has potential and I think it will end up being a great event once they work the kinks out.

Last updated: 2012-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:37 | 750 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 24/43
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Pflex wetsuit
Course: Up river 150, circle buoy and downstream 500. Ohio Rover. Filthy water and dead fish were abundant. Sharp, rocky bottom as well. Pleanty of kayakers and lifeguards. Also included 150 meter run to transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:07 | 12.53 miles | 21.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 9/43
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Flat, mostly fast with rough roads at the start/ finish. It was not a closed course and several times I was stuck behind traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:15:20 | 02 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 15/43
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 2:40 PM

User image

New user
KY
Subject: Southern Indiana Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-06-12 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4255933

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Southern Indiana Triathlon - Sprint Course
Well, this will definitely be a race you remember!!  Dead fish, no bike shoes, wrong direction on the run... memorable!  I think you had a great race... you didn't panic on the swim, your bike speed was awesome considering your shoes were sliding all over the place, and fab run time on a sore shin!!  And OA 2nd female??  Watch out next race, MMMer Erin is coming to getcha!!
2012-06-14 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4257104

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Southern Indiana Triathlon - Sprint Course
Wow, I'm amazed how positive you were about the whole race.  I think I would have been pouting after the dead fish!  Instead you kept smiling past the fish, past the missing shoes, and past the mis-direction on the run.  Congrats on your first race OWS, sounds like you stayed calm and had a fantastic swim.  I'm highly impressed with your bike time, even without accounting for the lack of shoes and open course.  Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Southern Indiana Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed