22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 54m 33s
Overall Rank = 186/595
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 20/46
Pre-race routine:

Friday:

I woke up early and met my friend Kenichi at the bus stop. We headed off to the airport at 7:15...it was going to be a LONG day of traveling.

When we got to the airport we met up with the rest of our group. There were 5 of us going to the Ironman including myself. Kenichi, the LBS owner and 4-time Hawaii Ironman, Kazuhiro, Kazuyoshi and Kazuhiko. A LOT of Kazus I know, luckily we address people by their last name here in Japan otherwise I would have been in real trouble.

Anyway, after a 1 hour bus ride to the airport, a 1 and a half hour flight to Nagasaki (and a 40 minute delay because of the weather), another 30 minute bus to the port and finally a 1 hour Jet Foil ride to the Island, not to mention all the waiting around in between, it was 4:30.

We took a short walk to our hotel and checked in, then we headed off to the Ironman Expo, again just a short walk, to check in there. Got all the usual stuff, Pre-swim bag, bike bag, run bag, special needs, race numbers etc. etc. After that we headed back to the hotel and 3 of us decided to go out for a short run before dinner.

Then it was time for the carbo party. We all jumped in a cab and headed up to the hall at T2 which was just a short ride away. As usual in Japan, the food was excellent. We probably stayed for about an hour, ate, watched a bit of the festivities and then we walked the 15 minutes or so back to the hotel.

After that it was time to unpack the bikes and set them up. It REALLY helps having the LBS owner in your group when you're doing this. Especially if you're as useless as me when it comes to bike mechanics. Anyway, everything went back together nicely and all seemed to be in working order.

By now it was getting close to 8, and after a VERY long day, everyone was pretty tired. I don't remember exactly, but we were all in bed pretty early. Our room had two beds and the other three were sleeping on futons...thankfully I got one of the beds.

Saturday:

After a good 8 hours sleep, we woke up to some light rain. But it was kind of nice to relax for a few hours. After a buffet breakfast we headed back to the Expo site for the mandatory race briefing. I'd missed the English one the day before and it was ALL in Japanese...I didn't understand a thing!! Thankfully Kenichi translated the important things to me.

We left the expo and walked up the road to the car rental place to get our car for the day. After we picked it up we quickly headed back to the hotel to drop off a few things before we headed out to check out the bike course. I would have to say that one of the reasons for my success during the race on the following day was due to seeing the bike course.

I knew it was hilly, but I had NO idea how hilly and I really wanted to see it first hand. Until the 60km point there were very few hills, just a few short climbs but nothing significant. At the 60km point, an intersection that we would pass 4 times on race day, we turned left and there came our first climb of the day.

I was happy to see that while it was long, it wasn't so steep and I knew I'd be able to spin up it pretty easily. Slowly, but easily. After that there was a technical down hill before we wound around to the longest climb on the course, which lead back to the intersection, that we would have to do three times.

Once again it was a LONG hill, but again, it wasn't a killer by any stretch of the imagination. Especially when I think about the hills that we do in training. However I knew I was going to lose time on it as although it wasn't steep, there was NO way I was going to push when climbing it either. I had to save my legs for the run.

On the other side of the hill was a GREAT downhill that lead back to the intersection. Kazuhiro told me that another friend of ours had got up to 80km/h on it last year, so that was the speed to beat.

Back at the intersection we were now at the 90km of the bike course, were we would have to turn left again, but going in the opposite direction to complete two laps that would both finish with the previous hill climb. But we didn't bother to drive around the loop. The guys told me that it was just rolling hills and that it got a little windy out there as you were riding along the ocean for the most part. Anyway, I was just happy that I'd seen the significant hill climbs for the race and knew what to expect.

So we headed back to T2, just to make sure we knew the way more than anything, and then on to our hotel after stopping at a convenience store to pick up some lunch. Thankfully by this time the rain had stopped for some time and the road had dried up a bit. So we ate lunch, then I quickly nicked back to the Expo to buy a T-shirt and a great Kappa one piece tri-suit that was 50% off, before we jumped on our bikes and headed to Tomie to check our bikes in.

Kazuyoshi drove the car with all our gear and the rest of us rode. It was actually the perfect ride to warm up, only 17km with a few little hills just to get the heart pumping a little. After we got to Tomie we checked our bikes, bike bag and run bags in and then it was time to throw on the wetsuit and go for a swim.

I hadn't worn my suit since IMWA last year, so I was happy that it felt really comfortable. We could only swim the first 100m off the beach however as it was low tide and there was some sharp coral blocking our path. So we just swam up and down a few times...felt like I was back in the pool. I also met Sarah Fien from Australia, last year's winner, while in the water. We spoke for a bit and she was really nice. It continues to amaze me how friendly the pros are.

After our swim we all jumped back in the car and headed back to the hotel. Before our buffet dinner a few of us went up for a bath. I took the razor up and had my final shave down before the big day. Kenichi tried to get me to shave my arms, but I wouldn't give in to the peer pressure.

Dinner was great. Very good selection of food, although I mostly had beef and rice as I didn't want to eat anything too unusual from the norm. After dinner we all headed back up stairs, made our final preperations and then it was time for bed.

I had taken a relaxation pill earlier, and after the swim and dinner I was feeling pretty tired. However, unfortunately I woke up after sleeping for only an hour to go to the toilet and couldn't get back to sleep for almost two hours. I'll have to take something a little stronger next time.
Event warmup:

We all woke up at about 3:30am, had our bento supplied by the hotel for breakfast, got ready and then headed out the door to catch the bus to Tomie. Although I had lost a bit of sleep, I still managed to get about 6 hours, so I felt ok. The thought of an Ironman tends to wake you up anyhow.

When we got to Tomie we all got body marked and then headed off to our bikes and made sure everything was in order. I pumped up the Vitorias to 9 bars, the roads were beautiful and smooth, reset the bike computer and went off to fill up the bottle with sports drink. But amazingly they didn't have an aid station set up, I couldn't believe it.

To make matters worse, after they did get organised they only had water and no sports drink. Luckily there are vending machines everywhere here in Japan and Tomie beach is no exception. So I bought a sports drink, filled the bottle and everything was ready to go.

We had quite a bit of time before the start, so I mostly just walked around and tried to calm the nerves. Finally 6 o'clock rolled around and it was time to start putting on the wetsuit. Got it on, threw my clothes in the pre-swim bag, handed it in and then headed down to the beach with the rest of the sheep.

Had a little bit of a warm up, mostly just to make sure the new goggles still felt good and the right amount of tension on the strap. Then the pro's names were announced before we all headed about 100m out for the start. The pros went off 2 minutes before us, although that 2 minutes seemed like an eternity. I looked at the starter, he had the gun in the air and it was time...BANG!!
Swim
  • 1h 13m 6s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Man, I got absolutely smashed the entire way out. This was only really my third triathlon (HIM and IMWA last year) and I had never experienced such an aggressive start. It was also my first wade start, which was a little foreign to me.

My biggest problem was that I was too close to the rope and I was right in the thick of it. It had only been about 30 seconds when someone's hand crashed straight into my right goggle. It shifted, but thankfully it didn't come off or lose it's seal. There is NO way I could have stopped where I was to fix it anyway.

I just kept going and knew that it would sort itself out sooner or later. Another problem I think is that Japanese tend to be bad swimmers and some of their navagational skills left a LOT to be desired. It was pretty bad until the first turn buoy were we turned right before heading to the next one to turn right again and back to the beach.

After making the second turn it was obvious that we were swimming against an outgoing tide and the chop was pretty big. There was still a little bit of hustle and bustle going on, but it had sorted itself out for the most part. When I got back to the beach I took a look at my watch and it was at 35 minutes. I knew I would have to swim pretty quick if I was going to go sub 1:10, but close enough was good enough.

It was a pleasant change from the start by this point. At the turn there was nobody around me except for one other guy. I basically had a clear swim for the entire second lap. Unfortunately that meant I didn't get to draft much, but I was just happy to have my own space. Sighting was also easy as I was just able to follow the rope that linked the buoys, just looking up occasionally mostly to check for people around me.

The best part was that I was swimming well within myself. I really felt like I was cruising. I wondered if I should push a little harder, that's how easy it was, but I thought there was plenty of time left over the course of the day to push.

I got out of the water at about 1:13, which was a little over my 1:10 goal, but I felt so good that I wasn't really concerned. The race hadn't really started yet.
What would you do differently?:

Position myself a little better at the start. I really got crunched and I think I would have had a far better swim had I positioned myself on the outside.

Other than that I was happy with my swim. I was a little off my goal of 1:10, but I had completed it so easily, particularly the second lap, and I felt great when I got out of the water. That's the MOST important thing in an IM.
Transition 1
  • 08m 36s
Comments:

As usual, a little slow. After asking the volunteer to pull off my top my bib got stuck around my ankles. But I didn't panick, it's a long day and there is no point sweating over a few seconds.

I took my time, made sure I had everything and headed out the back of the tent. Probably had about 100m from the tent to the bike start. I just ran nice and easy with the bike though, there was no rush. The race wasn't going to really begin until I was 60km into the bike.

I really need to get a new Desoto top with a zip. I can't get off my pullover by myself and it always loses me time. Once I get a little faster I'll probably hurry a little more through transition as well, but until then I'm not really too worried.
Bike
  • 6h 17m
  • 180.2 kms
  • 28.68 km/hr
Comments:

I had decided to ditch the HRM for the race. After looking at the bike course I knew that it would be up and down with the hills and basically useless. I also wanted to focus on what I was doing and just go by feel. When you wear the thing every day in training, you get a pretty good feel for your HR anyway.

I started out very easily on the bike. I knew the hills didn't kick in until the 60km mark and until that time I just wanted to get comfortable. Unbelievably it started to rain lightly after being on the bike for less than 20 minutes. Thankfully it didn't last for long and it had dried up just after the 30km mark.

I continued to ride easily, however to my surprise I was holding 30km/h through each of the 10km splits and when I got to the 60km mark I was almost spot on 2 hours into the bike. It was now time for the race to begin.

I turned left and headed toward the first hill climb for the day. I took it very easily though. The plan was to NEVER push on the hills all day and that's what I did. I dropped back into my 39/25, sat up and just took it easy. I couldn't believe people were already going passed me huffing and puffing. Didn't they realise there was still 120km PLUS a marathon to go!?

Unfortunately the first part of the down hill was quite technical so I wasn't able to take full advantage of it. The road was also a still wet from the ealier rain. After a few kilometres it opened up though and I was able to get back a bit of time. Actually, I must say, the bike was flying on the downhills. I was rounding people up left, right and centre. The Zipps were proving their worth.

By this time I had eaten half a banana (near the start) and started on a Power Bar, but that didn't seem to be working for me. I continued to keep drinking a lot though. I don't know how much as I was only carrying one bottle, so if it was half empty then I would toss it and grab another at the aid station.

I worked my way around to the other long hill climb were once again I took it easy. I was losing ground on other riders, but I seemed to make it up easily on the downhills, which was a far better place to push I thought. There was a great group of kids near the top to help push you over the top, although I never really felt like I needed it. But it was better than nothing.

It was then time for the long downhill were I opened up. I could only manage 67km/h though. Not even close the 80km mark set by our friend last year. Mind you, he's a BIG guy. Got to the bottom of the hill and back to the intersection were I turned left and headed out for my first loop.

This was about the 90km mark and there was a nice long flat part to start which allowed me to take in some much needed nutrition. Again I went with the Power Bar. I took a few bites, but my stomach still wasn't taking it very well. I was also taking an Endurloyte every hour so it was time for another one of those.

As the guys had told me the day before, it was WINDY out the back. I was told that it was particularly windy on race day however. But I just continued to work my way around, again, never pushing out of my comfort zone. By the 120km mark I was at about 4:05 and had dropped off the 30km/h mark a little. But I was still ahead of where I wanted to be and the best thing was that I felt good.

At this point it was time to climb the long hill for the second time and then back down the hill to the intersection to start the second and final loop. My stomach was feeling a little better by this point. I had ditched the Power Bar and had eaten another half a banana and a few cookies and that seemed to do the trick.

By the time I got around to the 150km mark I was at about 5:13, but I knew that coming home would be quick as it had a net elevation loss. I climbed the long hill for the last time, were I passed the 160km mark and then headed back down to the intersection were I showed my two hair bands around my wrist and blew by it for the last time.

As I expected the last 20 km was pretty quick. Actually the last 10km was really quick, it was definately sub 20 minutes. I took the few small streets that lead back to T2 and I must say, I felt great considering I had just ridden 180km. The best thing was that I had done it in 6:17 and had about 4:20 to complete the marathon and come in under the 12 hour mark.

I still haven't worked out my race nutrition. I had Power Bars during training, but it's not the same. I just couldn't stomach them. I think next time I'll just tape a few Power Gels to the top tube and take bananas and cookies as they seemed to work well.

Other than my nutrition though I was REALLY pleased with my ride. It really was a great reward for ALL the hard training rides I had done. I had done 180km over a hilly course in just a little under 30km/h...comfortably.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Much better than T1. Gave my bike to the volunteer, another one was holding my bag for me, grabbed that and headed into the tent. Threw on a fresh pair of socks, my shoes and cap and I was out the door.

I hadn't been to the toilet all day though and I needed to go, so I thought it was best to go now rather than after I got started running. I was happy to see that not only my bladder was full but that my urine was a nice, clear colour.

Nothing really. If it hadn't have been for the toilet break my time would have been around 3~4 minutes, which is pretty good.

Again, once I start getting faster and if there is an Hawaii spot on the line then I'll probably ditch the fresh socks and put some elastic laces in my shoes, but until then...
Run
  • 4h 10m 51s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 05m 56s  min/km
Comments:

I hit the run with a goal of going sub 4, but knowing that if I held 6min/km (4:12) that I would accomplish the main goal of the day of going sub 12. I felt great when I started running. My legs felt relatively fresh and I settled into a nice rhythm quickly.

Kenichi had told me to go out a little quicker than your intended pace over the first 2km and then back off as it would feel much easier to hold your intended race pace. So I did that. I ran the first 2km in exactly 10 minutes and then I slowly backed off. I started to run 5:30/km and I hoped to maintain that for the remainder of the marathon.

I was through 10km in 54 minutes and had managed to maintain my 5:30 pace nicely. The best thing was I knew I had 6 minutes in the "bank" on that 12 hour goal.

From there on it got a little harder. I was having real trouble with my nutrition as I think I ate/drank too much at the beginning of the run. One big mistake was taking some cola as I exited T2. I really didn't need it at that stage. I actually skipped a few aid stations between 10 and 20km which seemed to do the trick. However I was grabbing water at every station and pouring it over my head. It wasn't hot, but hot enough to need some cooling down.

The first lap was a little demorilising as we had to pass the markers for the second lap. But I just had to knuckle down and keep moving. I hit the rolling hills at the 15km mark and while they weren't too bad, I knew it would take a bit of an effort on the second lap.

I hit the 21km mark almost exactly on 2 hours. I had slowed to 6min/km now but I still had my 6 minutes in the "bank". My mind was working over time at this point. Will I, wont I?? I tried to be positive though. I had come this far and I wasn't about to throw away the possibility of going sub 12 because of a weak mind. That's not me.

I had made an agreement with myself that I could walk the aid stations during the second lap, which I did. I also started to drink cola again. I felt like I was running on sugar rushes between aid stations. Thankfully they were only about 1.5km apart so it wasn't long until I got my sugar rush again.

At about 25km I had given back about a minute out of my "bank". By 30km this had become about 2. My mind continued to do the math, over and over again. I was probably running about 6:15/km at this point. However I knew the hills were fast approaching at the 35km mark and I tried to pick up the pace a few times between aid stations to get some time back in the "bank" for them.

I managed to do a few sub 6 minute kilometres which put me in good spirits. I hit the hills and I still had about 4 minutes in the "bank". I was alternating between cola and sports drink at aid stations and I was tired, but I felt like I was going to make it. My mind however, continued to do the math. I knew I could run 7min/km over the final 5 or so kilometres and still make it.

At the 38km mark the cramp hit, just as I had expected it to. But my hard headedness wouldn't give in to it. I slowed to a walk for a second, it passed and I conitnued on slowly. This happened a few more times, but NOTHING was going to stop me now.

When I hit the 40km mark I went straight ahead through the intersection and headed for home, competitors on there first lap had to turn left for their second. At this point I started to get a little emotional. All those months of hard training, early mornings, sacrafices upon sacrafices were finally going to pay off...and pay off BIG!!

My legs were still trying to cramp, but I just sucked it up and kept going. I remember telling them that they could cramp as much as they liked once we got to the finish line, but not now. They seemed to accept the agreement.

I don't know how, but even with the cramp I think my last kilometre was sub 6 minutes. It's amazing what the adrenalin and people screaming will do for you. I made the final few turns before I headed across the moat bridge, and into the castle were the finish was held. I made the left turn under the gates as the sounds got louder and louder.

I hit the blue carpet, it was my time once again. I ran down the finish to the sound of AC/DC, which seemed fitting being from Oz and all, gave the crowds a high 5 and looked up at the clock...11:54!! I clinched my fists and looked down the barrel of the camera...I DID IT!!

I don't know. I think that physically I could have ran sub 4, but mentally I didn't have it in me. I really have to learn to suffer more on the run. I know it's a good time, but if I want to go to Kona then that's one area I have to work on.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and towel and just walked around for a bit. I felt GREAT!! My legs were stiff, but compared to IMWA, I was nimble. I had something to drink, spoke to a friend of one of the guys I came with and then headed back to the hotel for a well earned bath and lie down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I had the perfect race really. When I think back, I had 12 hours covered all day. My mind tried to play tricks with me on the run, but it was never really in doubt. The best thing is I did it without ever really getting out of my comfort zone.

I took an entire 40 minutes off my previous time at IMWA only 6 months ago. Not only that, I did it on a much harder course, although I must say, the weather was perfect.

While almost all of that 40 minutes came on the run, I think the biggest reason for my improvement came due to my much improved bike strength. I was able to ride the 180km comfortably this time which left me in a far better position heading into the run. I blew up on the run last year...but that never happened today.

For the record, the rest of the guys also went really well. Particularly the LBS owner, Kenichi. He was FIRST in the 40~44AG!! However, unfortunately he couldn't accept his 5th Hawaii slot because of family commitments. Two other guys had PB's and other was a first timer. Here's how they went:

Kenichi Chiba 10:04:50 AG40~44 1/93
Kazuhiro Kitahara 10:45:56 AG30~34 12/84 (PB)
Kazuyoshi Nakadaira 13:55:33 AG30~34 49/84 (PB)
Kazuhiko Mukawa 14:37:50 AG40~44 87/93 (First IM)

Event comments:

As usual Ironman put on a great race. A few things disappointed me though. Firstly there was no aid station set up in the morning to fill our bottles, so I had to use a vending machine and buy a sports drink. Also, post race was not so good. Nobody came to see if I was alright. I was OK, but it's still nice to know you're being taken care of after an event like that.

On a positive note though there were far more aid stations on the run than at IMWA, which was really good. It's the one place you really need them during an IM.

When I compare it to IMWA there are some pros and cons, as there always will be, but overall it was a great race and I look forward to going again next year...can you say "SUB 11!?"

Last updated: 2006-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:06 | 3800 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/46
Overall: 150/595
Performance: Good
Suit: Full DeSoto T1
Course: 2 laps of an out and back triangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 65F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:17:00 | 180.2 kms | 28.68 km/hr
Overall: 202/595
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: A very hilly course with 2 laps in part.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:10:51 | 42.2 kms | 05m 56s  min/km
Overall: 238/595
Performance: Good
Course: A fairly flat two loop course with some hills from 15~20km and 35~40km.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-03 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: Ironman Japan

2006-06-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: #442050

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Ironman Japan
Another fantastic race report!! Thanks for the great read and congratulations in meeting your time goal. You executed the perfect race, which came from months of dedication to your training. Way to go!
2006-06-03 12:47 PM
in reply to: #442080

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON

Great race, and great report, as usual. That's a great improvement over 6 short months! Awesome!

2006-06-03 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
CONGRATS!! Great race. Great report, and stunning improvement in only 6 months!!! Awesome job!!!!!
2006-06-03 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Awesome Race!
2006-06-03 1:56 PM

Master
Colorado
Awesome race, awesome write-up.

2006-06-03 2:30 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Fantastic race there - excellent work!
2006-06-03 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Congratulations on an awesome race, mate!

Of course, perfect execution can only stem from perfect preparation, so it's good to see all that training paying off.

Sooooo, what's next?

Félix

2006-06-04 4:25 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Just like your last IM race report, this one was awesome. Thanks for all the details and the inspiration. Congratulations on beating your goal time! Great job!
2006-06-04 6:10 AM

User image

Regular
Congratulations. Great race and great RR.
2006-06-04 6:42 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congratualtions.  great report and Amazing race!!!  Congrats on meeting your goals too  

2006-06-04 2:27 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Shaving your armpits could have saved you 33 seconds!! Just joking.. GREAT RACE AND GREAT REPORT!!!!

mmm.. Japanese food.
2006-06-04 3:37 PM
in reply to: #442545

User image

Expert
WA
wow, i am IMPRESSED!  what a great time!  awesome!
2006-06-04 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the amazing race report! I loved all the details!

Wow, racing in Japan... who cool is that?

And you seem like a real natural for this sport! I am sure you will get a Kona spot next year!
2006-06-04 4:44 PM

User image

Congratulations on a great race and thanks for the awesome race report!!!!
2006-06-04 5:01 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations on a great race!!!  That's a huge improvement on your last time!  Great race report, too.

2006-06-04 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

Great race!  Congratulations on your huge accomplishment.  Wow, someday, I'd like to return to Japan and do a race there.  So... was carb loading the night before pasta or sushi?

2006-06-04 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Holy crap great race!!! and great race report...
2006-06-04 11:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Thanks for the detail. What a race!
What a battle you had on the run and you got through it.
40 minutes improvement over you last race is just unreal.

I think you can say Sub 11!!!

Congratlations Trav all that hard work paid off and you acheived your goal for the day.
2006-06-05 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

like everyone said, great race.

I like how u can do all the MATH during the run....i was just feeling too damm miserable then to think too much...ahhaha

have a good rest of the week bro  

2006-06-05 6:57 AM

Champion

Great race and fantastic report.  Wow what a day and a smoking fast run you had too.  I can't do that time for a stand-alone marathon!  Simply awesome.  Congratulations Ironman!!!

2006-06-05 7:15 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Great report and great race! Congrats on meeting your goal time and sticking to your game plan. Sounds like a veteran IMer to me.
2006-06-05 7:38 AM
in reply to: #442572

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Awesome writing and an even better performance.  Thanks for sharing your self-analysis on your performance too, it is very instructional.  What a great read, I'm all tingly thinking about someday maybe possibly doing an IM.  Thanks again.

2006-06-05 11:31 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Great job - great report!

An amazing job getting through the adversity to meet your goal!

Shane
2006-06-05 10:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
WOW! Travis!!!!! CONGRATS!
Fantastic RACE and an awesome RR.
Loved reading it - every detail.
You are the KING
Well done.