General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOTW Best ways to cut your transition times down Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-11 3:37 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: TOTW Best ways to cut your transition times down
Another good timely topic is how to get free speed. Coach Dan does his transition clinics and I think Coach Shanks does them too now. Lets put some good ideas down for the newbies. My best advice is PRACTICE THEM. Next up is subbing yanks for shoe laces or using zoot shoes without socks for shorter course events. Start listing the good advice here for the NOOBS.

Edited by phatknot 2012-06-11 3:38 PM

2012-06-11 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4256115

New user
Savannah, GA
Subject: RE: TOTW Best ways to cut your transition times down

Practice is definitely the most important. You also want to think about what order you want to do everything in, and lay out everything in such a way that you can grab it without thinking (because there have definitely been some swims where I wasn't thinking straight by the time I got to my bike). Here's some things I do:

- I don’t worry about drying off after the swim. You just get wet when you start sweating on the bike anyway.

- Lay stuff out in the order you'll put it on so you don't forget it and you don't mix things up. Also, angle things so that a quick, straight motion is all you need to put them on. (sunglasses open, lenses down, inside the helmet, for example)

- You'll hear all sorts of methods for clipping the shoes to the bike for a fast get away, but I don't do it. I've passed so many people on the bike while they try to struggle into their shoes that I've decided that at the amateur level it's not worth clipping the shoes the bike beforehand (unless you've practiced it a ton). I'm sure others will argue this point though.

- Think about the direction your bike is racked relative to other bikes. It doesn't have to be pointing towards the exit, especially since you have to run down the aisle to get to the center first. I think it's more important to have room to put your gear on and get out than get stuck with your bike hooked on the bar or another bike because there wasn't quite enough room to face the exit.

- This isn't exactly a transition thing, but make sure your bike is in an easy gear so you're not struggling to get started pedaling when you take off.

- In T2, I put my running shoes on top of my hat and number. I’m already bent down to put my shoes on, so then I just grab those two things and put them on while I’m running towards the exit. There’s no rule that says you can’t be already running while you’re putting your gear on.

Another note – respect other people’s areas. That’s more important than the half a second you’ll save by accidently knocking someone else’s stuff around.

Jonathan

2012-06-11 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
T2 put on race belt while you are running leaving transition, I know it sounds obvious, but I just started doing it this year and I realized I was putting it on just standing there
2012-06-11 4:44 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Oh do I have tons to say.  :P

Big things for the newbies:  If you can do it while moving, do it moving.  Referring to putting on a hat, race belt, etc.  Don't stand there.

- Have a plan and don't give yourself options in transition.  If you have to think, you're doomed.

- Bend down only ONCE for each transition.  Yes...ONCE.  If you wear socks on the bike, like I do, place them on your helmet (which is on your handlebars) and bring your feet up to you, not your body down to them.

- If you do nothing else on race day, please do this:
Walk to the swim finish and look to see what you will see at the end of the swim.  Jog, not walk, from there all the way to your bike paying attention to landmarks (not bikes, etc).  Point to all the items you will need for the bike. Jog to the mount line and place your foot on it.  Look up the road to see what the terrain looks like.  Turn around, you are not standing on the dismount line.  Jog to your rack and point at the items you need for the run.  Jog to the run exit and WALK AWAY!

You are done.  You just showed you have everything you need.  All you can do from this point is mess it up.

Hope that helps.

2012-06-11 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Spivey, GA
Know where your bike is in transition.  I know I'm not the only one to run into T1 and have to stop and look around for 30 seconds to find my bike.
2012-06-11 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4256323

User image

Veteran

treadster - 2012-06-11 5:54 PM Know where your bike is in transition.  I know I'm not the only one to run into T1 and have to stop and look around for 30 seconds to find my bike.

+1  good points beckjon and Coach Dan

+1 treadster.  Yes, know where your spot is, and know what the end of your aisle looks like.  You might use chalk marks if the transition area is in a parking lot, or use a sprinkle of flour if the transition area is on grass.  Learn to recognize the orange beach towel, etc. at the end of your aisle.  I've taped a bright lime green swim cap to the rack beside my bike, per Coach Dan.  Whatever works.

T1: cap and goggles off, wetsuit off, helmet on, shoes on, grab bike, go!  Everything else can be done pre-race (body glide, sunscreen) or while riding (including putting feet in shoes - practice with your rubber bands).  No socks in a Sprint distance.  My sunglasses are rubber banded to my handle bars.  As I come out of the swim I say to myself "goggles down, helmet on, grab bike, go".

T2: bike in rack, helmet off, running shoes on, go!  Anything else can be done while running.  Feet are out of bike shoes from just before the dismount line.  You can put on your hat and race number belt while running.  As I put my foot down at the dismount line I say to myself "rack bike, helmet off, shoes on, go".

I'm a student of Coach Dan's transition clinics.  My transition times at Blalocks were T1: 21.8 seconds and T2: 31.1 seconds.  30 to 45 seconds of free speed compared to those ahead of me in my age group.  There were some teenagers who were 10 seconds faster than me.

It's like shooting free throws, anyone can do it.  Trimming a minute off a 5k takes a lot more work and time than trimming a minute off a beginner's total transition times.  Practice.  

Practice with only a swim cap, goggles, helmet, bike shoes, bike, running shoes, and race number belt.  You don't need anything else.  No buckets, no towels, no socks, no food, no sunscreen, etc.  Set up your practice to run 100 yards to your stuff, this will get your heart rate up to closer simulate race conditions. 

2012-06-11 8:55 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

I didn't see this mentioned, but keep it simple! The more you have to worry about, the slower you're going to be.

The less, the better, the faster.

Edited by d00d 2012-06-11 8:56 PM
2012-06-12 5:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia

I will add a few!  I have learned from many mistakes since I am a frequent racer.

- Keep your transition simple! And keep your area "small".  I like to keep "my transition space" confined to the size of a hand towel.  The less stuff, the better. Minimalist thinking rules here....  I have seen transition areas look like a party at the beach!  Large towel, bucket, lots of stuff, etc.

- Get to the race earlier than everyone else and get a end position on the rack.  Makes setting up easier for me.

- As Dan pointed out, keep moving!  If you aren't moving, you aren't racing anymore.  Anything you can put on while moving on the bike or run the better (hat, race belt, glasses, etc).

- Get there early, set your transition up, then do a walk through (a couple of times if you have too)

- I ALWAYS mark the lane leading to my rack with an arrow on the pavement with talc.  Yes, a big white arrow on the ground.  As I am running through on T1, I can look down and I know exactly where to find my bike. 

- During the last part of the swim and bike, play through in your mind what you have to do in your transitions.  Remind yourself of the sequence you need to go through. 

2012-06-12 5:34 AM
in reply to: #4256245

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
beckjon - 2012-06-11 5:19 PM

- You'll hear all sorts of methods for clipping the shoes to the bike for a fast get away, but I don't do it. I've passed so many people on the bike while they try to struggle into their shoes that I've decided that at the amateur level it's not worth clipping the shoes the bike beforehand (unless you've practiced it a ton). I'm sure others will argue this point though.

Preach on Brother!

An uber fast guy tipped me off to this a long time ago.  I've looked to see who is around me when I enter T1, exit T1, and then who I pass in the first 200 yards.  It is extremely rare for someone to even stay with me who does a flying mount. 

It is faster to leave the shoes clipped in as you dismount and run into T2.

2012-06-12 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4257010

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
brown_dog_us - 2012-06-12 6:34 AM
beckjon - 2012-06-11 5:19 PM

Preach on Brother!

An uber fast guy tipped me off to this a long time ago.  I've looked to see who is around me when I enter T1, exit T1, and then who I pass in the first 200 yards.  It is extremely rare for someone to even stay with me who does a flying mount. 

It is faster to leave the shoes clipped in as you dismount and run into T2.

I would disagree with both of you on this one.  It is easy to get better at both slipping in and out of the shoe.  I can't tell you how many people I pass in T1 running hard with the bike.  I get the flying dismount is a little more advanced, but a long transition run with cycling shoes can ruin a T2.  For example, West Point...you have to run up hill then down hill in cycling shoes...you just can't do it as fast as bear feet.

Just practice taking them on and off in the first few miles of your training rides while you are warming up.  It will become second nature.  I do a two stage approach.   About a mile out from the line, I un-velco my shoes, but leave my feet in the shoe.  As I get closer to the line, I reach down, put a finger in the shoe loop on the back, and pull out and place them on top.  It take a few seconds.   If you do not want to do a flying dismount, you will still be faster running in bear feet!

2012-06-12 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

I can actually run in my bike shoes (not fast, but nice jog).  I wear Sidi Road shoes and leave them unbuckled as I'm running.  I slip them on my feet after putting on my glasses and helmet then jog out of transition and hop on the bike.  Once I'm up to speed I work the latches.

I haven't worked enough with the shoes clipped in.  I keep catching one of them on the ground.

Shoes stay clipped in for T2, I take my glasses off and put them in my jersey pocket about a mile out from transition, that way I don't mess with them in T2.  Bike racked, helmet off, running shoes on, grab hat and #belt and go.  Everything can be put on in the first 1/2 mile out of transition and typically I need to slow down that part of my races anyways to not blow up

2012-06-12 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4257100

New user
Savannah, GA
thecaptin - 2012-06-12 8:08 AM

I would disagree with both of you on this one.  It is easy to get better at both slipping in and out of the shoe.  I can't tell you how many people I pass in T1 running hard with the bike.  I get the flying dismount is a little more advanced, but a long transition run with cycling shoes can ruin a T2.  For example, West Point...you have to run up hill then down hill in cycling shoes...you just can't do it as fast as bear feet.

Just practice taking them on and off in the first few miles of your training rides while you are warming up.  It will become second nature.  I do a two stage approach.   About a mile out from the line, I un-velco my shoes, but leave my feet in the shoe.  As I get closer to the line, I reach down, put a finger in the shoe loop on the back, and pull out and place them on top.  It take a few seconds.   If you do not want to do a flying dismount, you will still be faster running in bear feet!

I do agree with the flying dismount, and I've used the method you describe to get out of my shoes. It's just leaving T1 that I think it's best to have shoes on. I think that leaving the shoes clipped to the bike prior to starting the ride should be one of the last things someone should implement as they improve their transitions. There are too many things that can go wrong unless it's practiced a lot.

The worst I've seen was volunteering in one race where someone ran his bike out of transition, jumped on the bike, hit the shoe on the ground, and had it pop off the pedal. He had to stop, go back, pick it up, put on his shoes, then remount the bike. His effort to save 5 seconds cost him a minute or two. The mistake most people make is to try to put their shoes on before getting up to speed. Those are the ones I usually fly past right out of transition as they struggle to get that second shoe on that won't quite go.

And to those wondering how much difference this really makes, I learned that lesson early. One of my first races, I had the fastest S/B/R total time in my age group but still got 2nd because someone else had much faster transitions.

Jonathan

2012-06-12 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4257312

User image

Master

Wiping out trying to put shoes on while riding or trying to jump off of the bike is never faster than running with shoes on.  I am not coordinated enough to do a flying mount or dismount, so I'll always be that girl running with the shoes on (or with the shoes in her hands).

Dan's walk-through is a great idea.  I do this at every race and it really helps you get mentally prepared and makes sure you did not forget anything.

I tie my shoes really loosely and stomp them on (one stomp per foot).  Cheap and easy and my shoes are never too tight.

And, roll socks into donuts (or certain family planning devices) and roll onto your foot in one motion.

This seems elementary, but avoid clothing additions/removals.  If you can S/B/R in one outfit, stick with that unless there is a serious weather-related need to add/subtract.  No one cares if your belly is showing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOTW Best ways to cut your transition times down Rss Feed