World Triathlon Corporation
900F / 482C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 16m 6s
Overall Rank = 927/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 135/
Pre-race routine:

Scurrying around getting to the race. I didn't leave anywhere near enough time.
Event warmup:

Speedwalking to T1 then T2. Then I stood around for an hour after T2 closed waiting on my wave.
Swim
  • 52m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I knew this was going to be a long swim. My swim training in May would be on par for a sprint. Mentally, I was ready for and hour in the water so anything under that was a bonus. I ended up breathing every stroke and timing it for when a swell picked me up. It worked well for me. I tried a couple of times to get into pool swim mode and it was far from good. So, back to comfortable it was. All in all I was fairly happy. Sighting on the way back in was a PITA and I think I missed a buoy, but I really wasn't going to sweat it as the 200 people I was following would have done it too. Water temp was awesome for no suit, but with about 3-400 yds out, I was ready to be out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Training, speed. Other than that, this was probably my best OWS to date.
Transition 1
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

Nothing special. Put all my stuff in the little baggy, which I didn't ever pick up, and headed out the gate. Everyone was doing a good job of getting clear before they stopped and mounted so that was nice.

Not much.
Bike
  • 3h 35m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, just wow. Everyone has said the same thing I'm thinking here. The hills into the wind at 35ish were soul crushing. The ride back was fun though. I need more time in the saddle or different shorts though. My ass was unhappy with me at about 50 and I was really ready to be off the bike. I was budgeting a 4 hour ride so I was pretty happy about this really. I need miles on the bike, not much else.

Bike training was sub-par for this race and I knew it. Work, travel, and weather hampered me early in the season.
Transition 2
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Grab and go. I wish I had put some chub rub cream here though. My armpits were on fire at this point.

Not muchas slow as I race, transitions aren't a big deal to me yet.
Run
  • 2h 39m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot, hot, hot. Sing that it will be less painful.
I love this course through the camps. The sprinklers were far and away the most bitchin thing I have ever encountered. The first 3 miles of the run were about what I expected, slow. I was trying to keep the HR around 150, which was putting me at 11:30+ miles. "Can I really be running this slow?" I asked myself. Yep, and much slower I found out. Not that I'm fast, but a little faster than that. Disappointed at that point wouldn't even begin describe it. I stopped to pee at the asphalt beach and at that point realized that
A- I went harder on the bike than I should have
B- I'm going to enjoy this if it kills me
C- It's 90 degrees or so, don't be a DB and think you can run sub 10 mm
D-This is going to be a long run.

At that point, my day got good again. Slow and tedious, but I still had an amazing time. Not going to lie though, people on a run/walk schedule irritate me. I know some are going to be offended by that, but i'm sorry passing the same person walking 15 times only to have them pass you again at a full run for 25 feet then walk again so I have to pass them again just bugs me. I walked about 1/4 mile just to get out of that cycle.
Aside from that, the spectators and volunteers in this area. the whole race really, are amazing. My run looked like something an extra in the Walking Dead would do, and at one point I would have stabbed somebody for a Chipotle burrito I had a blast.
Slowest HM I've ran by 20 minutes. And I stopped in the middle of that one to renew my vows.

Who knows? Wear a cool suit maybe?
Post race
Warm down:

Staying vertical was really taking up a lot of my attention at this point.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Train better. Not more, though that would have helped some, but definitely better.

Event comments:

The only thing wrong with this race was the weather. The race itself is top notch. Loved it. Honestly, I didn't really think much about the weather. I didn't realize it was that rough until I read everyone else's race reports. Just naive on my part I guess.

Last updated: 2012-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:40 | 2112 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: CCW rectangle. Kind of like swimminng in a wave pool.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:35:51 | 56 miles | 15.57 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Great course. Having the Satan's Breath wind wasn't spectacular. Hills were just right.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:39:40 | 13.1 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Great course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Kansas

2012-06-11 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4256596

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Kansas
Great job out there.  Those were tough conditions.  I know there is a number for the lost and found on the ironman website where you can get your gear bag back.  Especially if it has your race number sticker on it.
2012-06-11 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4256596

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Nice job on the first 70.3.  I rode the bike course a few weeks back with 25 mph winds, and it was much worse at the race.  I had mentally prepared myself thinking that it couldn't be THAT bad on race day.  Man, was I wrong!
2012-06-14 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4256612

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
joncolbybohnsack - 2012-06-11 7:59 PMGreat job out there.  Those were tough conditions.  I know there is a number for the lost and found on the ironman website where you can get your gear bag back.  Especially if it has your race number sticker on it.
Thanks Jon, I'll look for it. They got my wetsuit back to me, so I was pretty happy about that. Especially since I didn't realize I left it hanging in T2. At this point, I'm only out one pair of swim goggles, one pair of m-frame oakleys that my wife hated, and a little pride. I stuck the glasses in my jersey pocket on the run so I could let my sweaty eyes dry out, and dropped them somewhere.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Kansas Rss Feed