World Triathlon Corporation
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 36m 9s
Overall Rank = 999/1176
Age Group = 40-44F
Age Group Rank = 50/59
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:20. Ate a bagel with peanut butter, coffee, and DH drove me to the race sight.
Event warmup:

I'm not sure where the time went, but before you knew it, I was scrambling to get my stuff organized in T1 and T2. I hate having to be in a hurry. I need to learn to get my sh!t together in a timely manner.

Found out that the swim was not wesuit legal. Water temp was 76.8 and the cutoff was 76.1. I looked out at the water and saw how choppy it was. Since I wasn't a contender for any podium spots, I decided to wear my wetsuit. Because of this decision, I had to start in the last wave.
Swim
  • 52m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm so glad I wore my wetsuit!! The water was very choppy and I kept getting water in my mouth every time I turned to breath. I had to stop to catch my breath. Once I calmed down, I continued. Because of the choppy waters, I had to sight constantly to not veer off course. I saw a few people way off.
What would you do differently?:

I can handle the endurance of the swim, I just have no confidence when it comes to OWS. I'm glad I wore my wetsuit but felt a little wimpy relying on my wetsuit so much. I need to get over this!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

Took my time in T1. No comment.
Bike
  • 3h 39m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't think I've ever had to endure wind conditions like I did today. This was on a whole other level of WTF! Having to start in the last wave, I knew the weather was going to get hotter and hotter. I tried to take in fluids and calories every 15 minutes. I would find out later that I didn't take in enough!

Some of the hills with the crosswinds and headwinds were laughable. I was constantly thinking about being Dorthy and flying off with the winds to the Land of Oz. The downhills at times were intense because I felt like I could lose control of the bike. I don't mind going fast but mix that with a mean crosswind and being a lightweight, I was fearful of being blown over.

after 3 hours and 39 minutes, I knew that this was going to be a looooong day. :(

I know I always need more time in the saddle. I honestly didn't bike enough and I paid for it.
Transition 2
  • 04m 34s
Comments:

I knew things were going to be bad when I started cramping putting on my running shoes. I took in some gatorade and a gel, but I knew it might be too late.

Be more effective on the bike regarding nutrition.
Run
  • 2h 55m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Sigh. Well, what can I say. The run is typically my strength, and it ended up being a demoralizing sufferfest.

After the first half mile of the run, my legs were cramping. I knew this wasn't going to be pretty. I shuffled and walked the entire race. I've never been this miserable. I honestly questioned if I was going to finish or not. But than I was getting pissed and thought to myself, " I didn't travel 9 fricken' hours to Kansas to not finish and get my finishers medal." I stopped the pity party I had in my mind and just moved forward whether it was walking or shuffling. The volunteers were amazing and the crowd support was wonderful.

I finally reached the yellow brick road to the finish!!! The announcer said my name and I got my medal!!! I suddenly felt lightheaded and a volunteer led me to a tent with chairs. He asked me if I could drink some water and I said yes. He handed me 3 bottles of cold water, and I gulped down two bottles. A few minutes later I felt like I could walk, so I got up and my family found me and congratulated me.

Train more

Work on nutrition and hydration

Train more
Post race
Warm down:

None really.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't disappointed in my performance. I did the Racine HIM last year in 6 hours and 9 minutes. So finishing this race in 7 hours 36 minutes was a very demoralizing experience. I had to remind myself though that Racine and Kansas are different beasts. Every race has its challenges and obstacles. The conditions in Kansas were not ideal, but i also know i probably wasn't fully prepared for the distance. I am accountable for my actions. I guess I didn't think I would bomb like I did.

Event comments:

The volunteers were AMAZING! The crowd support was WONDERFUL!

I saw Lisa (Glinda the good witch) running with her tutu and wand. I smiled and wanted to say something but was too tired, LOL.

Congratulations to all the participants who suffered with me.

Last updated: 2012-02-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:17 | 2112 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/59
Overall: 952/1176
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot full wetsuit
Course: The course was one loop in counter clockwise direction.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:39:04 | 56 miles | 15.34 mile/hr
Overall: 1034/1176
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: One loop course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:55:44 | 13.1 miles | 13m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 0/1176
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loops.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-12 9:40 AM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Kansas

2012-06-12 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4257438

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Kansas
Hey, racing and finishing under conditions like you dealt with is an accomplishment unto itself.  And don't feel bad about your time.  I personally don't like to compare a time from one course to a time on another course because mainly, the courses are different (hills, turns, etc), plus once you factor in weather, health, whatever, you just aren't comparing apples to apples.  Be proud, you did a great job!
2012-06-15 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Congratulations Claire! Sounds like you dug deep and found some mental toughness. Nicely done. Now you've got another under your belt, you can decide what's next for you. I hope you're having a great summer and it's not too hot back there in IN. 

Lynn

2012-06-27 12:27 AM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS, CLAIRE!

The Kansas conditions were ka-razy tough, but you were tougher. I know this race took a lot out of you, but it may also have given you the reason to do exactly what you probably needed to do anyway--take some time off and just enjoy being active.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Kansas Rss Feed