General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2013-01-14 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4577518

Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread
So all and all were people happy with the race. I have been following this thread and thinking about doing it in 2014. It seems like the race was harder than people expected. Do you think some of it had to do with the race being in January. Coming from Maryland I can see the difficulty training in the cold and racing in the heat. I guess I would need to readjust my expectations for the race.I've enjoyed following this thread and hope others give their input.Andrew

2013-01-15 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4578454

I had a great experience Saturday although it ended in a DNF after the bike.  My legs were cramping all over the place and I gave all I had to get to transition again.  After an hour plus of rationalization in the last miles in the saddle I decided that I would be ok with stopping at that point.  I had missed key weeks of training due to illness and was feeling the layoff, so I was not disappointed at all with my day especially factoring in the swells and wind (my God the wind!!).  Iron Aquabike for me!  No regrets at all, it was a great trip for me and I had energy to enjoy Duval on Sunday.  Then I slept for 11 hours.  

Stellar congrats to all who toed the line!!  Of 154 who signed up only 111 finished.  Hard core!

2013-01-15 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4257515

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Did anyone think to use the dirt/sand path on the other side of Roosevelt? That concrete sidewalk beat me up big time and I noticed after the fact the other side of the street had a trail we could have been running on..

That was my second time in KW and except for the race outcome, I had a good time...Might be a family trip next go around.
2013-01-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4579113

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

alltom1 - 2013-01-15 10:07 AM Did anyone think to use the dirt/sand path on the other side of Roosevelt? That concrete sidewalk beat me up big time and I noticed after the fact the other side of the street had a trail we could have been running on.. That was my second time in KW and except for the race outcome, I had a good time...Might be a family trip next go around.

I thought the same thing the day before the race regarding that trail.  Would have preferred that surface for sure, but cant imagine how they would have slowed traffic for everyone to cross etc.  I did use the sidewalk along US-1 on the bike and that was a blessing at certain points.

2013-01-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4577498

Champion
No excuses!

alltom1 - 2013-01-14 12:22 PM Another DNF here.. My fifth IM, I'd never been less than 30mins faster than the one preceeding, training was decent, etc. etc... I started cramping on the bike at mile and it didn't let up until mile 90. A few times on the upwind part of the second loop, I had to pull over..I have no clue what brought those cramps on because I was riding well within the range of my fitness( I figure I also swallowed plenty of salt water, to boot so no sodium problem..!). Last 20 of the bike were respectable and parts of the run too but the damage was done and at the turnaround for the third loop, I could not run one more step(I've got an ongoing foot thing). My head was playing a mean game of rationalization with me at this point and I convinced myself to throw in the towel. Not sure it was right, not sure it was wrong.. In one million years I didn't see a DNF as the outcome from BI..I'm gonna have to regroup and see if it's worth a return for some payback. Congrats to EVERYONE who toed the start line!

Sorry to hear the day didn't go as planned. I would agree I didn't see the struggle that I ended up with on that day. Looking at it ahead of time it looked like a big time pr course but the swim conditions and that wind all day proved other wise. Hang in there and get your revenge and crush number 6!

2013-01-15 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4578454

Champion
No excuses!

scutter - 2013-01-14 7:41 PM So all and all were people happy with the race. I have been following this thread and thinking about doing it in 2014. It seems like the race was harder than people expected. Do you think some of it had to do with the race being in January. Coming from Maryland I can see the difficulty training in the cold and racing in the heat. I guess I would need to readjust my expectations for the race.I've enjoyed following this thread and hope others give their input.Andrew

Thoughts about this race:

Location and time of year for a vacation destination race perfect

Swim course- Hard to say on this. If the wind is always that strong then I guess I would say make it a point to point swim so sighting might be a  bit easier to see, I did think the swim exit was  good at the pier

Bike course- I am wrestling with this. I thought it was a pretty cool idea that we got to ride up and back US1. But there were cars, trucks, and everything humming up and down there the whole day and heard some horror stories about near collisions. Also the two aid stations that we had to pull off for. The out and backs were sort of nice change of pace. Nice to see where I was at 

Run course- very cool, windy which sucked but to see the ocean and then to run to downtown. I would add more lights to the last 3 miles. I couldn't see anything down some of those blocks. Also figure out how to not run in front of the finish line and get the town more aware of the athletes to get a little more appreciation while running down Duval.

Host hotel= perfect, stayed there and loved it

Pasta dinner- good just needed more food and be prepared for the crowds

Awards Cruise- best idea ever, this tops any race awards I have ever seen, very cool

Things to improve= volenteers, this should improve as the race gets bigger and people learn about it but hard to say a bad thing about them but many had no clue what was going on. Between not directing us where to go or just not paying attention. Many aid station volenteers were smoking, really? A few cops were on there cell phones not stopping cars as I came by.

Overall a great race, needs some tweaks but this one could turn into an instant classic and a must do because it can offer scenery and a destination that many could only dream about

2013-01-20 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4257515

What a day.  This was my 4th IM distance race, having completed Louisville back in August, Wisconsin in 2010 and Lake Placid in 2008.  I ran as a Master Clyde and really enjoyed the venue. 

The swim:  crazy!  gotta love the waves.  spotting was brutal and I too swam past the brokrn seawall at the end and had to swim back to the opening, past an overturned volunteer pined against the wall.

The bike:  can you say spin?  the winds were relentless all headed north but the training paid off.  I did bite it as I entered US 1 south after the turnaround.  I caught a cone with the front tire, went over the handlebars and after some quick repairs and ensuring I was not too broken, I continued on. 

The run:  or the struggle I a like to say.  my weakest discipline of the three.  being gravity challenged, this usually kicks my tail and this day was no different.  I would much rather prefer a two loop run as the third loop killed me, from running that damn pier to to seeing way to familiar sights.  It was just too much of the same trail IMHO.  I made it through with a run walk with Steve from Destine Fla the last five miles.

I will be back to run this race again as we loved the winter get away.  My wife and a group of friends made the trip and cheered all of us on all day long which made the day even better.

I will write up my race report and post it and look forward to reading other's reports as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 14