General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-12-21 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4257515

Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread

We are looking at cold and windy so we're doing a partial trainer ride and hopefully a couple of hours outside.  I missed last weekend with a lung infection (not serious but not fun either) so I'm hoping I can get through ok, otherwise my 3 week taper will turn into a 2 week taper and I'll go long next week.

I like those Honey Stinger gels although when they get warm they are almost liquid and can be messy.  I love their waffles though.  I may pack a half pb sandwich.  I passed someone at Beach 2 Battleship who dropped what looked like a full-on hoagie, it was huge.  I thought that was a bit much.

2012-12-21 10:23 AM

New user
Key West
Hello from windy Key West. I realize that compared to the Blizzard of December 2012, we have nothing to complain about, but it is pretty breezy (23mph with higher gusts.)  Went out for a long run this morning and ran along Smathers and Higgs Beaches where we will be swimming the TRI. Although the winds were washing up all sorts of things onto the beach, the good news is that I did not see any signs of jelly fish or their mean cousins the man-o-war. I even asked a guy coming in from the water and he said he hadn't see any near shore. He said about 6 miles out he saw a few jelly fish but not many. It is a bit early for them. Anyway, wanted to update you all. I will post a more timely update the Sunday before the TRI when I go out for my "dry" run in my long sleeve wetsuit.
2012-12-21 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I'll start working on my SN bags list in another week.  I tend to overpack it with stuff that I'll probably never need but I'd rather have it there just in case.  One thing I do is put new tubes in my flat kit and use my old tubes in SN bag.  That way if I don't get back the old unused tubes at least there are brand new ones in my flat kit.  I seriously doubt there's anything wrong with the old tubes anyways.
2012-12-21 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4544130

Champion
No excuses!

topolina - 2012-12-21 11:23 AM Hello from windy Key West. I realize that compared to the Blizzard of December 2012, we have nothing to complain about, but it is pretty breezy (23mph with higher gusts.)  Went out for a long run this morning and ran along Smathers and Higgs Beaches where we will be swimming the TRI. Although the winds were washing up all sorts of things onto the beach, the good news is that I did not see any signs of jelly fish or their mean cousins the man-o-war. I even asked a guy coming in from the water and he said he hadn't see any near shore. He said about 6 miles out he saw a few jelly fish but not many. It is a bit early for them. Anyway, wanted to update you all. I will post a more timely update the Sunday before the TRI when I go out for my "dry" run in my long sleeve wetsuit.

I love your updates, keep them coming. Not sure what my sudden fascination with the swimming around us creatures is but all this talk of a sting ending your day started playing games with my head.

So if I wanted to swim the day before are there generally people out swimming? I saw on BIT facebook page they were shying away from saying anything and would put people in touch with some locals if interested

2012-12-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4543805

Champion
No excuses!

alltom1 - 2012-12-21 4:25 AM I think Hammer Gel is too gritty on the run, so I'll pack PowerGel's - much thinner consistency - but beside that and a spare long-sleeve shirt, nothing in my SN bags. I carry Uncrustables on the bike but the potatoes/oil and salt thing sounds pretty appealing, too. My intention is to get so jacked up on the defizzed Coke at the run aid stations, I won't want much else. I packed a RedBull a couple of IM's back but it was too much of a caffeine good thing. Who's doing what this weekend? I'm travelling on Sunday but might try for 75 on the bike Sat. Some running/swimming the rest of the week and then the last long w/o is a 105/4 on 12/30. Good luck to all with this weekend's training.

Still fighting this nasty cold, going on 3 weeks now. This weekend I am planning on a 112 with a run off and a long run. My left ankle has been a little finicky this week so I will see if that plays into my plans at all. Don't want to mess anything up this late in the game

2012-12-22 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4544804

New user
Key West
Shermbelle - 2012-12-21 10:00 PM

topolina - 2012-12-21 11:23 AM Hello from windy Key West. I realize that compared to the Blizzard of December 2012, we have nothing to complain about, but it is pretty breezy (23mph with higher gusts.)  Went out for a long run this morning and ran along Smathers and Higgs Beaches where we will be swimming the TRI. Although the winds were washing up all sorts of things onto the beach, the good news is that I did not see any signs of jelly fish or their mean cousins the man-o-war. I even asked a guy coming in from the water and he said he hadn't see any near shore. He said about 6 miles out he saw a few jelly fish but not many. It is a bit early for them. Anyway, wanted to update you all. I will post a more timely update the Sunday before the TRI when I go out for my "dry" run in my long sleeve wetsuit.

I love your updates, keep them coming. Not sure what my sudden fascination with the swimming around us creatures is but all this talk of a sting ending your day started playing games with my head.

So if I wanted to swim the day before are there generally people out swimming? I saw on BIT facebook page they were shying away from saying anything and would put people in touch with some locals if interested

No problem. I don't mean to psych anyone out, just want people to have the information so they can prepare with the proper wetsuits and gear. There will be people going out for swims. I am not sure why the BIT is not more organized by having a person designated for training swims, etc. The other big TRI we have down here in December always posts things about dry run or training times. BIT might have something on their Facebook page, but I stubbornly refuse to be part of the Facebook movement, so I couldn't say for sure. I swim without goggles (they drive me nuts) so I never open my eyes when my head is down. So, I wouldn't know if a big 'ol bull shark was coming at me. (not really a big problem here so don't start worrying about sharks) Ignorance is bliss.

2012-12-23 9:18 AM

User image

Question for you Topolina:

What's the sun like this time of year? I've become a pasty midwestern in the last couple months. You think I'll fry down there or is it pretty mild since it's still 'winter'?

2012-12-23 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

If you are really fare skinned, you might get a bit of color, but I dont foresee a bad burn.  Couldnt hurt to apply some sun screen in the morning though. I have been doing long rides and runs without it and have been ok.  I am pretty acclimated though growing up down here and having good base of color. 

Yesterdays long ride was ridiculously cold.  Temps in low 40's and strong wind chill.   That may not be bad for you used to it, but I pray that it was just a freak cold snap and we stay clear of that on race day. There was a strong north west wind so likely why MOW were not seen.   if it turns SE, then we need to look out.  Jellyfish are more seasonal and current based.

2012-12-23 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4545817

New user
Key West
crt87 - 2012-12-23 10:18 AM

What's the sun like this time of year? I've become a pasty midwestern in the last couple months. You think I'll fry down there or is it pretty mild since it's still 'winter'?

We are a lot closer to the Equator than many people think when they come down here. The pasty white people get sunburns in the winter here. I personally always put sunscreen on. If it is a full sun day, which it is more than likely to be, you will definitely want to get your neck, shoulders, ears and face.

On a different note, I just had a spectacular crash on my bike thanks to a kid who thought it would be funny to cut me off. I am not worried about the road rash all over my legs and arms but am about my shoulder. When I went down I broke my fall with my hands and could feel my right shoulder dislocate and relocate, or at least that is what it felt like. Unfortunately, that is my bad shoulder that froze about 3 years ago and it took me a year of PT to be able to move it completely again. Sooooo, I may be out of the TRI if I can't get full rotation by the 12th. Needless to say, I am not happy and I didn't finish my long ride. Oh well, such is life.

2012-12-23 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I'm glad you are ok for the most part but dang that sucks! I'm about ready to wrap myself in bubble wrap and avoid people for the next 2 weeks.  I hope you get better and you're able to race.

2012-12-23 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4545945

Champion
No excuses!
topolina - 2012-12-23 12:50 PM
crt87 - 2012-12-23 10:18 AM

We are a lot closer to the Equator than many people think when they come down here. The pasty white people get sunburns in the winter here. I personally always put sunscreen on. If it is a full sun day, which it is more than likely to be, you will definitely want to get your neck, shoulders, ears and face.

On a different note, I just had a spectacular crash on my bike thanks to a kid who thought it would be funny to cut me off. I am not worried about the road rash all over my legs and arms but am about my shoulder. When I went down I broke my fall with my hands and could feel my right shoulder dislocate and relocate, or at least that is what it felt like. Unfortunately, that is my bad shoulder that froze about 3 years ago and it took me a year of PT to be able to move it completely again. Sooooo, I may be out of the TRI if I can't get full rotation by the 12th. Needless to say, I am not happy and I didn't finish my long ride. Oh well, such is life.

Oh suck, hope you get healthy fast and the shoulder is better than you think. I am gonna attempt a long ride today. If it goes like yesterday and have to scrap everything, my next trip is to the doctor. I can't shake this freaking crap and am starting to worry a bit.

2012-12-24 6:27 AM

New user
Key West
Thanks guys. I am actually feeling better than I thought I would today, but won't be able to train for at least a couple of days and maybe more. That, as you can guess, is frustrating and worrisome since this was going to be my last big peak week. Anyway I hope everyone stays healthy the next three weeks. I like the bubble wrap ideaCool

Edited by topolina 2012-12-24 6:27 AM
2012-12-24 10:52 AM

User image

Glad you're feeling better today. I bruised the top of my foot on my last really long run this weekend. Well, it at least feels like a bruise on top of my midfoot. I can't see any discoloration but it hurts pretty bad when there is pressure applied to the area.

I guess it wouldn't be any kind of adventure if everything goes as planned. Haha. My PR hopes have changed to don't get hurt and make sure you can party afterwards. I've have disastrous training the last 2 weeks. Get some rest, everybody. Nurse those sicknesses and injuries and lets have a good time in a couple weeks. Merry Christmas, all.

Edited by crt87 2012-12-24 10:52 AM
2012-12-26 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Add me to the injured and unable to perform list...  had bad knee pain on last long ride Saturday.  Went to Dr. Monday and it was IT Band.  So I had to go into shutdown mode about 10 days earlier then I wanted to.  Will just be swimming and some short runs until race day.   After all this Holiday eating and now little activity, I am feeling portly!  Take it easy all and good luck to race countdown. 

2012-12-26 9:49 AM

The countdown is on.  Started packing and headed south on January 2nd.  Staying in Marathon for the remainder of the taper and to get somewhat aclimated to the warmer weather.  All training switched to indoors last couple of weeks so really looking forward to be outside again. Nice enough to run outside, lower 30's, but get better workouts on the indoor track.  Ordered my Sea Safe and looking forward to some fun in the sun. 

Taper safe, make it to the water for the cannon and enjoy the day.   

2012-12-26 10:20 AM

Subject: ---
I finally got over my lung infection and am back in the game, but now I'm definitely in the "just finish" category.  I got caught up on lots of extra sleep over the past ten days so now I hope to have a productive return with what's left of this week, starting with the bike trainer later today.  It's good to be among the living again!

2012-12-26 7:44 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Ordered my SeaSafe last night also. After a lot of reading on it, gonna bank my hopes that is keeps those suckers off me and bite free for the swim. Here's hoping Laughing
2012-12-28 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Last long ride on Sunday - it'll be the only time in this winter build/peak attempt that the weather is going to be a challenge. All in all I've gotten off lightly, I think. How I've dodged catching a bug from all the sick people around me is a big fat Festivus miracle.
2012-12-28 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4548119

New user
Key West
cardenas1 - 2012-12-26 9:40 AM

Add me to the injured and unable to perform list...  had bad knee pain on last long ride Saturday.  Went to Dr. Monday and it was IT Band.  So I had to go into shutdown mode about 10 days earlier then I wanted to.  Will just be swimming and some short runs until race day.   After all this Holiday eating and now little activity, I am feeling portly!  Take it easy all and good luck to race countdown. 

IT Band is tough. I got shut down in a marathon with that and it took a while to recover. I guess you already know ice, rest, and the stretches. Hope it gets better soon.

For my weekly report from sunny KW, I did my long run today (13 miles because I am just in the HIM) and ran along South Roosevelt again and Smathers and Higgs beaches. The water was crystal clear and the best news of all no sightings of jelly fish or other unfriendly water dwellers. So far so good.

My shoulder turned out to be not as bad as I thought and I was OK on my long swim (pool no wetsuit) but my chest still hurts all the time and really hurts when I take a deep breath, so that is more of a concern. I think I might have costochondritis. Hopefully though that, and my road rash is gone is two weeks. Happy training and look forward to having you all down in our little crazy town.

2012-12-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4551372

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

alltom1 - 2012-12-28 9:58 AM Last long ride on Sunday - it'll be the only time in this winter build/peak attempt that the weather is going to be a challenge. All in all I've gotten off lightly, I think. How I've dodged catching a bug from all the sick people around me is a big fat Festivus miracle.

Being in Augusta I'm right there with you on the weather.  I can't believe how lucky I've been with descent weather to ride in.  I've also been lucky with all of the sickos around me.  We are almost there!

2012-12-30 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Whew - glad that's done. Cold for six hours. You racers from the North and Midwest have my utmost respect.

2013-01-02 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
1 more week and we'll be making the drive to Key West.  I'm starting to get anxious, especially with tapering.  I hope everyone's taper is going well and I'll see y'all down there.
2013-01-02 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4557817

User image

csharp1171 - 2013-01-02 10:47 AM 1 more week and we'll be making the drive to Key West.  I'm starting to get anxious, especially with tapering.  I hope everyone's taper is going well and I'll see y'all down there.

Anxious and taper in the same sentence!? No way! Haha, I'm so ready. (Kinda)

2013-01-03 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I like the look of this:

(KeyWest.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
KeyWest.jpg (47KB - 14 downloads)
2013-01-03 12:59 PM

User image

I'll be happy if that stays. I'm due to race in nice weather for once.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 14