United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 28/28
Pre-race routine:

Friday afternoon: Packet pickup. I'm feeling a little intimidated, seeing all those extremely fancy bikes (compared to my lowly 2200) racked on the cars outside Indian Cycle and Fitness, and everyone inside seems so confident... I just feel a little out of place, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Friday Night: Packed my transition bag, put the bike in the back of the wagon, made sure my race # was in its bag. Drank two bottles of Gatorade, made up my energy drink bottles (THANK YOU foolproof, what a Tri-Goddess she is!). I frankly wonder if I'll be able to sleep... I'm tired and hopefully the children will fall asleep early tonight so I can go to bed.

Sat morning: Got up at 4:15 am. Made a PBJ, took a shower, loaded up the cooler and other things in the car, drove to the race site. Oh, and put my BT temp tatoo on my right calf :)

Hung out, talked to several people I know from the biking scene - and some I didn't know came up and introduced themselves. So many buff people, it was sick. I understand there were over 300 partipants and nearly all of the ones who at least LOOKED deadly serious have much better bikes than mine. :)
Event warmup:

I'm glad I got there early, the transition racks filled up quickly. Set up my stuff. Ate some hammergel. Eventually jumped in the water to gauge the temperature... not too bad. They claimed the water was about 81 degrees, at least for the top 3' and that seemed right. Mr. Murphy showed up in the form of a brisk breeze from the North, which created 2' breakers out in the middle of the swim area.

The boat ramp for the finish was more slippery than greased goose shit, though, getting out was a struggle for everyone, I think, even with the green indoor-outdoor carpet they'd thrown on the ramp.

Oh, and Pee, Pee, Pee. Man I was nervous. I went twice in the porta potties before the swim, and then TWICE during the swim. I am a Peeing Machine on Race Day - at least this race day. I didn't think it was necessary to ask BT's permission to pee, either. :p
Swim
  • 37m 42s
  • 880 yards
  • 04m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I've posted on here several times, I suck @ swimming. I knew that going in, but my goal was simply to survive the swim. Fortunately, they'd pulled the dead body of last week's idiot on a jetski @ midnight drunk out a few days before, so the only things I was going to bump into were either a) other swimmers or b) gators. However, gators supposedly don't like open water, and as small and puny as I am, I don't think they'd find me very tasty.

I tried free style to start, but the waves and my lack of experience in swimming in general (and the fact this was my first OWS ever of over 50 yerds in my life) had me switching over to breaststroke to conserve energy. It was slow, and I think I was the 3rd to last swimmer out of the water. Oh, BTW, I made a point to thank the kayakers who were out watching swimmers and there to offer help/support if you needed it.

Also, whoever thought of this upside down U course is sadistic. On the return, the wind caused a nice wave cross-slap in the cove the swim course was in. That's where I swallowed most of the yummy farm-chemical infested res water.
What would you do differently?:

Hop into Dr. Evil's Time Portal, steal Mark Spitz' body, then use the secret gov't genetics labs from the X-Files to temporarily screw my head on his body for the swim.

Seriously? I need to totally break down my stroke and start swimming from the beginning. Also, I drifted around too much on the outside of the course, I think I probably swam a lot farther than I needed to. I'll tell you what, that nasty old green carpet on the boat dock looked like the Academy Awards red carpet when I got up on it. I HATE SWIMMING!
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I know both of my transitions were < 2:00. I'm extremely pleased with this as I hadn't practiced much transition at all. Of course, the water was warm enough that we didn't need to screw with wetsuits. I stumbled out of the water like a gang of frat boys on a football Saturday night drunk.

Nothing, really. See what other tricks I can do to reduce my time closer to a minute or less. I need to get a race/fuel belt and pin my number to that, that would have saved some time versus pinning it on. :)
Bike
  • 1h 20m 10s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike. It took me about four miles to find my legs though, and, as I'd forgotten to reset my computer, I really didn't know what my average was until I saw the printouts.

I missed my goal time by about 10 minutes - I wanted to finish around 1:10, but it is just as well it was closer to 1:20, as I ended up needing several walk breaks in the run later. Oh, and I had to pee AGAIN on the bike, something I'd also never done before, finally stood up on the pedals on a long downhill and let 'er rip.

One of the cool things about coming last out of the swim area - it is easy to find your bike - I also dropped more than a few road bikes, a tri bike or two, and all the MTBs and hybrids that were in the race, without blowing myself up. At the turnaround, as I coasted up, I yelled (I know some of these people from Jackson Metro Cyclist) "BEER! Where's the beer? Where's the magaritas?" (Yes, I remember my stern instructions from certain Tri-Goddesses that I'm supposed to "have fun" :) and I did!).

I also made sure, like the kayak folks, to thank the volunteers, cops, etc. along the bike route for taking their time to help put on the event and help the racers. As I dropped - er passed - the other cyclists, I made sure to offer words of encouragement and smiles. Again, this is supposed to be fun and to make sure that everyone is having fun! :)

Nothing. I know that with more targeted training, and time, that the bike, which is by far my best discipline, will continue to improve :) A 19 mph average into a headwind in your first tri is nothing to sneeze at :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I'm fast, I need to get faster. The biggest time consumer was pulling on socks. Again, learning to run sockless would save a few seconds, but then again, I'm dubious that saving a few seconds is worth the chance of getting crippling blisters on the run...

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 10m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where, after the first mile, I was asking myself "WTF Scott did you decide to pick an Oly as your first tri...?" The question got even stronger by the 3rd mile, as Mr. Brain was telling me "You dipshit, if this was a sprint, you'd be finished." :D

The best part of being a male BOP'er in this type of situation, though... lots of cute Tri-Goddesses to observe. Interesting to see the age ranges of women that now have pierced belly buttons yum. And awesome summer tans... and awesome bodies. It is also helpful, when your legs are starting to say "F' you!" to have cute ponytails to stumble after.

I took several short walk breaks after the turnaround... when it became apparent that I wasn't going to make my Finish Under 3:00 goal, I felt it was more important to finish with a smile and looking good. In fact, I think I had one of the top 10 tans in the entire field of 300+ LOL

The sponges for cooling off at the run turnaround were great!

Run more. Need to start doing speedwork. Patience, time, I expect with about a year of targeted training, I can become a much better runner. If I can get my 10K time under an hour in these Olys, I won't finish DFL like I did today. :)
Post race
Warm down:

As I came up the hill to the finish, the Emcee announced my hometown and name. The Ridgeland Recreation crew handed me two bottles of very cold water. I poured one on my head and drank the other, and then was pleasantly surprised as a couple of locals who I hadn't met in person but had exchanged emails with on the local cycling and tri boards introduced themselves. It was nice to be recognized :) I'm also told I looked 'really good' running up the hill (for once I didn't look like I was ready to hurl everything including the kitchen sink).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, really. And I deliberately took it easy on my bike leg so I'd have energy for the run - which I still really didn't have enough of (the swim zapped me more than I thought it would - but I decided to take Haley/Comet's inspire from yesterday to heart and didn't hammer the bike like I could have).

Marma needs to add an option to the massage button below to "I wish" LOL

Event comments:

I'm rating this as "my best" as its my first tri. I'm no longer a virgin! :)

And again, I couldn't have finished this without all the great encouragement and commraderie I've found on here. BTW, after the race, I ran into jjweav, great guy (he saw the BT tatoo and asked me if I was oneword... I didn't recognize him at first, I was stumbling around in the parking lot half stoned from lactic acid build-up, the sun, and endorphins) :)

Also, my 'solar shower' was kind of fun. I opened one of the car doors, draped a towel over it, and since the car was facing a fence, ripped off tri-shorts after pouring some water I'd brought with me all over myself so I could go eat the post-race meal clean and in clean clothes. Yanked on the underwear, a t-shirt and shorts and managed to not get arrested or noticed. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:42 | 880 yards | 04m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/28
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
A) Don't have a HR monitor B) If I did, I'd probably would've gotten weird data as I was more nervous than Hunter S.Thompson's character in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas at a convention of cops high on mescaline...
Suit: None
Course: Clockwise upside down U. We started in a cove to the left of the boat docks in four waves, I was in wave 3, the 40+ men. I made sure to stay way to the back and the side and this was a good idea as I got kicked and clawed a little bit. What I'm proud of is that none of this threw me off or caused me to swallow a lot of water by accident (I did that quite fine on my own a couple of times, mistiming the waves and breathing).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:10 | 24.5 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/28
Performance:
See above. There was a nice brisk headwind. Mr. Murphy likes to muck things up, you know. :)
Wind: Headwind
Course: Straight up and back on the Natchez Trace Parkway North, with a dogleg in and out of Old Trace Park. Nothing terribly exciting, and traffic was actually light this morning and less belligerent than it usually is on weekends.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:48 | 06.21 miles | 11m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/28
Performance: Average
See above. I was pretty beat at this point, I think I was in Z2 the whole time, as I could easily talk to the other runners.
Course: Out and back on the Ridgeland MUT, with a pass in front of the marina... hill at the end to run up to the finish chute at the upper parking lot. Not an easy course - well, for me, as the 1st half is an unending 'gentle' uphill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-03 1:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by oneword 2006-06-03 1:49 PM

2006-06-03 2:01 PM
in reply to: #442135

Master
Subject: RE: Heatwave Classic Triathlon
Very Awesome Scott! Way to go!
2006-06-03 2:12 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
oneword - 2006-06-03 2:43 PM

I forgot the most important piece of post race equipment though.

A beer bottle opener. Damn Guinness bottle tops are sealed on by sadists. Well, it was OK, I needed to get home quickly to take care of the cihldren, so I drank it here

This is why I keep one on my keyring.  And my bike hex key set also has one.  Gotta be prepared.

GREAT JOB TODAY!!!!  Congratulations, triathlete! 

2006-06-03 4:08 PM

Pro
Orange Park Florida

It sounds like you had FUN so that is the only result that matters.

Good job and enjoy those recovery beers!!

2006-06-03 4:15 PM

Queen BTich

Great job and way to have fun! That is the most important thing.

The race belt is one of the easiest and cheapest pieces of equipment you can buy. $5-10 and you save tons of time.

CONGRATS!

2006-06-03 4:25 PM

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nice report and good job finishing your first tri/first Olympic.

In case you missed the thread a few weeks ago, respect the Olympic Distance. I'd done a sprint and just did a REALLY HILLY sprint this morning and the two distances are worlds apart. Right now I can't even fathom a 1/2 Iron.

2006-06-03 5:35 PM

Expert
New Orleans

Excellent job Scott! That swim sure as hell seemed a A LOT longer than 800m, at least that's my excuse. Glad I got to run into you after the race, even though only for a second. Good out there today!

2006-06-03 6:18 PM
in reply to: #442233

2006-06-03 6:27 PM
in reply to: #442246

2006-06-03 6:28 PM
in reply to: #442233

2006-06-03 6:29 PM

2006-06-03 7:28 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Awesome, congratulations! I'd give anything to be able to go 19mph on the bike, but hopefully I'll do around 2min/100yd on tomorrows swim...you did put the swim genes in the overnight express mail, didn't you???

We can now call you a triathlete!!!
2006-06-03 7:54 PM
in reply to: #442272

2006-06-03 8:26 PM

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Great, great effort. Welcome to the club!
2006-06-03 8:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

so freakin proud of YOU!!!!

It IS humbling isn't it?? I am like "damn, am I the only short/stocky not perfectly fit chick here?" but honestly I have learned that our fellow triathletes are very supportive during the race and if it weren't the support of the experts who finished before I even started my run today I never would have finished. I am just learning that this sport takes time, perseverance and discipline. Most of us don't come out our first time experts. I try to tell myself that I bet I could jump, dance, do a back handspring or fly in the air better than some (ya know the cheerleading background)...so we all just have to keep moving forward.

funny that you notice the hot chicks. I am glad that as I am putting together my cute outfit someone might be looking...see trigods told me the guys don't notice...but heck I didn't think u all were dead out there on the course I will let my belly ring shine proudly

2006-06-04 12:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
"This is where, after the first mile, I was asking myself "WTF Scott did you decide to pick an Oly as your first tri...?" The question got even stronger by the 3rd mile, as Mr. Brain was telling me "You dipshit, if this was a sprint, you'd be finished." :D "

I WILL remember this quote, as I look for my first. This is way too funny

2006-06-04 1:05 AM

Veteran
Charleston, SC
way to go TRIATHLETE!!
2006-06-04 8:29 AM
in reply to: #442360

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Congrats triathlete!

F the water, it sucks to begin with. The faster you get out of it, the faster you can get to your bike and put the smack down!

And a frosty cold Guinness can make anything better in very little time.
2006-06-04 10:05 AM

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Good job...way to work through the swim.  Great bike!  They'll just keep getting better and better.  Way to go!
2006-06-05 10:31 AM

Master
South Florida
Ok Julie McCoy...great report, great race, great job making sure everyone was having fun!!  To do an oly as a first race is quite impressive.  Now you have your benchmark.
2006-06-05 12:14 PM

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Bravo, Bravissimo!!!

I also made sure, like the kayak folks, to thank the volunteers, cops, etc. along the bike route for taking their time to help put on the event and help the racers. As I dropped - er passed - the other cyclists, I made sure to offer words of encouragement and smiles. Again, this is supposed to be fun and to make sure that everyone is having fun!

Now that is just plain awesome.

Way to go, triathlete.  Congrats on finishing your first race with a smile ... and an olympic distance one nonetheless!

2006-06-05 9:33 PM

Edited by oneword 2006-06-05 9:37 PM
2006-06-05 10:05 PM

Regular
Chicago, IL
WOW. I had no idea you picked an Olympic as your first! You've got cojones! GEEZ. Congrats, you're a warrior and a party animal!
2006-06-05 10:24 PM
in reply to: #444342

2006-06-06 6:59 AM

molto veloce mama
i've been WAITING for this race report for eons!!! CONGRATULATIONS TRIATHLETE!!!

sounds like you had a great time and kept a great attitude throughout. so, when are you doing another one???
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heatwave Classic Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2