General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Rapids, Michigan
United States
Tris4Health
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 24s
Overall Rank = 52/87
Age Group = 40-45 Female
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 AM and ate some cereal, then left the house at 4:30 to pick up my friend who did the 1/2 Iron ( she was first in her age group and rocked it out...by the way). Drove from Lansing to event, quick, easy drive. Got the back roads all the way in, no traffic coming from here to there. Got a nice and close parking spot ( I won't tell where though, I need it there next year)
Event warmup:

Ummmmmmm.. warm up...nope. Coffee.
Swim
  • 26m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Olympic women started last of 13 heats so we were waiting for a long time to start. Had a great swim, started out about a row back. Got caught up with someone for the first 100-150 yards and couldn't get by or around her. Finally went to the outside and got it done. Swim out was nice and easy, swim back was in the sun so sighting was hard. Just followed the crowded and hoped they were going in the right direction. Love the swim!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

T1 was fairly quick considering the transition area was so large and long. Used the wet suit strippers to help get the wet suit off. I have never seen that service provided at an event before and it was FABULOUS!!! They got it off much quicker than I could have dreamed of.

Nothin
Bike
  • 1h 23m 44s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was better than I had expected. I only did one Oly event before so I wanted to beat my time and I did. I think I pushed it fairly well, but could have given it a little more. Drank well and ate GU while biking. Took in lots of water.

Would like to drop more time and feel the best possible way for me to do this is with the bike. I have a road bike, not a TRI bike. Not sure if I am ready for the next step, but have heard that it will help. Also thinking a new, aero-dynamic helmet might help as well. Need to keep playing with this part, but in general I enjoyed the bike ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

T2 was good, fairly quick for me. Got my running shoes, hat and bib on and headed out. Did grab a quick bit of a cliff bar on my way out.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 16m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, not even sure to begin with this one. Just recently did 5/3 run in GR, 1/2 marathon at Bayshore, but you could not tell from this run. It was just hot! The aid stations were good, lots of water, gatorade, gu, ice even fruit, pretzels, etc. The volunteers were great! There was alot of walking for me on this course, but I noticed there was alot of walking for alot of people on this course. I can't say it's all due to the heat, but it was HOT... Did I mention it was hot...

I think I could have prepared for it a little more with more brick work outs and more running in the heat of the day (I try to avoid that at all costs) I would love to tackle an Olympic Distance when the conditions are ideal. This was my second Olympic. I did better my time by 6 minutes over all so I was real pleased about that. I think if I can just get a decent day, I can do much better. Would love to go 3:00 hr even. there is definately alot of time I can cut from my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and food. Was not real pleased with the food options after the race...need chocolate..chocolate milk, chocolate cookies, something. Dry pretzels don't do it. Got my gear back to the car, changed and waited on my friend to finish her 1/2 Iron Man.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and negative self talk

Event comments:

Great race. I would do this one again and would recommend it to others. Better food at the finish would be a plus. Nice t-shirts and medals.

Last updated: 2012-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 0/87
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra- short sleeve
Course: Counter clock wise out and around and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:23:44 | 24.8 miles | 17.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 6/87
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, some rolling hills. Mostly flat and fast
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:16:26 | 06.2 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 0/87
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back, one or two hills.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-12 2:23 PM

Subject: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-06-13 5:57 AM
in reply to: #4258094

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course

Nice job out there!  That heat was tough on a lot of us, I had my slowest half marathon ever.  I've probably only had one hot day to train in since my trip to Florida in early April not to mention my workouts the week leading up to the race were nearly 40 degrees cooler didn't prep me well.  Felt like a death march at times.

With cooler temps I'm sure you'll meet your goals.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed