Columbia Triathlon Association
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 38s
Overall Rank = 18/99
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 and drove the 45 minutes to race site. All hotels within 50 miles were full. Parked at school and took shuttle over to race site. Very well organized. At site and all set up by 6:00. Body marking ended at 6:30. Ate 2 gatorade bars and had several bottles of water. Very surprised that it was wetsuit legal. Watched Pros and every other wave go off. Never had two hours to kill before my wave. Luckily we had our own transition area and could still come and go until at least 8:00.
Event warmup:

Around 8:10 I decided to swim some. I swam about 10 minutes out and back to get loose. Felt great.
Swim
  • 30m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had watched Pros and timed them. They hit first buoy in 8 minutes. I figured 11 for me and missed it by a couple seconds. Second turn buoy was good as well. 19 total minutes. Just what I had hoped for. Then decided to speed up and went all over the place. I do not know if it was me leading or following but I had several people right beside me the whole way in. They were just as crooked. Looking back I should have just slowed down and concentrated on going straight. 12 minutes coming in. Should have been less than 10 based on distance.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straight. I guess I need to work on that. Last few races have been pretty straight swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I have Achilles problem and left one started hurting as soon as I started running into T1. No fun at all. That is why I am doing aquabike instead of triathlon. I put shoes on and ran out jumped on bike and foot slipped off pedal. Luckily no one right beside me. Then I took my time and got off and on my way. Surprised that my time was as good as it is.

Not much. After almost 200 multi sport races, you would think I have this down pat by now.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I had raced 45 miles about a month ago started out too fast and died with 10 miles to go. Determined that was not going to happen here. Started very comfortable and was surprised how fast I was going. Great road surfaces. Watched lots of people fly by and saw several later when we turned and started heading home. My goal was for no one to pass me after half way. One guy passed me with less than a mile to go. Butt got sore by 35 miles and then legs got tired by 45. Then my right calf started hurting around 50 and I had to use left leg maybe 75% of the time. 21.6 MPH at half and 20.5 for second half. I kept thinking the wind must be in our face now and that was slowing everyone down. But I kept looking at trees and fields and they were pretty still. There were lots of people going a lot slower than me.

Do more than 50 miles in preparation. Needs to be 60-70 mile long rides. I only did three at 50 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Walked around and found water hose to wash off the salt. Was not hungry for about 3-4 hours after race. Very unusual for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming straight and not enough long rides. Only decided to do this race about a month ahead of time due to Achilles injuries.

Event comments:

Nice that they had little soccer goals near water stations to try and ring with empty bottles.
Long way from SC to drive for a race. Now that I have caught up on sleep, I am glad I did race. Now I am stupidly thinking of coming back in Fall for two loops.

Last updated: 2012-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 15/99
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeve suit
Course: I watched the Pros and almost everyone of them had full suit on. So I figured I should wear it as well. Had the sleeveless but figured if they could wear full, so could I. Course was out, over and back. Could have used more buoys to sight easier.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:39:59 | 56 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 21/99
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Great first half and good for next fourth. Last quarter was a little bumpy compared to the first half. But still comparable to most other courses.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 103
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right