Columbia Triathlon Association
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 58m 47s
Overall Rank = 930/2700?
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 108/210
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Days Inn in Easton.Didn't sleep great and got up at 3:00. Had a coffee and 2 packs of oatmeal. Took vitamins and supplements and ate a cereal bar. Drank some Gatorade on the drive to the race site. Arrived and got a parking spot and I started to get my gear to go to transition and it hit me! I left my frozen nutrition bottles in the freezer in my hotel room. S%$#!!! Moment of panic, but my girlfriend had a bottle with her and I filled it with Gatorade decided I wasn't going to think about it anymore as I couldn't do anything about now.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and swam for about ten minutes.
Swim
  • 41m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was happy with my swim. My first attempt at this distance in open water. I felt like I stayed relaxed and gave a even effort throughout. Got a little wide after turn 1 and 2. Might have been the tide as I felt I was sighting well and swam perfectly straight on the the long leg of the triangle. A little frustrated with my time in relation to the field. I swam a lot preparing for this event and I just can't seem to find much speed. Need to focus on that as I'm leaving a lot of time in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Need to train focused on gaining more speed. Try to not get as wide after turns 1 and 2.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

Transition was decent. Wetsuit removal could have been a little smoother.

Quicker wetsuit removal.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my strength. Being my first HIM I was unsure how hard I could go and still have legs to run 13.1 in the heat. I definitely was conservative on the bike and left some time out there. Loved the course, would really like to ride it all out one time to see what I could do. Next year. Wind wasn't too bad until mile 30 or so and the the next 20 miles seemed to require the most effort. Felt a little queezy for awhile from miles 35-45, though I might vomit but things settled down and I felt fine the rest of the ride. Might have been the very warm Gatorade. Came into T2 needing to pee badly but overall feeling good and ready to run.

Go harder. I know I left 15-20 minutes out there and looking back as difficult as the run turned out to be I don't think it would have affected my run time much if at all.
Transition 2
  • 05m 3s
Comments:

Should have stopped at the porta right at the bike entrance but proceeded to rack and had to run back to porta to pee and then all the way back to the run exit. Other than that transition was fine.

Not have to pee.
Run
  • 2h 17m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T2 feeling good and a little jacked up from the cheering crowd. Was going to fast and slowed down quickly to a moderate pace until I got run legs. After mile 1 legs came back and was feeling good through mile 4.5 when I started to feel some cramping coming on. Stopped and stretched quads briefly and resumed running. Helped for awhile but I could feel them wanting to cramp again as I approached an aid station. Stopped and got lots of ice and drinks and walked for 20 seconds or so leaving the aid station before running. By the time I hit mile 6 I knew I was going to be fighting off the cramps the rest of the day. Heat was absolutely brutal. Starting taking short walk breaks to keep the cramping at bay and then would run hard as long as I could before the cramps would start again. Kept repeating this process all the way to the finish and ended up with a negative split which surprised me. My goal was to finish in under 6 hours and I just made it at 5:58:47! Volunteers were amazing and truly a lifesaver on this day. Despite how hard it was, I really enjoyed the run. segment.

Train more in the heat of the day.
Post race
Warm down:

sat in a finish line chair for a few minutes and then some light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat

Event comments:

Great race and incredibly organized and well run. Can't wait to do it again!

Last updated: 2012-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 164/210
Overall: 1418/2700?
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU
Course: Course was a rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad