OptumHealth Performance
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 52s
Overall Rank = 103/308
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

Drove up alone from mom's house in Maple Grove. Set up transition and killed time stretching and listening to music, basically chilling out. Family all got there about 10 minutes before race started, was good to see them before I went off.
Event warmup:

Stretching and I got in for a little swim to first buoy and back. Introduced myself to the awesome milfoil weeds we were going to be swimming through.
Swim
  • 16m 17s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty brutal overall. Goggles fogged up unexpectedly (they never do that in the pool)...waves were fairly big, and breaking into my face on the way out....sun being low on the horizon was blinding. Basically, I couldn't see hardly anything, never knew if I was on course, just tried to stay near people that I could see and sight once in a while trying to spot a buoy. On the way in I wanted to swim faster, but found myself caged in by other swimmers. I felt like I was behind a line of 3 or 4 guys and every time I tried to get around I ran into another set of feet. Oh well, I guess that's the good racers are prepared for and us middle of the packers struggle with.
What would you do differently?:

Sprayed my goggles with some anti-fog spray, which I had in my bag, but have never needed to use on these ones. Other than that, I don't know what I could really do better...seems like some races you randomly find room and others you randomly find yourself in a big pack of people. I prefer to have room.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

I was gassed after the tough swim, so was moving fairly slow here. I'm not very good at T1, for some reason I always put on my helmet then try to put on my shirt, the take the helmet off again to get the shirt on...etc etc. Also, I don't have tri cycling shoes so I usually run with my bike and shoes in my hand to the exit point, then stop and put the shoes on before jumping on the bike. The whole thing is pretty inefficient, but like I said before, this is what separates the guys on the podium from a guy like me.
What would you do differently?:

I AM getting tri cycling shoes within the next couple weeks, so I will officially be able to eliminate that excuse before my next race. Also, I'm done putting on a shirt in transition...will either get one that can be worn under my wetsuit, or go shirtless on the bike from now on.
Bike
  • 42m 7s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Road was not great, but not terrible. I felt fairly slow...was gassed after the swim and wanted to get the heart rate back down. Not too many spots on this course to just tuck in and ride...between hills, curves, and wind it was somewhat of an adventure, but overall not too bad. I simply do not get enough miles in to be anything more than an average cyclist.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

This one went better. I could still button a couple things up. Meant to grab number belt, watch and hat and start running then put them on on the fly, but before I knew it I was standing there putting on the belt and the hat...
Run
  • 22m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good overall...no major cramping, and just minor side stitches that I was able to control. Stomach is usually what holds me back, but didn't have major issues with that. 7:25 is a very good pace for me, all my running this winter really did pay off. Felt good passing some people, specifically some people that I know passed me on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got big hugs from my kids, got stretched by the dudes in the massage tent, ate the breakfast burrito they gave us.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly just race day variables that are hard for a guy that only races twice a year to properly prepare for...also, lack of cycling. It's still frickin' cold at 5am in Illinois!, the bike training never sounds fun.

Event comments:

I don't want to be too harsh, but I am going to list all the negatives of this race right here...

- weeds in the water...not just a few random weeds either. In the shallower water (first & last 100-200 yards), the weeds are up to the surface of the water in in your face, mouth, everything - thick. And they were present the whole way, by your hands as you get deeper, but still there.

- probably due to those weeds, I got some nasty swimmers itch from this race...I've never had this before, but every part of my body that was not covered by a wetsuit has little red pimples that itch. A sleeveless wetsuit means this is pretty much my entire arms.

- no cold water or gatorade after the race. at least not that I could find. that's all I wanted, but all they had were 80-degree little cups of water available.

- no finisher's medal. not a big deal, but i always think the medals are nice and would like to add to my collection.

- bumpy bike course. not terrible, but very little smooth riding out there.

- i feel like they could have tried to close the run course to all the walkers and other people using it. there weren't that many of them, but there were several people out on their sunday strolls walking shoulder to shoulder right on the path we were using for the race. there was a sidewalk right on the other side of the road they should have tried to divert these people to...just a little distracting and could possibly be dangerous.

Ok, all those complaints aside, definitely not a bad race. Well organized, nice shirt given out, plenty of volunteers (although more than one looked asleep at the wheel out on the bike course...i had to shout and ask if i was turning at a particular spot because the guy was just standing there, i guess assuming that his presence meant i would know to turn). Overall, I liked it and would do it again for sure. The positives outweigh the negatives and I realize trying to control all these factors and give everybody exactly what they all desire at post-race would make these things cost even more than they do....so take my complaints as just me trying to be honest with anyone who might consider doing this race in future years.

Last updated: 2012-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:17 | 880 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 114/308
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless Ironman
Course: Out, to the right, back in...keep buoys on your right.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:07 | 13 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Overall: 140/308
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back, rolling hills, fair to middlin' riding surface.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:58 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 95/308
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a path along the lakeshore, I'd say 65% shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes