General Discussion Triathlon Talk » True beginners swim help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-13 12:49 PM

User image

Subject: True beginners swim help
Yeah, the coaches will have workouts and drills to do but some of us just like to swim without trying to do 6X365 with a triple lindy and trying to keep all that in mind. We're not really concerned that much about standing or being able to beat Andy Potts out of the water.

Now if you fit this and you just swim front crawl for a lot to all of your workouts, here's something that honestly can help. It got me to drop 25 seconds per 100 yards from when I started.

Say, just to have a number to start with, you swim an average of about 1:00 per 50 (one lap) That's probably 2:02-2:05 per 100 or somewhere thereabouts.

You want to get a little faster. Okay, odds are your first lap after a break of :30 or longer is somewhere near :50. so your laps look like:

:50
:58
1:01
:59

• Pick a number, lets see about cutting it down just a shade in a week or so. Remember the number :58 swim your laps until your lap takes at or longer than :58. You will be pushing it, stretch out and try to reach the can off the top shelf with each stroke and see if you can:

:55
    :57
    (take a break for :30)
    (take a break for :30)
    :52
    :55
    :56
    1:00
    (take a break...)

keep that up for your time, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc.

After you can keep below your target time for 5 laps at a shot for a week, drop the number.

Rinse, repeat.

2012-06-13 3:03 PM
    in reply to: #4259759

User image

Coach
    Stairway to Seven
    Subject: RE: True beginners swim help
    I concur, except I would add a "sumcheck" of simply counting your strokes..but the suggestion of focusing long, can off the top shelf sort of thing SHOULD in theory keep that under control.

Daniel's method is another very simple way to keep things in check so that you're not reinforcing poor form (manifested by the clock time going up!) even if you don't want to count strokes.

Add to the challenge...if your numbers are like he has above...50 then 58... Next time try to start around 58 and you'll be fresher for what's to come.

What you are doing is supporting the fitness needed to sustain a better, more efficient stroke...in a simple way that's not confusing. And gaining more control over your swim as you progress.

2012-06-13 3:48 PM
    in reply to: #4259759

User image

Chicago
    Subject: RE: True beginners swim help

Sounds fun, I'll give it a try.  It's going to be tough letting go of the triple lindy, but if you say it works...

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » True beginners swim help Rss Feed