General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USADA files charges against Lance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2012-06-15 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4260078

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: USADA files charges against Lance

Here's what I don't understand.  I get that there may have been a culture of doping in 2000-06.  But by 09-10, there was clearly a crack down.  You would have to be a moron to continue using these techniques by that point.  I can't imagine that LA would be quite that stupid, particularly since he's jokingly called himself "the most tested athlete in the world" going back to at least 2007 or so.  By that point, he clearly was wearing a big yellow target, so why in the world would he do anything to jeopardize his cash cow?

Am I missing something about the long term effects on blood profile?  Is it possible to be so fit that you just DO have more red blood cells, for example, without the doping?  I mean, he has been competing on this elite level for a looong time -- since his early teens, and he's 40 -- and that has to have long term effects on body chemistry as well.

It just doesn't make sense to me that tests from 09-10 would show anything, given the history.

2012-06-15 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
So let me get this straight. Everyone but Lance Armstrong got caught or was implicated in a doping scandal during all the Tour de France that he won. At this level, the genetic differences between the top 10 finishers is 3% at the most. You're telling me that everyone was taking steroids but LA wasn't?? Give me a break! He just had better doctors and masking agents so that his tests came out negative. You're also going to say that his ex-teammates ratted him out even though he was innocent? At this level, whether it is running, cycling or triathlon, everyone is taking banned products to enhance performance. I have trained with a lot of top level athletes who have doped or have been offered to dope and decided not to so they quit the sport. I cannot believe how naive people are in these forums to think that these athletes are clean. Maybe Lance Armstrong didn't test positive, so what? Everyone that knows about cycling knows that he did dope and should suffer the consequences of his actions. Anyone who is on strava can also see the insance workouts that this guy has been doing right before an Ironman. 100 mile bike rides followed by 20 mile long runs 10 days before the race? Name another athlete who is doing that before an Ironman! If you believe that people who break world records are clean, you are simply out of your mind.
2012-06-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4263408

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
dinabean - 2012-06-15 9:00 AM

It just doesn't make sense to me that tests from 09-10 would show anything, given the history.

That's been the issue all along -- the blood test results only "suggest" PED use, but can never prove it.

2012-06-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4263470

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
This x2
goran007 - 2012-06-15 12:28 PM So let me get this straight. Everyone but Lance Armstrong got caught or was implicated in a doping scandal during all the Tour de France that he won. At this level, the genetic differences between the top 10 finishers is 3% at the most. You're telling me that everyone was taking steroids but LA wasn't?? Give me a break! He just had better doctors and masking agents so that his tests came out negative. You're also going to say that his ex-teammates ratted him out even though he was innocent? At this level, whether it is running, cycling or triathlon, everyone is taking banned products to enhance performance. I have trained with a lot of top level athletes who have doped or have been offered to dope and decided not to so they quit the sport. I cannot believe how naive people are in these forums to think that these athletes are clean. Maybe Lance Armstrong didn't test positive, so what? Everyone that knows about cycling knows that he did dope and should suffer the consequences of his actions. Anyone who is on strava can also see the insance workouts that this guy has been doing right before an Ironman. 100 mile bike rides followed by 20 mile long runs 10 days before the race? Name another athlete who is doing that before an Ironman! If you believe that people who break world records are clean, you are simply out of your mind.

Edited by Diesel 2012-06-15 11:31 AM
2012-06-15 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

goran007 - 2012-06-15 12:28 PM So let me get this straight. Everyone but Lance Armstrong got caught or was implicated in a doping scandal during all the Tour de France that he won. At this level, the genetic differences between the top 10 finishers is 3% at the most. You're telling me that everyone was taking steroids but LA wasn't?? Give me a break! He just had better doctors and masking agents so that his tests came out negative. You're also going to say that his ex-teammates ratted him out even though he was innocent? At this level, whether it is running, cycling or triathlon, everyone is taking banned products to enhance performance. I have trained with a lot of top level athletes who have doped or have been offered to dope and decided not to so they quit the sport. I cannot believe how naive people are in these forums to think that these athletes are clean. Maybe Lance Armstrong didn't test positive, so what? Everyone that knows about cycling knows that he did dope and should suffer the consequences of his actions. Anyone who is on strava can also see the insance workouts that this guy has been doing right before an Ironman. 100 mile bike rides followed by 20 mile long runs 10 days before the race? Name another athlete who is doing that before an Ironman! If you believe that people who break world records are clean, you are simply out of your mind.

Although passing a drug test does not mean he's innocent, just because he can do workouts that you and I cannot do, does not mean he's guilty either.  Just a thought from reading your post. 

2012-06-15 11:41 AM

User image

New user
Austin

2012-06-15 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4263201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA
qrkid - 2012-06-15 9:35 AM
SurfingLamb - 2012-06-15 10:05 AM
abrezo - 2012-06-15 7:18 AM
RushTogether - 2012-06-15 6:29 AM
SurfingLamb - 2012-06-14 5:26 PM
briderdt - 2012-06-14 4:20 PM

One thing that bothers me -- much has been said that USADA and WTC are not courts, and thus do not have to abide by the "innocent until proven guilty" and "no double jeopardy" ideals. But aren't these ideals part of the US Constitution?

How is it that they can be allowed to function above the Constitution? Are they a law unto themselves, beholden to no one? Where is the accountability and oversight of the USADA?

Its not so much the rules they are applying here - but the way in which they apply them.  I.E. - the rules that they're applying for Lance are NOT the same rules that are being applied across the board to other people.  The whole "suspend first/questions later" routine is new ground for them.

As big of fan of Lance that I am, WTC is doing what the pro contract says, and has always said.

To me this is like the zero tolerance policies at school.  Alls good and fair until the 1st grader get expelled for bringing a 2" GI JOe gun to school.  It's part of the Zero tolerance, yet very stupid.  WTC has there rule, fine, but I'm sure it was intended for anything "NEW", not a reaccuring ego trip against a guy from another sport that happens to carry over to IM.  Just my thought.

Adam

I think it sets a VERY dangerous precedent that allows an outside organization to prevent any competitor from competing by simply bringing up allegations and causing an investigation to go on.

It opens up Pandora's Box and is a rule that can be abused significantly.  

You are now stretching just a tad. It was a rule in place before Lance even started in WTC events and he signed an athlete agreement agreeing to the policy. No box of any description is being opened.

Again,  what outside organization is preventing him from competing? None.

You're missing the point.  With these rules (not saying that the WTC enforcing the rule is wrong, I'm saying that this unique circumstance exposes a major flaw in the rule) - the WTC puts themselves in a position where an outside agency's investigation (that can come about simply by allegations, etc) can prevent an athlete from competing.

So what happens when Triathlete A is favored to win Kona and Triathlete B needs to place high in an upcoming race to qualify - and Triathlete A has people who accuse Triathlete B of doping and manages to get an investigation going?

You're 100% right - it's stretched, but if the possibility exists (and it's far from remote imo) - the rule needs to be mended and updated.  That's why rules change - you DO change the system for an individual if they expose an unfair flaw in the system.

Also, it's against the spirit of the rule.  The rule was never intended for someone who had an accusation against them to be suspended until it was solved (with no time table for resolution).  

2012-06-15 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4262593

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
tjfry - 2012-06-14 9:51 PM
Goosedog - 2012-06-14 2:33 PM
JohnnyKay - 2012-06-14 2:05 PM
tjfry - 2012-06-14 1:43 PM

Agreed. A non profit is little more than a tax form and a few accounting rules. Sesame Street is non profit and they make gazillions in revenue.

Down with Sesame Street!

It's Occupy Sesame Street. https://www.facebook.com/occupysesamestreet

That was seriously hilarious! Might be following that page now. and for the record I have no problem with a non profit killing it, I just don't get all weepy when somene says they're a non for profit. It's just a different way to move the money. not much more.

Yeah, it's just hard for me to get up in arms about this whole Lance/USADA/WTC thing when 99% of the cookies are being eaten by 1% of the monsters.  Enough already!

2012-06-15 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

goran007 - 2012-06-15 11:28 AM So let me get this straight. Everyone but Lance Armstrong got caught or was implicated in a doping scandal during all the Tour de France that he won. At this level, the genetic differences between the top 10 finishers is 3% at the most. You're telling me that everyone was taking steroids but LA wasn't?? Give me a break! He just had better doctors and masking agents so that his tests came out negative. You're also going to say that his ex-teammates ratted him out even though he was innocent? At this level, whether it is running, cycling or triathlon, everyone is taking banned products to enhance performance. I have trained with a lot of top level athletes who have doped or have been offered to dope and decided not to so they quit the sport. I cannot believe how naive people are in these forums to think that these athletes are clean. Maybe Lance Armstrong didn't test positive, so what? Everyone that knows about cycling knows that he did dope and should suffer the consequences of his actions. Anyone who is on strava can also see the insance workouts that this guy has been doing right before an Ironman. 100 mile bike rides followed by 20 mile long runs 10 days before the race? Name another athlete who is doing that before an Ironman! If you believe that people who break world records are clean, you are simply out of your mind.

On the flip side of the coin - you mean to tell me that Lance Armstrong is the ONLY guy smart enough to pass tests?  He was the ONLY guy who had access to the "better drugs that were undetectable?"  His doctors ONLY worked with him or gave him special treatment?

I'm more inclined to believe that Armstrong is clean than I am to believe that he some sort of Lex Luthor genius/super chemist who has everyone bought off with the exception of a few bitter people that work for a French newspaper.

I'm of the opinion that if the guy passes tests (and supposedly he's been tested before and after and with random in betweens by the WTC ever since he started doing pro tris), then he's clean.  If he's cheating and finds a way to mask/beat those tests when no one else can - then there's nothing anyone can do about it imo.  

It's a VERY slippery slope when you say "Hey - he's better than the rest and is the best - that must mean he's cheating!"

2012-06-15 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4263529

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
SurfingLamb - 2012-06-15 1:55 PM

On the flip side of the coin - you mean to tell me that Lance Armstrong is the ONLY guy smart enough to pass tests?  He was the ONLY guy who had access to the "better drugs that were undetectable?"  His doctors ONLY worked with him or gave him special treatment?

Actually, most of the athletes that have been implicated in doping (see the earlier list in this thread) were caught due to criminal investigations into systematic doping programs (or just bad luck like in the Festina case) and not due to failed doping control tests.

Shane
2012-06-15 8:56 PM

User image

Elite

goran007 - 2012-06-15 10:28 AM So let me get this straight. Everyone but Lance Armstrong got caught or was implicated in a doping scandal during all the Tour de France that he won. At this level, the genetic differences between the top 10 finishers is 3% at the most. You're telling me that everyone was taking steroids but LA wasn't?? Give me a break! He just had better doctors and masking agents so that his tests came out negative. You're also going to say that his ex-teammates ratted him out even though he was innocent? At this level, whether it is running, cycling or triathlon, everyone is taking banned products to enhance performance. I have trained with a lot of top level athletes who have doped or have been offered to dope and decided not to so they quit the sport. I cannot believe how naive people are in these forums to think that these athletes are clean. Maybe Lance Armstrong didn't test positive, so what? Everyone that knows about cycling knows that he did dope and should suffer the consequences of his actions. Anyone who is on strava can also see the insance workouts that this guy has been doing right before an Ironman. 100 mile bike rides followed by 20 mile long runs 10 days before the race? Name another athlete who is doing that before an Ironman! If you believe that people who break world records are clean, you are simply out of your mind.

So then what is your solution... this is what I don't get. All cyclists dope... nobody can do what they do naturally. The teams that have got busted were breaking laws... only a few actually got caught by doping controls.... so then, what good does it do to expose Lance, or to take away his titles. If everyone dopes, then the titles just go to the next doper that didn't get caught.

So how is this going to help "clean up cycling", when even today yhey still try to get around it. If every one stoped doping today, we would still have the same races, just at a slower speed. If EVERYONE is doping, then the field is level. Same race, just faster.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USADA files charges against Lance Rss Feed  

of 8