Lower Shore Family YMCA
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 58s
Overall Rank = 34/169
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 19/46
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15am. Showered and chilled. Drank some water. Loaded up the truck and got on the road at about 6am. Got there pretty early and got a great bike rack. Just walked around, talked with a CMS member and a friend who was doing her first triathlon. Ate a Clif bar and a banana about an hour and 45 min. before race start.
Event warmup:

Non really. Swam for a few minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 09m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the most physical swim I've done yet. About 80-100 starting in a very small area. Got pounded and pounded a few back. Pretty happy with keeping my wits and not letting the contact bother me. Just held my ground and swam. Didn't take long to catch the first wave so I basically spent the entire swim going around people (which is nice for a change).
What would you do differently?:

I think I went a little too hard on the swim. My HR was through the roof when I came out of the water and it took me quite a while to hit a groove on the bike. I need to relax and swim smoother and easier.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Great transition. Shoes on the bike went awesome thanks to some practice yesterday. Transition time includes a 50 yard run from the pond to transition.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 41m 45s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 20.55 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs just didn't have anything in them for the first half of the bike. The first mile was with the wind, then it was like 10+ miles alternating directly into the wind or into a quartering headwind. I wonder if the hard swim made the bike tough. For some reason I didn't feel like touching the Accelerade so I stuck to water. Drank about 16 oz. H2O.

Felt like I did the best I could in the conditions. I was hoping for 21 mph+, but it wasn't happening today.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Another good transition. Felt slow getting my socks on.
Run
  • 30m 25s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Run performance was way below expectation. I was pretty tired coming off the bike and didn't feel like I could push it much. This was a terrible pace for me based on my training and performance at the practice tri last weekend. It's obvious that running was me weak leg and limiter of the day. I'm not surprised based on my low running volume recently. I thought the run was measured a little long, but I didn't hear anyone else saying the same thing so I guess I just had a bad run.

Effort level was high. I just couldn't get goin'.
Post race
Warm down:

Endurox, banana. Waited at the finish for a couple people I knew in the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running.

Event comments:

Great race altogether. The weather held out (barely) which was nice. Probably the nicest race shirt I've gotten - long sleeve with a very cool swim/bike/run graphic.

Last updated: 2006-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:23 | 880 yards | 01m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/46
Overall: 22/169
Performance: Good
Suit: New QR sleeveless
Course: Freshwater pond. Very clear water. To the end of the pond, 50 yards across, then back. Definitely measured short. I would guess it was somewhere around 700 yards. Very shallow at some points...people were walking half way into the swim.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:45 | 14.3 miles | 20.55 mile/hr
Overall: 36/169
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: A loop, but not a perfect circle.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:25 | 03.5 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 80/169
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out and back. First and last 200 yards were on grass which I hated. The ground was very uneven and had mole tunnels all through it.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-03 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: Pocomoke Triathlon

2006-06-03 8:55 PM
in reply to: #442271

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: RE: Pocomoke Triathlon
Nice race, Dave. Too bad about the run, but you had a whole lotta positives - 20.5mph with a good amount of headwind is outstanding, a blistering swim pace (must be the new suit... or maybe all the pool time), and great transitions.  Focus on the negative splits and you'll have a great race in Ft Delaware next week.
2006-06-04 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Congratulations on a great race.  Your swimm rocked -- all that traffic and still a 1:34/100 pace --- AWESOME!   Your wetsit prolly helped some - I know I swim much faster in mine.

Bike -- well, I'd have been eating your dust the whoe way!  almost 21 MPH -- that rocks!

Run-- We all have our off days, don't beat yourself up.  You'll do better at Ft. Delaware.

All in all you should be quite pleased!  34 out of 169 -- that's the top 20 percent of the race.  Not too shabby if you ask me! 

Keep it up!

2006-06-08 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
great job, Dave.  I think the swimm time was very good, even for 700yds!  Don't worry about the run split, that will come later.  Are you planning to do Lums Pond in August?  I already signed up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pocomoke Triathlon Rss Feed