General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 California : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-04-01 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4682765

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California : Official Thread
bad91 - 2013-04-01 7:54 PM

lmhutch86 - 2013-04-01 5:52 PM I was the Major Catastrophe amongst BTers. I knew I was in over my head a few weeks back after my training got derailed when my back went out. Also, I just didn't ride enough hills. I was the one walking up the hills on the bike. Then when i got to mile 3 (about) on the run, I started cramping and my toes curledevery time I tried to jog. I finished in 9 hours and it being my first, I am just glad to have finished. My goal was closer to 8 and I am sure that if I could have jogged, I would have done better. I am just disappointed that when I crossed the finish line, I had lots of energy still to give but not the legs under me.
I am taking this race as a huge learning experience and looking forward to training harder and doing better next year!! I can only go up from here!!

You are NOT a major castastrophe, You are an 1/2 Ironman finisher.  BE PROUD!  It is not an easy task. During this race, I too was hurting and wanted to quit but I didnt and finished.  You live and learn and next year, you will do a helluva lot better.  Congrats on your finish.  

I agree. Many cant finish with their able bodies. But you somehow managed to gather yourself and tough it out! NICE JOB!

2013-04-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4682602

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

lmhutch86 - 2013-04-01 5:52 PM I was the Major Catastrophe amongst BTers. I knew I was in over my head a few weeks back after my training got derailed when my back went out. Also, I just didn't ride enough hills. I was the one walking up the hills on the bike. Then when i got to mile 3 (about) on the run, I started cramping and my toes curledevery time I tried to jog. I finished in 9 hours and it being my first, I am just glad to have finished. My goal was closer to 8 and I am sure that if I could have jogged, I would have done better. I am just disappointed that when I crossed the finish line, I had lots of energy still to give but not the legs under me.
I am taking this race as a huge learning experience and looking forward to training harder and doing better next year!! I can only go up from here!!

This was a first time finish for me, second start.

(I DNF's SuperSeal/Frog === whichever is the HIM)

I passed my time daydreaming funny T-shirt design ideas for my BOP status... "Back of the Pack - Where the water is warmer!"

At this distance, it is about conditioning, but it is also about being a science experiment... when can you eat, what should you eat, water or electrolytes, etc. 

A lot of people buy M-Dot gear, but how many people have that finishers' medal?

2013-04-02 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4682777

User image

blackorcutt - 2013-04-01 8:08 PM
bad91 - 2013-04-01 7:54 PM

You are NOT a major castastrophe, You are an 1/2 Ironman finisher.  BE PROUD!  It is not an easy task. During this race, I too was hurting and wanted to quit but I didnt and finished.  You live and learn and next year, you will do a helluva lot better.  Congrats on your finish.  

I agree. Many cant finish with their able bodies. But you somehow managed to gather yourself and tough it out! NICE JOB!

X whatever.  Finishing is never a major catastrophe, especially after it gets hard.  Congrats on the finish!

2013-04-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4260416

User image

Don't know if this will show up, but interesting .gif comparison of the 2012-2013 swim course.

2013-04-02 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4260416

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

Just read some of the race reports.

We have some impressive people who were on the course.

Stay awesome!

2013-04-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4680634

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
pbreed - 2013-03-31 7:58 AM

Andy Potts won in 3:49:50...

Heather Jackson did it in 4:13:48

So guys if you did it in less than 7:39:40

and Gals if you did it in less than 8:27:36

Then you can join my club, I call it Half-Fast Triathletes!

I finished in 7:11:3 This course was WAY WAY  harder then Augusta (I did Augusta in Sep

Hey, I think I qualify for that club! I've thought about doing an "easier" course if/when I do another 70.3 but I must admit I really really liked this race.

2013-06-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: obohlman

User image

Torrance, California
I signed up! This will be my first HIM. I was supposed to do Vineman last year but had to withdraw due to injury. I swore I'd never do another winter time (COLD!) tri....but didn't feel like waiting until next summer to take the plunge. Happy training!
2013-06-24 12:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Taopu

I signed up! This will be my first HIM. I was supposed to do Vineman last year but had to withdraw due to injury. I swore I'd never do another winter time (COLD!) tri....but didn't feel like waiting until next summer to take the plunge. Happy training!

Can't speak to where you'll be training but this race had perfect weather this year. Not cold race morning, perfect on the bike, and almost a bit warm on the run (I got a bad sunburn). Definitely wasn't cold but I know it was in 2012.

Start working on the bike now and get hill work in. This course is HILLY

Edited by devilfan02 2013-06-24 12:05 PM
2013-06-24 2:24 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Originally posted by devilfan02
Originally posted by Taopu I signed up! This will be my first HIM. I was supposed to do Vineman last year but had to withdraw due to injury. I swore I'd never do another winter time (COLD!) tri....but didn't feel like waiting until next summer to take the plunge. Happy training!
Can't speak to where you'll be training but this race had perfect weather this year. Not cold race morning, perfect on the bike, and almost a bit warm on the run (I got a bad sunburn). Definitely wasn't cold but I know it was in 2012. Start working on the bike now and get hill work in. This course is HILLY

But don't ignore fit and the ability to stay in aero.  The course is not actually that hilly from an overall sense - only 2500ish feet of climbing, but most of that is concentrated in about 15 miles.  The rest is rolling to flat.  You will have a huge advantage if you can comfortably be in aero for the last 12 or so miles

2013-06-24 4:41 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by devilfan02
Originally posted by Taopu I signed up! This will be my first HIM. I was supposed to do Vineman last year but had to withdraw due to injury. I swore I'd never do another winter time (COLD!) tri....but didn't feel like waiting until next summer to take the plunge. Happy training!
Can't speak to where you'll be training but this race had perfect weather this year. Not cold race morning, perfect on the bike, and almost a bit warm on the run (I got a bad sunburn). Definitely wasn't cold but I know it was in 2012. Start working on the bike now and get hill work in. This course is HILLY

But don't ignore fit and the ability to stay in aero.  The course is not actually that hilly from an overall sense - only 2500ish feet of climbing, but most of that is concentrated in about 15 miles.  The rest is rolling to flat.  You will have a huge advantage if you can comfortably be in aero for the last 12 or so miles

This is true. When I think of IMCA 70.3, all I think of is miles 30-45 on the bike which kicked my . It made staying in aero very difficult the last 10+ miles which were all into the wind. Challenging course in my opinion but it's very fair.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 California : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16