General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Appling, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 24s
Overall Rank = 254/262
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 21/22
Pre-race routine:

Arrived the night before and drove the bike course. Hit Arbys for dinner. Checked in at the Holiday Inn Express, watched some TV and called it a night. Slept fitfully. Had a Clif Bar, some coffee and gatorade for breakfast. Left the hotel at 6:30 and arrived at the park about 20 minutes later.

This was a special race for me because a coworker drove over with me and did the duathlon - we did the Russell Olympic last year. We've become friends over the last several years and I really enjoy his company. He's moving back to Colorado soon after losing his job in a reorganization - and I'm the one that had to make the decision to do it. It's indicative of the kind of guy that he is that he has not let the professional mess intrude on our friendship. He's a great guy, and I'll miss him - personally and professionally. Oh, and he smoked me again on race time!
Event warmup:

Parked a couple of hundred yards away from the transition area. Walked the bikes down, hit the restroom and set up transition area. Walked around to get the lay of the land, and stretched a good bit to avoid persistent left leg problems that have plagued my training in the last month. Swam a little before the start to get acclimated.
Swim
  • 22m 43s
  • 600 meters
  • 03m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

My goal was to have a nice comfortable swim, since I have not been in the pool for a month, for various reasons - illness, injury and family obligations. I wanted to swim easily and comfortably, and come out of the water with HR under control.

Goals accomplished, maybe a little too well. My swim time indicated that I must have stopped for coffee along the way. Can't figure that out, but it was a comfortable swim. I even thought along the way "this is good, I'm having some fun."

Runnergirl29 was cheering swimmers on at the end of the finish and holding a BT sign. It was nice to have some encouragement at that point.
What would you do differently?:

Hit the pool in June - regularly - and work on swimming a lot faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Other than getting the mud off of my feet before putting on socks and shoes, it seemed to go pretty well.

Not much
Bike
  • 45m 36s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 15.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to ride the bike a little more aggressively than the swim, but still to take it a little easy to save something for the run. Generally up hill for a mile or so, turn right then rollers to a turnaround, back to another right turn, a couple of miles to another turnaround, then 3 miles mostly downhill to the finish.

Took me a few minutes to get my legs going, and the hills seemed to be tougher than they should have. I felt pretty comfortable. Other than shooting Gatorade all over myself because the top on my bottle was not securely fastened, the bike was ok.

Used the final mile, which was mostly flat, to get HR down and prepare for run. Passed, being passed was about equal, most of the people passing were obviously much stronger riders than I was.

Mostly, it was a pretty fun and enjoyable ride.

Ride faster, train on more hillls.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Not much here, yank everything off, put on running shoes and take off. I could shave some time here by running from the dismount line, but running is my achilles heel, so I used the walk to get my HR down.

Not much.
Run
  • 40m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to just have a good run. I don't normally have a problem with a 3 mile run, but training was inconsistent in the last month due to illness, injury and family obligations. I ran the majority of the run, but didn't mind taking a walk break if I felt that I needed it.

Despite my relatively slow bike speed I must be pushing the legs and HR too much, because I have a tough time getting into a good running groove, plus my tendancy is to go too hard out of transition, when I need to take it slow and easy.

Overall the time was much slower than I had hoped. So my goal for next Sprint is to train so that I can complete the run without stopping.

The trail run through the woods was very nice. I also had a good time on the run.

Train more, run entire course.
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped right out of the chute to meet and talk with Runnergirl29 and BlueJack. It was a pleasure to meet them, and to finally meet some fellow BTers. Janelle has so much enthusiasm that it motivates me just to here her talk about her training and races. I've got to get serious now about the SC Half. I hope to meet more of you at future races.

Overall, not my best race. Got to figure out what's going on with the swim. But had a great time and lots of fun. This wasy my 6th triathlon - one day I'm going to be faster.

I'm not too fast, but I enjoy the heck out of triathlons. Competing against myself and enjoying the fact that I out doing something that is healthy and fun is great satisfaction to me.

I look at it this way...I'm a definite BOPer. I'm sure that there are a lot of people in Georgia who could do a triathlon with a lot less training and effort than me. But of the 5 million people in Georgia, only 250 or so were at this triathlon so I feel pretty good. Of course if all 5 million showed up at the next triathlon, I might still be BOP.:>)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What else, training.

Event comments:

BlueSky always hosts a great race at the Tri the Parks series. Very fun and enjoyable.

Last updated: 2006-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:43 | 600 meters | 03m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/262
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Triangular course with right hand turns.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:36 | 11.6 miles | 15.26 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: A Y shapped out and back course with two turnarounds. Rolling hills with a couple of nice hills were nice going down, but tough going back up.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:59 | 03.1 miles | 13m 13s  min/mile
Course: First mile was trail run through the woods with a killer hill not far from the start. The out on a paved park road to a turn around. Back though the woods for a ways then back on park roads to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-03 8:21 PM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park

2006-06-03 11:21 PM
in reply to: #442285

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park
Good job bud! The best thing about tri is to challenge oneself -- keep it up.... see you at the next race...
2006-06-04 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

runnergirl motivates me so much by email...can't wait to meet her...I am doing one of the state park sprints in august with a bunch of BT people so I may meet u.

I am very new to this sport and yesterday was soooo the BOP...while humbling I try to remember the same things...we got out of bed and did something many people wouldn't even try. And if we enjoy it and it keeps us heathly (on so many levels) then we are doing a good thing no matter what the clock says!

2006-06-05 8:45 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

It was so nice to meet you!  I enjoyed talking to you after the race!

You did a great job and have a good attitude about this sport.  Even if you're not FOP you're still doing way more than tehe average person who's sitting at home sleeping in or eating at Waffle House on a Saturday morning!  I did this race last year and thought the bike course was a little tough- the rolling hills don't look so bad, but your legs definitely feel them!  I've always thought that run course it tough.  I had to walk that steep hill in the woods last year if that makes you feel any better.

Nice race- I hope to see you at more races this summer. 

I'm still in for Cartersville so hopefully I'll see you at the end of the month!

2006-06-05 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Nice job.  I didn't meet you at the race... maybe next time
2006-06-05 12:27 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
It was great to see you at the race! I had a blast meeting all the cool BTers. The swimming will work itself out. It sounds like you have a lot going on. See you at the races.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed