World Triathlon Corporation
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 28m 7s
Overall Rank = 618/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 111/
Pre-race routine:

Tried to stay warm in the freezing cold. Had racked bike night before, but stayed in car a long time before going to T1. Just trying to stay out of the rain and wind. The time waiting before the race was as cold as I have ever been. After the announcement that they had cut the bike course to 15 miles, basically just going back to town, my motivation went. Considered not doing the race. It was really miserable out there. Jason and I decided to just do the swim. So I went forward.
Event warmup:

None. Just tried to stay warm. I did refrain from peeing in my wetsuit until after I was in the water, though several said they hadn't. Anything to stay warm.
Swim
  • 42m 13s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

Took a long time to warm up. Never felt like I got into a rhythm. Cramped a little towards the end. But felt like I navigated pretty good for me. Never got really off course, as I sometimes do.
What would you do differently?:

Better mental approach. Needed to be more focused on the day from the start. But, was difficult given the conditions.
Transition 1
  • 09m 9s
Comments:

This was a very slow transition, obviously. Part was trying to figure out if Jason and Ashley had gone on, part was trying to get gloves and arm warmers on, part was just not being as focused and organized as I should have been. Also, my front tire had been flat before the swim. I pumped it up, but wasn't sure if I had a flat or what was going on. It was still firm when I got back from the swim, so figured I would go on. If it had been flat, it would have been another sign not to go on.

Take away is to be more organized in a event with a bag transition set up. Put my stuff in the bag in reverse order of what I'll need.
Bike
  • 39m 55s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Took it really easy coming down the hill. Wasn't sure of front tire holding, and didn't want to push it on the wet road. After that, just tried to keep it steady, focusing on having a good run.

Nothing really to comment on this ride. With the course cut, it didn't really tell me anything about my pacing or preparation.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Took a little while to get shoes out of the extra bag I had them in to keep them dry from the rain. Was cold, so wasn't thinking really good. But, remembered my Garmin this time, which was good.

Be more organized, and move with more urgency.
Run
  • 1h 54m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me. With the day going the way it was, the focus became having as good a run as I could have. For me, this was it. This was a great run for me. Very happy. Would really be interesting to know how I would have run after a full bike course. Obviously slower than this, but hopefully still under 2 hours, assuming I paced the bike right.

Maybe push a little harder, although feel like I paced it right.
Post race
Warm down:

Just found my family and went to the birthday party that was going on at same time. My family was at finish thinking I would be coming in off the bike at that time, they didn't know that the bike had been shortened. But fortunately, it worked out that I was done at the same time as I would have been coming off the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather.

Event comments:

Hard to know how to feel about this race this year. I'm not going to second guess the officials' decision to cut the bike. They have to think about the safety of all of us. I do feel bad for those for whom this would have been first HIM. I will just try to take what lessons I can and move forward.

Last updated: 2011-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:13 | 2112 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:09
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:55 | 14 miles | 21.04 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Straight back into town from Lucky Peak.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:54:02 | 13.1 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-13 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2012-06-14 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4260854

Veteran
San Mateo, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
This race was definitely a challenge in unexpected ways, both mentally and physically.  Good job seeing it through to the end.
2012-06-15 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Man we were close on all our times.  Great effort .  Like other have said finishing was the trick that day.  I keep telling self it's a new cold weather PR.  Great effort.

2012-06-16 2:09 PM

Sounds like a tough day out there. Great attitude Kyle, do your best and take what the day gives you. Now go train for IM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed