General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Appling, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Total Time = 1h 14m 23s
Overall Rank = 63/262
Age Group = 31-35
Age Group Rank = 9/27
Pre-race routine:

2.5 hours before the race, I ate 2 ban muffins, a banana, and took 2 ibuprofen. Drank OJ and a little soda (caffeine). I alwasy follow this routine. If I eat much closer to race time, it feels like a brick in my stomach.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, brief jog for 2 minutes, brief ride for 2 minutes, checked tires, etc.
Swim
  • 14m 5s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Much more comfortable swim this time. I started in the first wave, and really did a much better job of staying in my own rhythm. Since my goal for this race was to have a better, more comfortable swim, I accomplished that. The only thing I would do next would be to push it a little more, because I know I can swim it faster, now that I'm more comfortable in the open water swim
What would you do differently?:

Work on speed in the time until my next triathlon.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

It is now time for me to get speed laces. A majority of this time was spent tying shoes in prep for the bike/run. Also, I put on a shirt, which took some time (10-15s). I will buy a tri top or maybe a full trisuit for my next race.

Tri suit top vs tri top and speed laces. Both of these will speed me up.
Bike
  • 34m 41s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 20.07 mile/hr

It may be time to ditch the toe clips and get clipless pedals. Also, aerobars may be good as well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

One advantage of toe clips is that I don't have to change shoes. It's literally jump off bike, take off helmet, and go.
Run
  • 23m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

If I had a better idea of distance left,I could have kicked up my cadence in the last 1.1 miles more. As it was, I sprinted the last 200m to make up. Still, this is about my average 5k time in a tri.

On the whole,
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a lot, ate a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is only my 2nd tri, so I'm still on the steep edge of the learning curve. Transitions are getting better, but still not as fast as they could be.
Overall, I am extremely happy with my performance. I crushed my previous sprint time by over 12 minutes, so I am definitely making improvements. I know that future performances will likely not be as drastically improved, but I stilll loved every minute of it.

The only other thing I would do differently would be to really plan my run better. The first mile went well (hill notwithstanding), but I stopped planning my pace, cadence well after that. I should have estimated my position and really cranked up the pace the last 2 miles. I'm sure that I could have run a little faster if I had planned better and pushed it harder.

Last updated: 2006-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:05 | 656 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/262
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:41 | 11.6 miles | 20.07 mile/hr
Performance:
MUCH better bike this time. I really felt strong. Biking was the weakest of teh 3 for me in my first race, and I spent the last month really working on intervals and distance. I really did much better this time. In fact, I think I could have put more into it, but I did save some for the run.
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:02 | 03.1 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: HUGE mud hill in the first mile. Also, the course was poorly marked for distance ( I only recall seeing a marker at mile 1, and NONE therafter).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Subject: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park

2006-06-04 5:56 PM
in reply to: #442441

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park
Congrats. Nice race, especially the huge improvement from your first sprint to this. I hope to do the same. Sorry I didn't get to meet you there.
2006-06-04 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Great race!  Congratulations.
2006-06-04 8:01 PM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Nice improvement!  I'm going to use that for motivation for my next tri.  MT was my first and I hope to make some huge gains myself.  Didn't see you at the race.  Did you see the BT sign?  Maybe next time...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed