General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sad news for High Cliff tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-16 5:01 PM

New user

Subject: Sad news for High Cliff tri
http://www.fox11online.com//dpp/news/local/fox_cities/man-dies-duri... year old man died in the swimming portion.I am doing my first tri end of the month, these unfortunate stories, while we don't know all that happened that lead up to the drowning, make me glad I am signed up for a less stressful race. I am planning on 3 this summer, all non "sanctioned" so I plan on being smart and enjoying the ability to do them. I am not competitive and this is more of exercise thing then competition. I know I am odd! Anyway, everyone race smart this summer, we are having a strange summer in Wisconsin, super hot, next day cool, then humid, and hot again. So know the conditions, know your body.Finally, my sincerest condolences to the family of the triathlete lost today.

2012-06-16 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4265057

User image

Subject: RE: Sad news for High Cliff tri
So sad to hear that, my wife said she saw them do a rescue, but had no idea what happened or how severe it was. I feel terrible for him and his family.
2012-06-17 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Midwest Sports Events is not putting on a safe production anymore. They had 2 drownings in 2010 (Pewaukee, Oshkosh). 3 times in 3 years is really not safe. 
2012-06-17 11:30 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Here's the link since I got a 404 (missing) page:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/man-dies-during-high-cliff-triathlon

Okay, the information in the page really had no details.

I need to ask - why are these races not safe, actually?  Do they have cyanide-laced open water?  Does the water have exposed electrical lines in them?  Are there punji sticks placed in the shallow end upon exit?  Piranhas or sharks with lasers on their heads targeting this person?

The person drowned because, *gasp*, maybe the person did not know they had an undetected heart problem or they weren't prepared to handle the race?

I would have to say that the race co-ordinator(s), governing board, etc. have more than likely made it known in the disclaimer, that all have to sign, that there is a risk involved.

Unless there were no emergency personnel available (which there should be), or were not available for some reason, or were incompetent with doing their job, or someone attacked the athlete in the water, then the point is moot.

2012-06-17 6:05 PM

User image

Regular
Verona, WI
We all make mistakes and regardless of whether or not the athlete or organizer had issues we should learn from it and move on. Sad news.
2012-06-17 6:05 PM

User image

Regular
Verona, WI
We all make mistakes and regardless of whether or not the athlete or organizer had issues we should learn from it and move on. Sad news.

2012-06-18 6:41 AM

User image

Very sad, especially to witness.  I have my own opinions about that, but...

MSE has had a rough few years, and it is really starting to look like either there is a really long shot coincidence, of a pattern emerging.

My heart goes out to the family of the athlete.

2012-06-18 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI

I agree that this is very sad and yes it has happened at both MSE events and at  other tris. Many events including MSE events have beginner waves or have special caps for beginners.   This is a good safety measure. 

I have participated in many MSE events and I have been impressed with how they put on their events.  I did Pewaukee in 2010 and 2011.  There was an increase in lifeguards in 2011 however, there was no lack of in 2010.  The one thing I would like to see especially at Pewaukee is 2 elite waves, one for the women and one for the men.  I have raced elite both years and will again this year and I can definitly hold my own out there. However, when you are lined up next to guys that are twice your size and know that you are going to be battling for a spot in the water it can be a bit intimidating

While MSE has had some unfortunate incidents happen the last few years I don't believe that it is due to lack of safety measures on their part.

2012-06-19 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

So sad for the family.  I don't know exactly what happened but it is really sad to hear about these stories.

I did High Cliff 1/2 in 2010 and the waves were taller than me.  They should have cut the swim short as there were many times lifeguards were not visible, much less swimmers.  The trails were muddy and there was no attempt to make them safe either.  I am never doing that race again.

I also did Door County 1/2 in 2010 and 2011.  The difference was astounding.  There are so many swim buoys you don't really even need to sight.  The lifeguards were super close together and athlete tracking was superb in all stages of the race.  It was probably the best run race I have ever seen.

The difference isn't the distance, it's the focus on safety. 

2012-06-20 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4269849

User image

Expert

I also did Door County 1/2 in 2010 and 2011.  The difference was astounding. 

Thats a difference between a Gloria event and a Sean Ryan event  Sean's races are top-notch.

2012-06-20 7:04 PM

New user

I have a friend that did the race and she said it was a heart attack. She is not a big fan of this race, said too many people for the number of staff. I have another coffee friend that said she would never do this one because it's like swimming with dead people because there is so many bodies in the water. Both people said its way too many people.So my question is, so we can learn from this, is how many is too many? I am new to the sport, but for perspective, those of you that know the Bellin run, I won't do that because it's way too many people, I did sign up for a tiny tri that caps at 500 for each category, 1500 total. I think I will like that! I have read some threads where people say too many waves means the last half is swimming in mud instead of water, doesn't seem like something I want to do, unless it's a spa! Lol

2012-06-20 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4272500

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI

DrSues12 - 2012-06-20 7:04 PM I have a friend that did the race and she said it was a heart attack. She is not a big fan of this race, said too many people for the number of staff. I have another coffee friend that said she would never do this one because it's like swimming with dead people because there is so many bodies in the water. Both people said its way too many people.So my question is, so we can learn from this, is how many is too many? I am new to the sport, but for perspective, those of you that know the Bellin run, I won't do that because it's way too many people, I did sign up for a tiny tri that caps at 500 for each category, 1500 total. I think I will like that! I have read some threads where people say too many waves means the last half is swimming in mud instead of water, doesn't seem like something I want to do, unless it's a spa! Lol

Ironman is roughly 2500 at once

2012-06-20 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4272680

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI

Oops hit submit too soon.

What I was going to say is Ironman starts everyone but pros at once.  I think it is chaotic and it made me nervous, but I have never heard of a death DURING Ironman.  I know a lot of people have issues with this venue - and I agree with a lot of it.  However, things do happen that is beyond the race director/safety staff/athletes control.  We have professional athletes dropping dead from undetected heart issues.  It is going to happen unfortunately.  I would just question if there were enough lifeguards.  Sadly, if it was a heart issue, more lifeguards might not have meant he would have been safe.  I have participated in several events where they TELL you to raise your hand if you need help.  You are then teaching the lifeguards to look for someone asking for help.  Read the article. 

http://gcaptain.com/drowning/?10981

2012-06-21 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4272693

New user

Thanks for the article- I guess I knew that but like most people I remember or think the tv drowning is reality. Which is far from the truth.I asked my sister who does marathon cross country ski races what she looks for in races, safety-wise. She said she looks at the course which includes elevations, the temperature around the race day, then the cut off times which means she doesn't want to be skiing with the sweepers. She rarely is, but she does look to see what the support is using and how often they are posted. In skiing its a different type of safety, but she does consider the number of skiers and the temperature pretty early in her criteria.I did intentionally look for a tiny tri for my first tri, I didn't want to be overwhelmed by the number of people, and it's affiliated with a high school sports booster, so I feel safe from the race standpoint. Anything I bring to the table to cause an injury or not train enough I own.
2012-07-03 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4265611

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
1stTimeTri - 2012-06-17 11:30 AM

Here's the link since I got a 404 (missing) page:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/man-dies-during-high-cliff-triathlon

Okay, the information in the page really had no details.

I need to ask - why are these races not safe, actually?  Do they have cyanide-laced open water?  Does the water have exposed electrical lines in them?  Are there punji sticks placed in the shallow end upon exit?  Piranhas or sharks with lasers on their heads targeting this person?

The person drowned because, *gasp*, maybe the person did not know they had an undetected heart problem or they weren't prepared to handle the race?

I would have to say that the race co-ordinator(s), governing board, etc. have more than likely made it known in the disclaimer, that all have to sign, that there is a risk involved.

Unless there were no emergency personnel available (which there should be), or were not available for some reason, or were incompetent with doing their job, or someone attacked the athlete in the water, then the point is moot.

Main reasons for me that MSE are not safe, at least for me are of the following.

1. USAT rules: 1 lifeguard for every 50 swimmers, this DOES NOT happen at MSE events

2. Poor aid stations: High Cliff was another example of many in the front packs beating the volunteers to the aid stations

3. Gloria: She doesn't seem to be too organized and is always running with her head cut off, short, and sometimes tempered

4. Pewaukee: Way overcrowded course, full of beginners, dangers bike course with the # of participants

5. Waves: why are they in the registration order? it makes no sense and further complicates everything, every other race goes by AG, why not here?

6. Why do less and less people volunteer for MSE events every year? Why do I get emails the week before the race saying the need help and are short on volunteers

7. Price: Yes these races are cheap, you pay for what you get

Those are some reasons why I feel this way. I don't mean to hi-jack this thread from the OP, but I just wanted to make my points clear. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sad news for High Cliff tri Rss Feed