General Discussion Race Reports! » Rotary Pineapple Man™ Triathlon Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rotary Pineapple Man™ Triathlon Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne Beach, Florida
United States
rotarypineappleman.org
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 24s
Overall Rank = 72/273
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 4:30, breakfast of Eggy-McWinfough, water, Poweraid performance drink. Left the house at 5:35 am, arrived at the race course @ 6:00.
Event warmup:

I got out in the water and did some pre-race swimming. Since I'm still learning the sport I don't really know what exactly I'm supposed to be doing so there wasn't much to report.
Swim
  • 12m 55s
  • 587 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a mass start and I was right up front, for just a little bit. I'm not the strongest swimmer so lots of swimmers passed me pretty quickly. All I did was concentrate on spotting the bouys and breathing. I rounded the first bouy pretty good and kept going. I had the stamina to keep swimming even when I got bumped from the side and behind. After making the second bouy, I rounded and headed for the pier. On the last leg of the swim I finally got my breathing under control and was able to swim very comfortably.
What would you do differently?:

Relax a bit more and get my breathing under control. More open water swimming would help too.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I had a pretty good transition. Running down the pier I was able to remove my ear plugs, goggles and swim cap. I got my socks on and then my bike shoes. Sweat band, shades and helmet. Grabbed my bike and I was off.

Not much. I liked my transition and will probably do it like this again.
Bike
  • 45m 6s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.95 mile/hr
Comments:

On the out leg the wind was at our backs. On the way back, there was a slight head wind. I passed several riders on the corners so I was really pleased by my performance. I did stay hydrated fairly well until my water ran out. That occured over the last mile or so so it wasn't that bad. I also started to cramp in my calves right at the end. This really affected performance because I couldn't peddle hard. I maintained 21-23 going out and 20 coming back. At least I'm getting faster!!! Anthony did pass me again. :) That guy is fast.

More biking, more saddle time, better hydration and possibly take on some Clif Blocks at the beginning of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I found my rack spot quickly and was able to rack my bike, drop my helmet, don my shoes and I was away. Cramping in my calves were a bit of a problem but I powered through it and the cramps went away. I did take some fluids when I returned so that was a good move.

Plan on having a water bottle with fluids in it during transition. That was a great move. Also will try brining my race belt with the water bottles. Drinking from water cups is too hard.
Run
  • 27m 7s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

After initial cramping in my calves and hamstrings, I was able to settle down and get my legs together. My breathing was a bit heavy and I noticed I was breathing pretty hard most of the course. I tried several times to sprint from point A to point B but I found myself spending more time recovering so I quicly abandoned that plan. On the last turn heading for the finish line, I kicked it with all I had to the finish line.

Maintain a constant pace throughout. Possibly bring my fuel belt for additional fluids and don't sprint unless it's at the finish. More brick workouts and more running in the heat. I definately struggled near the end of the race since it was getting HOT.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit but my hamstrings were tightening up I couldn't move very much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have done better in the swim with more swim training, more bike riding and running. Overall, I did pretty well with the race.

Event comments:

There were only two drink stations on the run and it could have used a third. Overall, the race was well marked, lots of course workers/volunteers,etc.

You can see the full results at http://www.multirace.com/triathlon/TriathlonResults.aspx?Race=136

Here's the final stats for me...

Bib# 575
Steve Winfough
Swim: 0:12:55
T1: 1:06
Bike: 0:45:06
T2: 0:52
Run: 0:27:07
Penalties: 0
Total Time: 01:27:06
Overall: 72
Male: 51
A.G. 6
Age on 12/31/06: 37
Category: Male 35-39

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:55 | 587 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 8/273
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: The course was a counter-clockwise triangle, marked with a bunch of little bouys and several large bouys. Very well marked. Easy to see. The start was in the water and the exit was climbing up one of 4 aluminum ladders stuck down in the water. Not the best situation.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:06 | 15 miles | 19.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 60/273
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 7.5 mile out and back course along A1A in south Brevard. The first (and last) 2 miles are through a neighborhood with about 6 corners each. The remaining 5.5 miles out, and 5.5 coming back were down A1A which was rather smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:07 | 03.3 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 87/273
Performance: Average
Course: The course is 3.3 miles long and in the shape of a square. It's flat and mostly shaded. The second half is not shaded very well but once you reach this point it's time to motor on and finish the race!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 1:36 PM

User image

Brevard
Subject: Rotary Pineapple Man™ Triathlon Sprint

2006-06-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: #442511

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Rotary Pineapple Man™ Triathlon Sprint
Good race Steve. Looks like the bike training is paying off.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rotary Pineapple Man™ Triathlon Sprint Rss Feed