General Discussion Race Reports! » Navy Trident Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Navy Trident Triathlon and Duathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Shearwater, Nova Scotia
Canada
12C / 54F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 12m 59s
Overall Rank = 9/97
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/20
Pre-race routine:

Saturday - I had to work in the morning and had hoped to finished early enough to get in a swim and a bike, however I was only able to bike. I did around 30 minutes on the trainer with several pickups to race pace. I spent most of the evening sitting around watching a movie with Victoria and had a really good night's sleep. Was up around 6:30 with the dog and just sat around until around 8, when I started getting ready to head over to the race. I was planning to bike desite the weather and this turned out to be a good thing as less than 2km from home I heard a spoke let go :( Headed home and put on my training wheels. I consumed one can of Ensure before leaving and with a half hour to go I started sipping on a small bottle of Gatorade.
Event warmup:

I did the bike warmup on the way to the event. A few pickups to race pace but mainly just getting the legs moving. On the way over the wind really started to pick up (20km/h sustained with gusts to 40km/h) and I realized that my bike split was not going to meet my goals. Upon arrival, after getting marked and setting up transition, I went for a quick 2km run with 6 pickups to race pace. Felt really good and light on my feet. Finally, to the race briefing before being able to get in a quick 100m in the pool.
Swim
  • 12m 38s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt really good for the first half of the swim (6:00 split) but I made a decision at that point that I would slow my pace due to the heat of the pool (I was getting really uncomfortable) and the fact the bike was going to be brutal - so I slowed my pace for the remainder of the swim - I ended up going 8" slower than my goal time but feel I swam the race that made sense for today. I felt strong and comfortable throughout and I am sure that I could have gone under 12' if I had pushed myself. Not sure what that would have led to on the run though :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I forgot to put my number belt on - I had put it under my running shoes for some reason so I realized halfway up the hill. Other than that, it was a smooth, easy transition.

Practice jumping on the bike - still not 100% comfortable so I end up stopping and stepping on one shoe. Also, race belt under helmet - not under my running shoes.
Bike
  • 36m 28s
  • 17.78 kms
  • 29.25 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course was brutal - the wind was (according to the weather service) was 20km/h sustained with many sustained gusts to 40km/h. I had trouble maintaining 20km/h at some points and then could fly in others at close to 40km/h in others. I had hoped to average between 32-34km/h for the course but with the weather, I knew when I arrived that I wasn't going to be able to do that. So I stuck to the plan of trying to stay between 165-167bpm with a cadence around 90rpm and not worry about speed. For the first time, I was not caught by anyone on the bike and passed 1 person from my heat and four or five others from other heats. All in all it was a great ride.

I decided not to put my aerobars on my road bike (didn't want to retape the bars for one race - I'll have my tribike by then) but I was really wishing for a more aero position when I was going into the wind.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I felt really sluggish running with the bike - other than that this was a seamless transition. Remembered to get my race belt too :)

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 6s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 25s  min/km
Comments:

After getting on my shoes and getting out of transition, I felt great. I was able to get my legs turning over very well and was able to start to pickup the pace. I passed several people on the run and ran three strong laps - I was hoping to go under 22' but on a day like today I'll take the extra 6". I felt strong throughout the run, and was able to use the first bit of the first lap to get my legs going and then I ran a pretty consistent pace for the rest of it. I took a little water a couple of times but for the most part, I just ran. I also had nobody overtake me onthe run and was able to pass several people from other heats.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched. I was planning on riding home but with the wind and rain, decided I would go with Victoria. I might get a quick trainer ride in tonight but I feel really good right now.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather.

Event comments:

Overall a great race in terrible conditions - a great way to kick off the season. Although this wasn't an A race, my goal was to improve on last year's performance (1:13:49), try to finish in the top ten and if possible break 1:10. I didn't break 1:10, but I realized that before the race as the weather was just not going to cooperate. Also, with some of the athletes at the event, I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to finish in the top 10 so when I saw the final results, I was extremely pleased to see that I was 9th! Not on the AG podium this year but a much better performance all around.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:38 | 750 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 17/97
Performance: Good
Average HR - 167
Suit: Trisuit
Course: 30 lengths of the pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:28 | 17.78 kms | 29.25 km/hr
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 13/97
Performance:
Out - 5:28 HR 174 Lap 1 - 9:14 HR 167 Lap 2 - 9:13 HR 167 Lap 3 - 9:10 HR 165 Back - 3:26 HR 158
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A short stretch (mainly uphill) to the runways, then three laps of the runways followed by a quick downhill back to transition.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:06 | 05 kms | 04m 25s  min/km
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 9/97
Lap 1 - 7:31 HR 165 Lap 2 - 7:15 HR 168 Lap 3 - 7:21 HR 171
Course: Three out and backs in a residential neighbourhood - one hill just before the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Navy Trident Triathlon and Duathlon

2006-06-27 4:34 PM
in reply to: #442549

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Navy Trident Triathlon and Duathlon

wow shane!!! super job on this tri!!!  22 min for a 5k is uber fast!! nearly 7 min per mile!! excellent. The weather threw some stones atcha but you perservered!! 

keep up the great job!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Navy Trident Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed