United States
Lech Lecha Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 36s
Overall Rank = 3/81
Age Group = 35-47
Age Group Rank = 1/22
Pre-race routine:

The race was only a few miles from my house so I was able to sleep in a little longer than I normally do on race day. I woke up around 6 and was getting my breakfast ready and my phone rang.....I almost had to go into work but my boss bailed me out thank goodness. I quick showered, loaded the car, and headed out.
Event warmup:

This was a race that was put on as a fundraiser and the race start/finish was located at the organizer's house. The transition area was set-up in his front yard and we picked our own transition spots. I set-up my transition area and headed to the backyard to look at the small lake/pond that we would be swimming in. I recognized a few people and chatted with them and met a lot of new people as well. My wife and kids were able to make the drive from our house and watched the event from start to finish which was very exciting. I stretched a little bit and swam for a few minutes before the start. There were 4 waves of around 20 people and I was in the 2nd wave.
Swim
  • 11m 18s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wanted to start in the 1st wave but they asked for the first 20 volunteers to go and I missed out so I went off with the 2nd. My swim performance was average as I wanted to come in under 11 minutes. I keep saying that I need to improve on my swimming because it is my weakest event. I need to get in the water more and maybe I should push a little harder on the swim. I try and swim relaxed as to not burn myself out but the faster swimmers have a big jump on me getting to the bike. I did have to slow down at the 2 buoys to try and navigate around people who were slower. The 2 guys that beat me overall swam 2-3 minutes faster than I did (however they were college swimmers)

*Note: This was not a chip timed race and there were volunteers writing down racers finishing times with each sport. Transition times were not counted so other than the swim time I had to go off my watch with transition times.
What would you do differently?:

Next race I am going to push harder on the swim and see where that takes me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

This time was based off my watch so there could be a slight difference. Nothing major to note I guess.
Bike
  • 27m 30s
  • 10.4 miles
  • 22.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed quite a few people on the bike course and rode pretty hard. I had adjusted my aero bars the day before as to try and alleviate some shoulder pain and that seemed to really help. There were 2 intersections at 44th St. where they had police officers stationed and the first intersection I had to slow way down. I felt that I pushed the bike and came into T2 with 2 people in front of me. They did have the bike course listed at 10.4 miles. My computer had it at 10.62 and tracking the route on BT had it at 10.59.

Nothing to not.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

I had a little problem unstrapping my helmet for some reason but other than that I was able to get out of T2 fairly quickly.
Run
  • 14m 40s
  • 2.1 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew that there were 2 people in front of me and that they started in the first wave so they had a minute and a half head start but after seeing them on the run course I knew I was behind. I felt that I had a decent run, I could have pushed maybe a little harder the last mile. I knew that there were a couple of racers trying to catch me so I tried to keep my pace. They had this listed as a 2.1 mile run but I mapped it out as 2.2 miles so my pace was around 6.40 instead of 7.00.

Push a tad harder.
Post race
Warm down:

My family was waiting for me at the finish line and that was exciting because my kids have never been to a race. Grabbed some water and chatted with a few other people waiting for everyone else to finish up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim for sure so I have to try and buckle down and get faster.

Event comments:

For this being a 'backyard' race I thought it was very well done. There were a ton of volunteers and there was enough post-race food/water for everyone with music going. I will be coming back next year.

Last updated: 2012-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:18 | 600 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/81
Performance: Average
Suit: Pro Motion
Course: This was a small lake/pond located behind the organizers home. It was basically a rectangle course where we swam 200 yards out, rounded a buoy, swam 300 yards back, rounded a buoy, and swam back to the start.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:27:30 | 10.4 miles | 22.69 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This was a loop course with a big gradual hill at about the 2 mile mark. I have rode this hill a number of times with training and knew what to expect.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:40 | 02.1 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back through the neighborhood.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes