Sun Sport Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 25m 6s
Overall Rank = 427/595
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/55
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 430. Had breakfast, 2 waffles with peanut butter, wife got up also. Got to race site around 530.

Set up transition, checked tires.

My wife and son got to the race about 20 minutes before 7. This threw me off my timing a little, but it was great seeing them before. got kisses from both before I started.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching, and a 10 minute jog. Was only able to get a few swim strokes in as the race was about to start.
Swim
  • 42m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

We swam right into the wind and chop. It was tough starting out. i was swimming about the same speed as everyone else and couldn't get clear water, and a rythym going.

As the wave spread out I rounded the first turn buoy and found clear water. Wind was pushing us to shore, and it took me a couple of minutes to realize this.

hit the second turn buoy headed to shore, good rythym good breathing.

Got out of the water, saw tammy and Myles, ran to my T1 spot. Good swim. Thought i did worse compared to pace, but was right there. Could have gone a bit faster heading towards shore, but very satisfied with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

other than pee before the swim instead of waiting for the swim, nothing. Water was pretty rough, and I thought I did a good job.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Very surprised at the time. This sure felt longer. Not a great transition. Although, i was chatting with my wife while trying to get the suit off of my heels. My spot was right at the end, and she found me straight away.

helmet on, shoes on. Need to change the way I put my bike on the rack. When I pulled my bike out, my water bottles got caught on the rack, and did something to my rear water bottle holder.

ran out to the bike out, and the mount line. was behind 3 people. two to my left and one to my right. the two on the outside got to the mount line and stopped and got on, the one to my immediate right went right passed them and stopped. with no room in front I went to the left, right next to the railing that divided bike in/out. I hopped on and went to clip in. i veered to the left, and my handlebar and hand clipped the raililng. Got a cut on my hand, and dinged my handlebar pretty good.

Uh, pay attention and focus when clipping in. Should have gone further ahead to clip in.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 28s
  • 58 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off slow, as i was trying to determine whether i should turn around and get my hand tended to. Bleeding pretty bad, but as it turned out just a scrape.

I struggled with some of the hills, but overall kept a good pace. It may have been too fast, as my I blew up on the run. Did good turning corners even with some of the crosswinds on the causeways.

Not sure. Need to go to Spark to get my bike fitted again. Aero position is still a bit too aggressive. I had some hip issues starting on the run.

NEED TO WORK ON HILLS. This is the part that kills me every time. I fly past people on the downhill only to be passed by those very same people going uphill. Someone I was trading places with asked me on the run if I biked with power, he said I was very consistent so thought that I did. I don't, so that's encouraging.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. had an issue re-racking my bike, but overall good.

run to transition instead of walk, especially in bare feet.
Run
  • 2h 31m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Awful run.The first couple of miles, i was running at about a 7:18 clip. Maybe I should have slowed down some at first. But I completely blew up around mile 6. Had to walk up most of the hills, and i stopped at almost every aid station getting water, coke or orange. Tried the heed once, but spat it right out.

Not sure if this was due to pushing too hard on the bike, or not running enough. Probably not running enough, and started out too fast. My legs were rubbery at mile 8/9.

Also might have been pyschological. The run was VERY mind numbing. It would have been a much better run if they made it a two looper.
Post race
Warm down:

could barely stand, so sat down on a chair in the finish area, and talked to my wife while i ate oranges and drank water.

got my hand cleaned up, and did some stretching. post race food was pretty good, better than most. Although, by the time I finished there were no burgers but meat lasanga? yumm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough run training. Not enough hill training on the bike.

Event comments:

Run was very hilly compared to the bike. Good race, although, in an email sent out prior they stated prices for food for spectators, and then at the race, they changed the price.

Last updated: 2011-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:24 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 348/595
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: A rectangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
03:06:28 | 58 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Overall: 364/595
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: a 2 loop course. lots of twists and turns. good technical course. A couple of dangerous right turns, but the whole course kept you focused.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:31:05 | 13.1 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 0/595
Performance: Bad
Course: a one loop course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-17 4:58 PM

New user

Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2012-06-18 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4265833

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon

yup, bike mount was tight again, and i would love an out and back run versus that big long loop in the country side.

Congrats on the finish!!

2012-06-18 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4265833

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon

Nice job Paul!

There was a lot of congestion at the mount line.  Bummer about the hand, but it sounds like it could have been much worse.

You should be very encouraged by someone asking you if you were riding with a power meter.  It sounds like you've got a pretty nice power meter working inside of you!

It sounds like you did go out a bit hard on the run.  Next time I'd recommend taking it out a bit easier and picking it up after a couple miles if you're body is up for it.

Nonetheless, great job!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed