Arbor Schools'
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15, had coffee, toast with almond butter and apricot preserves. Drank lots to hydrate. Arrived at race site 5:50 - just as the transition area was opening. I love getting to races early so I can have a good spot in transition and otherwise feel relaxed about getting ready to race.
Event warmup:

Well, I did a good job of hydration because I spent a lot of time in line for the bathroom! My only complaint about the race was lack of restroom facilities; they could have used more port-a-potties. Aside from waiting in restroom lines, I took a quick spin around on my bike.
Swim
  • 15m 58s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I consider the swim a strength and was telling my husband before the race that the distance was only half of what I swam in my race last year. He joked that since I'm generally a good swimmer, maybe I should do the swim distance twice. This turn out to be prophetic! I have no idea what happened, but I got very disoriented, directionally, at the last buoy. I went the wrong direction and then I could not figure out the right way to go! So, I spent some very productive time essentially swimming in a circle, until the wave behind me came though and I swam in with that wave. My poor husband on the shore was worried when he didn't see me come in with the other "orange caps" in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I'll be spending some time working on sighting before my next race!
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Very nice quick transition. I was not going to let my swim goof-up ruin my focus.
Bike
  • 56m 42s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 15.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I'm still not speedy on the bike, but this was a big improvement for me over last year. It was my first race with a real road bike, clipless pedals, and racing along car traffic. As a beginning cycler I just wanted to feel comfortable and confident on the course with my bike, gear properly, and maintain a nice 85-90 cadence. Mission accomplished!

Still need to work on getting more drinking in on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Very nice transition for me!

Nothing.
Run
  • 38m 42s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The cross-country course was challenging for me. I am very protective of my joints and tendons so I ran slowly and carefully - I did not want to turn an ankle or twist a knee. I don't run trails anymore so I am just not adapted to this type of running. I felt really great on the pavement sections though. I was actually surprised my overall pace wasn't slower given how cautious I was.

Really, not much. I could have probably pushed a bit more at the end, but I'll save that for my next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Just did some walking around, followed by my stretching routine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Aside from goofing up on the swim, I was happy with my performance here. This is my first race of the season, and I really saw it as a "just get out there" kind of race.

Event comments:

This is only my second race, so I'm not sure how qualified I am to rate it. My only gripe was the lack of restroom facilities and resulting long lines. People in line were getting nervous that they were going to miss their wave start (I was in the last women's wave so it was not a problem for me). I would have liked a second drink station on the run, but that's because I'm still not so great and drinking and riding. The volunteers were very friendly.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:58 | 440 yards | 03m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Ironman Instinct Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:42 | 14.5 miles | 15.34 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Nice route along Lake Sammamish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:42 | 03.5 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Yikes - mostly cross-country. It was soft/muddy in parts due to recent rains.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Issaquah Triathalon

2006-06-04 9:17 PM
in reply to: #442565

New user

WA
Subject: RE: Issaquah Triathalon
I was glad I was in the first swim wave, I didn't have to stand in line for the potty ;-). Congrats, it was a nice race with nice weather.
2006-06-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: #442565

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: RE: Issaquah Triathalon
Great race! I am joining up with a group on Thursdays at 6pm at Madison Park beach for open water swims. You are more than welcome to join us. When is your next race? Seafair?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Issaquah Triathalon Rss Feed