United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 30m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We were originally going to do the 100 mile race, but when we realized that a) that seemed far and b) more importantly, we could sleep two more hours if we did the 70, we switched. Got up at 5:15, took the train to Penn Station. We had dropped our bikes off the day before, so we met up with our group, incuding M, V, M's friend C and J, got some coffee and a doughnut and got on the train. About an hour's ride to Mastic-Shirley, some air in the tires, and we were on our way!
Bike
  • 5h 30m 20s
  • 73 miles
  • 13.26 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great ride - perfect temperature and weather, well marked, safe course, and great scenery. K&I sped off pretty quickly, making it to the first rest stop about 12 mins before the other. Those first fifteen miles felt really easy. Ate some berries, a PB&J, and oreo, some gatorade and some hummus on bread there.

The next 25 miles got a little tougher. E came along with us for this section. There were about 5 miles along dune road with a killer headwind, which K and I did a mini-peloton for. Made it to the second rest stop feeling like I was hurting a little, but still OK. Another PB&J there was probably a mistake, as I started feeling a little off there. Had pie too, which was fantastic, and refilled water. Managed to work a bit to get to 56 miles in just under 4 hours (3:59:30), and then thought about what it would be like to run a half-marathon after that. Not that I got off my bike and tried it - but I thought about it.

With about 20 miles to go, K started feeling off. We now think her nutrition was wrong - she needed more calories that she could process faster, but at the time, she just felt like she couldn't get any power. We made it through to the town of Montauk, stopping at one unplanned rest stop along the way. Once through the town, the rolling hills started. After 68 miles of riding, these were not welcome, particularly as our hotel for the night was back in town and all I kept thinking was - I'm going to have to go back up this hill. Slowed down a lot up and down those hills, but finally, we all made it to the end!

What would you do differently?:

Figure out better nutrition for the ride.
Post race
Warm down:

We figured out that there were shuttles back to town, so we quickly dropped the bikes and headed for beer. And hot dogs. And hamburgers. And beer. The finish fest was great - lots of food and drinks. Found everyone else, some of whom ended up dropping out and getting rides to the finish, but seemed like everyone had decent days. Got to our hotel, and realized that it had a hot tub, so spent some time in there. All in all, a great day.

Last updated: 2012-04-29 12:00 AM
Biking
05:30:20 | 73 miles | 13.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat, with some small hills until the last 6-7 miles, then some good rollers.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-17 7:16 PM

Regular
Subject: Ride to Montauk - 73 Miles

2012-06-18 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4265976

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ride to Montauk - 73 Miles
Sorta wish I went the shorter route - was a smooth 50+ miles until Dune Road - that gave me a proper beating.
2012-06-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4265976

User image

Regular
Kansas City
Subject: RE: Ride to Montauk - 73 Miles

Awesome read, and ride!

I grew up in Mastic Beach (same train station) and have driven along Montauk Hwy to the Mtk Point many times.  Quite a few nice small towns to roll through once you get east of the Hamptons.  I was able to picture your entire route.  Thanks for the memory lane!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ride to Montauk - 73 Miles Rss Feed