General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did anyone do the Relay Around Columbus? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-18 8:50 AM

Central Ohio
Subject: Did anyone do the Relay Around Columbus?

Did any of you do the Relay Around Columbus this past weekend?  If so, what did you think?

I participated, and had a good time.  I think for a first-time event, with a ton of logistical issues to work out, they did a really good job.  I hope it returns for next year!

2012-06-18 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4266622

Subject: RE: Did anyone do the Relay Around Columbus?
Didn't do this one, but did do another first time event - The Gauntlet. Also had a great time in this event and hope they bring it back next year. The last mile or so at the end while carrying bricks was brutal.
2012-06-18 6:47 PM

Lewis Center, Ohio

I volunteered for bike patrol on Leg 2.  I found out about the event too late to participate, but I'd like to put a team together for next year.  Glad to hear it was well run overall.

Can you tell me a little about the security/safety issues?  My wife is on the fence about this event because of some of the areas the course goes through.  For instance, my folks are down on the east side and say the path between Main St. and Livingston in Bexley has had some incidents even during daylight hours.  I'm curious to hear what actual participants thought.

Thanks!

2012-06-19 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4268080

Central Ohio

Personally, I thought the course was safe.  I thought the race organizers did a reasonable job of making it safe.  The number of volunteers was adequate, the signage was good, and they had made arrangements for MetroParks Rangers to be on-duty.  I saw Rangers on the Blacklick Trail, Alum Creek Trail, and Olentangy Trail.  They aren't everywhere, but they are there.... With all that being said, participants have to understand what a long-distance relay event is like...you will be running in the dark, and the course is an "open" course.  At other relay events, you do all your running alongside roads, sometimes state routes with lots of traffic, at night.  So, there are always some dangers.  But, I thought it was a safe event.  My wife ran on a separate (all girls) team.  I wasn't thrilled with her doing leg #5 (running from the Airport area down to Bexley) in the dark, but she was fine.

My guess it that if they have the event next year, they'll beef up "security" in any areas that they think might be a little shaky, but I felt it was a safe event as it was.

2012-06-20 8:16 AM

User image

Just 5 minutes past Diary Queen

My sister and her husband did it and had a good time although they said it was very low-scale compared to other relays they've done and in some respect even to some of the local 5k's and 10k's in Columbus. They expected a much bigger celebration at the finish line as advertised. Also, another criticism of theirs as was mine when I emailed the race director last month was that it was very over-priced for what really amounted to a long trail run with little support.  The jury is still out if they will do it again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did anyone do the Relay Around Columbus? Rss Feed