Sun Sport Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 47m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Night before I intended to pick up my packet and meet up with some fellow BTers for dinner. Got a call saying that my daughter had a fever which put the kabosh on that. My husband took her to the ER and I stayed home with my son and tried to get to bed at a decent hr. Too worried. Lots of phone calls back and forth and my son was wired. oh well.

Up at 3:45am. I had everything packed up laid out so all I needed to do was fill my waterbottles and heat my breakfast. Out the door a little later than hoped (4:15am) but got down to the site in about an hr. Took my time with the necessities and got to chat a bit with Mike_D and gcoller. Helped ease my nerves a bit.
Event warmup:

Got in a short swim. I felt good. Water temp was really nice but the water was dark. Really dark. Ominous in a way. Had a gu roctane 20 min before the start.
Swim
  • 47m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Despite being poorly trained for the swim and having zero OWS so far in 2012, I went into this feeling good. I was just going to focus on being consistent and smooth. The first 1/4 mi went well. I seeded myself to the outside so I didn't get a ton of contact but the chop got to me. 1/2 to the first turn bouy I developed a pain right under my diaphragm. Felt like I needed to burp. Tried to relieve myself, couldn't, tried to keep going. The pain turned to seering, even started dry-heaving. First time ever in OW that I was worried for myself and doubted my ability to complete the leg. I had to stop for a while and kept trying to burp with no success. Finally, at first turn bouy I found relief. Oh my, that might have been heard on shore. The rest of the swim was uneventful but the damage was done.
What would you do differently?:

way more OWS.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Still a bit burpie but the suit came off easy. I did forget to put my bento box on my bike and my shirt pockets were way to small for my solids so I had to stuff my bra with them. Just glad I didn't forget them but I bet that will make for some funny looking photos.

Nothing stands out.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good to get on the bike. Held off til mi 7 or so on the water to let my tummy settle. Had water between the aero bars and 5 gu roctane in my downtube bottle with some solids stuffed in my bra. Planned on drinking water to thirst, couple sips of gu every 7 miles, and some solids every 45-50 min. This worked well for my tummy but the gu tasted awful after a while. I'm hoping it's just my flavor choice (cherry-lime).

Wind was ROUGH in a few sections. Made me very thankful most of the course was protected.

About 2 hrs in I developed a side stitch. Very weird. In all my years of cycling I've never had a side stitch from biking before. Went through the check list; legs feel good, HR good, water consumption could have been better but I did feel the need to pee so I think I'm good. Took my effort down a notch to get rid of it.

Really happy with how I felt just in terms of comfort level. I rode in aero for the majority with little argument from my shoulders and my semi new saddle (selle smp pro) felt good.

Side note: Tried peeing on the bike. Not a fan of how it makes the ladyland feel. While I had no issues develop because of it, I'll probably opt out for IMWI.

Execution wise I did well with my current fitness. Looking back I probably backed off a bit too much because of the side stitch.
Transition 2
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

1. As I started running I realized my toes were numb. Hmm. Never noticed anything on the bike. Ended up walking some to wiggle my toes.
2. Wow, talk about a super long run with the bike.
3. Got to my spot and noticed the woman next to me came to the rack on the wrong side. She trashed my stuff racking her bike. Grrr. Completely disoriented and took me a while to find what I needed.

Think about different shoes? and of course, get faster so I'm racked before everyone else. ha!
Run
  • 2h 36m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was to run to each aid station and walk while taking in fluids. I did well following this plan (even if my run was just a shuffle) for the duration with the exception of walking a few "hills". First two aid stations I found out that the heed wouldn't take and pretzels were a definite no-no. By the third/fourth aid station I found that rotating between coke + ice and water + ice, + orange worked well for me.

First six miles went well. Not fast but consistent pacing. During the seventh mile my legs just started going slower. I tried every trick I could think of to try to get my legs back to the same pace. Nothing worked. Mile ten, hamstring cramp and my run became more of a shuffle. My right hammy has given me some trouble in the past. I need to be better with stretching.

Long loop to the finish once we turned into Cathedral Camp over some rough unpaved terrain. Was telling myself not to break my ankle this close to the finish.

I will admit that in the last three miles I thought long and hard about not racing IMMoo. Such a difficult time in my life right now. I absolutely know I'd be in a dark place without triathlon and this may turn out to be the only time I can do IM in for the forseeable future but I really doubted myself those last miles. Is 83 days enough?

Despite missing some run workouts, I am doubting that even just fitting those in is enough for me. Also, even with all the changes I've made, the weight loss isn't enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat for a couple minutes, grabbed a muscle milk, and headed over to get food. I'm typically famished after races so I wanted to grab food before getting comfy. Funny thing was, I wasn't hungry. I picked at the food and just sat there singing along with the band. Not sure what that tells me. Did I just do a good job of fueling myself during the race and I'm typically really bad at it? I do wish I had seen those ice baths.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

um, fitness. ha!

Event comments:

Loved this race. Everything from the communication from the RD, the location, the volunteers, the post-race party. Loved every minute. Only negative... no beer! I will definitely do this one again.

Last updated: 2011-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:56 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: xterra full sleeve
Course: out 1/2 mi, left turn, 0.2 over, left turn back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:18:14 | 56 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two 28 mile loops, mostly flat with some "rolling hills".
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:36:16 | 13.1 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: One loop with gentle terrain changes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-18 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2012-06-18 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4266828

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
Christina, you are one tough cookie.  You had some unexpected obstacles and you overcame them all.  The worry about a sick child and the lack of good rest before the race is more than I could handle.  You are my hero!
2012-06-18 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

i had sooo much beer, i actually brought some home, i woulda totally shared!!! ice cold in a cooler at the race!!

Great job, sounds like a tough night prior to the race!!

2012-06-18 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Christina--way to remain tough and not let those demom voices get in your way.  With proper training, 83 days i s enough!  It's a LOOOOOOOONG time or so I tell myself   I've had similar issues with burping and other "things" as a result of swallowing air and/or water on the swim.  Something to practice this summer.  And by the way, I use your same relief techniques in the water, but NEVER on the bike.
2012-06-18 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Great job, Christina! It must have been really hard to stay mentally in the race. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy it.
2012-06-19 1:52 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
no beer?  f that!   awesome job!  thats gotta suck having to burp and can't out there, way to hang in there.

2012-06-19 2:43 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Super proud of you, Christina!  Way to stay tough and adjust when things could've gone south.  You are a smart racer and the experience from this race will serve you well in 83 days!  MOO! 
2012-06-19 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Great job, Christina!! I can imagine it's downright scary having that pain during the swim and not being able to fix it. Way to endure. And you totally hung in there and worked through EVERYTHING! Well done!!! FWIW, I've peed on the bike in an HIM, but it was raining so very easy to "flush." I opted not to bike-pee for IMs -- it's such a long day, I don't want to go through it feeling pee-soaked, ha!! You have lots of time before Moo. Just remember one mile at a time... You can do it!! Chin up! You are awesome!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!
2012-06-19 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Great job battling through some really tough issues.  This experience is one more thing you can draw on to help you through your IM. 
2012-06-19 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Fantastic job, Christina! You've had some really tough obstacles to overcome lately, both in the race and in life, but you have continued moving forward. That is true strength. 83 days is plenty long enough. I'm sure you will hit some dark times at Moo too, but you'll keep moving forward, and in the end it will all be so completely worth it. You are amazing! I can't wait to watch you cross that finish line and hear all about it!
2012-06-19 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Way to hang tough Christina.  I tried doing a gel pre-swim on my first Oly and ended up with gas problems.   On all my other races, I just sip diluted sports drink pre-swim.  By the way, you do need at least 9-10 ounces of water at the same time to get the gel to digest.

2012-06-19 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Awesome job out there, Christina! The swim belly issues sounded awful, but way to fight through. 83 days of awesomeness ahead, then go give 'em he11 at IMMoo!
2012-06-19 7:38 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job out there.  83 days is totally enough I love the patriot course too.
2012-06-19 11:06 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Loved the rr, Christina - and I'm totally impressed with your race.  there's no way to plan for anything/everything that can happen before and during a race - even more so when you're a mom.  Fighting through it - and especially through the inevitable dark moments - is what makes it a race.  GREAT JOB.

83 days are PLENTY.

2012-07-02 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
It was great to see you there,Christina! You are awesome and I'm sure you'll KILL the IM! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed