General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Appling, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
80'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 2s
Overall Rank = 147/262
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/15
Pre-race routine:

Up 3 hrs before race. Had a protein shake and a vitamin water. To race and set up transition area. Walked down to swim start for 5 min quiet time. Visualized transitions. Tried to settle my nerves before my first tri ever.
Event warmup:

Walked and jogged a bit. ~10 min strretching.
Swim
  • 15m 19s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

First racing OW swim. The crowd, excitement, and my nerves really affected my stroke. I was short and choppy, and breathing every other. I also used kicked more than usual than in my training. Didn't really notice until 2/3 way through the race. Tried to lengthen my stroke, pull hard, roll, glide, and breath bilaterally the last 100m. Technique really is important. OK for my first race, but I really would like to improve. Expected to have a much better time, as I easily swim 1:45/100 in all my practices. Still, I hopefully learned something which was my primary objective for this race.
What would you do differently?:

Stay calm and focus on my swimming technique. Avoid getting caught up in the event. Hopefully will go much better next time around. Also, more interval work to build speed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Actually went very well for my first ever. Mental rehersal helped a lot. Need to practice jumping on the bike and getting up to speed better before getting into shoes. Putting on socks is what slowed me the most.

May try to learn to ride without socks, at least in sprints. Experience will help everything else.
Bike
  • 36m 17s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

First bike race ever. I like the bike. Before starting triathlon training I had never really ridden a bike except for fun. I had a blast! I was very nervous before the race after seeing all the upscale triathlon bikes, but me and my entry level Trek did OK. Of course I was passed by a fair number of people, but I also passed(and re-passed) a few. It was fun to "reel in" the next rider in front of me. Especially on the hills, where I would downshift and spin up the hill, passing someone standing and mashing pedals. I had to coast a couple of times due to riders blocking me, but managed to get around them eventually. I also enjoyed getting up to 30+ mph on the downhills. I'm a long way from good/fast on the bike, but I hope to continue to improve.

Nothing really, except train more to build my base and increase my strength/speed. Oh, also need to learn to drink better while on the bike. I took in less than 8 oz of the 20 in my aerobottle. BTW I love my aerobottle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Took my right foot out way too early, realized my mistake and kept my left foot in, albeit loose. Then, next thing you know I'm at the dismount line with one foot in and the other on top. Had to stop to safely dismount, and in the process dropped my left shoe. Picked it up and managed to jog on in and get my bike racked. Helmet off quickly. Slow into running shoes due to wet feet/socks. Grabbed hat and number belt and got them on as I exited for the run.

Know the course better, so I would better know when to prep for transition. May or may not try going sockless.
Run
  • 28m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh! Hills. I hate hills. I live in flatland. We have heat and gnats, but few hills. I started out pretty comfortable despite pushing a little harder on the bike than I intended. Right away we're going up hill. Finally a short steep downhill to a gully, then up a short but very steep hill (I've seen stairs less steep) back up to the road. I actually walked two steps on that hill before I made myself start running again. I had a short lived cramp in my right side, probably from the cold cup of water I took in at the beginning. The remainder of the run was hearing people come up behind me, and then watching them run around me and away. I tried to just keep an even steady pace, and overall my speed was very good for me, faster than any of my training runs to date. I just need more than 11 weeks to build my base and increase my speed. Nonetheless, HR training does work. Oh, and my knee bothered me not at all before, during, or after the run.

Nothing except maybe push a bit harder. My avg HR was the same as on the bike, so apparently I had a bit of reserve held back. Oh, and find some hills to train on.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked 10-15 min and stretched. 2 bottles of water, 1 banana, 1/2 bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience, and only a short time (11 wks) in training. As long as I keep at it improvement should come.

Event comments:

(Admittedly, my first race.) Excellent race. Well organized. The volunteers were very encouraging, and that was a tremendous boost whenever I was struggling a bit. The particicpants were competitive, but friendly. Except for the hills on the run, the course was great.

Last updated: 2006-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:19 | 656 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 0/262
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 154
Suit: Tri top and shorts.
Course: Arc around penninsula. All buoys were passed to swimmer's right. Fresh water and calm.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:17 | 11.6 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/15
Performance:
Avg HR 162.
Wind: None
Course: To me, from SW Georgia: moderate hills. Others will probably disagree. Y shaped course with 2 turnarounds.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: >90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:11 | 03.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/15
Performance: Average
Avg HR 162
Course: Part trail and part roads. Shaded, but hilly.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park

2006-06-04 7:12 PM
in reply to: #442669

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park
Great job on your first tri!  I agree with you- other than the murky lake and the killer hills, the race was great! 
2006-06-04 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA

Awesome job.  You did really well on the transition times and I'm glad your run was a strong one for the race (especially for a flat lander ).  You're right about the swim, I know you can and will improve there.  Lots to look forward to for the next one.  See you at another tri!

2006-06-04 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Excellent first race....congrats...
2006-06-05 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Great first race! You really burned it up on the bike!

The best part is that you already have a strong time, and it'll only get faster in the future!

Good job!
2006-06-05 8:25 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Nice race Darrel!  That's a tough run course.  If it makes you feel better, I walked the steep muddy hills last year   It was nice meeting you and I hpoe to see you at more races this summer!  Congrats on finishing your first tri!  You did great!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed