General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oregon, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
85F / 29C
Total Time = 1h 24m 32s
Overall Rank = 68/163
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Pre-race routine:

Had to wake up early early in the morning to each race site! Was up and moving at 3:45am, picked up Austin and headed to the race. Once at Maumee bay got race packet and set up transition

Note: this sprint is the 2nd year I have finished this race! Last year Maumee bay was my 1st triathlon ever! To keep everything in perspective, here are my times from last year!

Swim: 23:42. Bike: 48:15. Run: 29:47. Total: 1:46:47
Event warmup:

1/2 mile run with some strides mixed in, swam roughly 100 yds to get the arms loosened up
Swim
  • 17m 17s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall swim went as well as expected. I was happy to hear it was wet suit legal. My confidence just isnt there yet for the swim and I need that crutch. started off good, felt like I was moving at a solid pace until I started to run into other swimmers. This wasn;t because I was going to slow, but because I was catching up with the other swimmers. This threw me off and because of my lack of confidence I actually slowed up to keep from running into anyone else. Around 300yds I was able to get into open water and get into a solid stroke pattern. I found my sight line and just kept going.
I probably had the best navigation to date in this race. I was able to mostly go straight and towards my target. There were a few times I drifted out to the right but not as bad as I have in the past. Even though I went in the general direction, I still have a lot of work to do in the sighting game! I found a large target early on, but it still feels like I expend a lot of energy to figure out what direction I need to go!
After the 2nd turn I was finally able to get into a decent rythm and did not have to worry about my breathing. Made a pretty strong push for the beach, this was also the time when my direction was off the most. It seems the harder I swim, the farther to the right I go.
What would you do differently?:

Be confident in my ability and not slow down when I run into other swimmers. Instead of slowing up, I need to learn to go threw them, but I was just in shock that I was swimming with other competitors.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Came into transition and was surprised to see so many bikes still sitting there! Normally I am last into the transition.
No major issues, wet suit was somewhat stuck on the heels, but still not major! Went quickly, in the past I spent time drying my feet before putting on socks but this time I just did a quick wipe and on I went!

Not much,
Bike
  • 39m 17s
  • 14.29 miles
  • 21.83 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt great! I came out of transition and immediately went to the "big Daddy" gear. I knew this course was flat and I didn't want to waste anytime in the easy gears. The 1st mile or so of the course was in the park and during this short time I probably passed 10 riders. Thats what they get for being fast swimmers :).
One thing I did pre-race was check the weather and find out the wind direction. Since this course is completely flat and just off of the lake I wanted to get an idea of when to push and when to hold back some. The wind was coming out of the southwest, wasn't a real strong wind but enough to let you know it was there. After turning west out of the park I definitely felt the wind pick up, dropped down a few gears and maintained a 20mph pace. The 1st turn took me north and this was the 1st chance to see what I had in the tank. I was able to get up over 23mph and started to pass several more riders. 2nd and 3rd turns took me back into the wind and this was the longest section (and last) into the wind. Kept a steady effort but also made sure I didnt push too hard to where I would lose out. DUring this time I passed several more riders and even came up to a larger group riding together. I was a little irritated by this since it was a group of 15 riders all riding in a tight group, not single file but still right up on each other in a sort of triangle formation. I'm sure they were able to draft in this and save a lot of energy. I was unable to keep up or pass this group.
On the next turn all the wind was at my back and it was go time. Able to get up to 21mph and then over 22mph for the last 4 out 5 miles.

Not much, I had a plan and stuck with it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

No problems, racked bike dropped helmet and away I went.
Run
  • 24m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of transition and legs felt heavy but decent. Found a pace that was hard but not over the top. Checked my HR a couple of times and noticed that it was running high. Because of this when I got into mile 2 I started to pull back a little. My thought was I didn't want to blow up, but in hindsight I probably should have pushed through and found out if I had a little more!! Around mile 2.5 was the most difficult, legs started to get a little grumpy and not wanting to do what was asked of them. Pace after this stayed around 8m

I need to learn how to push a little more and overcome some of the mental denial on the run. I think I could of possibly knocked at least a minute off the time but I kept holding back trying not to blow-up!
Post race
Warm down:

Pb & j and some walking enjoyed the atmosphere!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, I believe this was the 1st race where I felt like I actually was in competition and not just participating in the race! Coming into each TA feeling like I was ahead of several people and not into an empty TA was a great feeling!

Last updated: 2012-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:17 | 820 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/20
Overall: 114/163
Performance: Average
Suit: AquaSphere
Course: 850 yards, large rectangle located in small inland Lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:32
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:17 | 14.29 miles | 21.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 51/163
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Large rectangle course that is completely flat
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:37 | 03.11 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 73/163
Course: out and back around lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-18 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-06-18 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4268006

User image

Subject: RE: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Course
GREAT race, Matt! I'm so happy for you and your killer time compared to last year! Wow!

I'm still bummed I didn't get to meet you. I embarrassed myself several times asking guys if they were Matt Ambos. I think I saw your bike in transition but you weren't around when I was there. It just wasn't meant to happen.

Doesn't this kind of improvement make you want to even train harder? Enjoy your complete domination of the couse for a day or two then get back out there. Congratulations to you!
2012-06-18 7:21 PM

User image

NH
Spectacular race Matt.  Unreal pace on the bike.  Don't listen to Brenda - enjoy this one the rest of the summer, no need to train anymore for your half!    JK, you're gonna make this a tough competition.
2012-06-19 4:50 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Incredible race Matt!! 

You seem to be getting very fast in a short period of time.  All the time on the run over the winter and the great gift of your bike have really made a tremendous difference in your capabilities and effort.

Your swim may be what you may call your weakest spot and maybe needs more work, but knocking off that kind of time shows real, significant improvement. 

I am really impressed by your run too.  Last year you struggled so much with pacing that you would  have to really slow down or walk some, if I remember correctly, and this year you knock down a sub 25 minute 5k.  Training and focus have proven a friend to you for certain.

Keep working on the mental game of racing.  Sometimes that can be our worst enemy.  I am not the best at the mental game either but staying focused on the "prize" at the end is what drives me to push hard when my mind suggests that I slow down to be safe.  BTW, the prize isn't a medal or trophy for me.  It's a knowing I just smashed my previous PR.

2012-06-19 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt congrats again on pretty awesome race. The improvement in your times is very impressive and goes to show you that all the hard work you have put in since last season is paying off. Keeping working hard you are only going to continue to improve.
2012-06-19 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4268648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Thanks everyone!

Brenda I didn't have the nerve to embarass myself.  But I thought I seen you on the beach at the start.  Where you watching the start of the Sprint?  Its just so hard to recognize someone from the little photos in our profile.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed