United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 50s
Overall Rank = 12/NA
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/NA
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15am, showered, ate my normal oatmeal and organic granola and drank a cup of green tea 2 hours before the start of the race. I got my Cytomax and water from the fridge, finished getting dressed, and I was off. The family was meeting me there so I headed out to relax for a while. As I drove, I sipped on my flattened sugar free Red Bull and water and listened to some non-relaxing music.
Event warmup:

I got checked in and reviewed the change of course. This race was changed from a tri to a run/bike to a standard du over a 36 hour period (seriously). More on that later. I saw BTer Tom Plauche and chatted about tris and his family while setting up in transition. Granted, the transition area was not only first come first serve but there were no bike racks. Tom found a tree and I sat up my gear across the street from him on the ground. I am glad I brought 2 towels as the ground was wet from the rain the night before. Tom and I ran about a mile to warm up and stopped at the mens room for a bathroom break. I walked back and stretched. The family showed up as I was finishing my warm up so we chatted for a while. I pointed to two shirtless guys about 50 feet away and said to my family "the tall one will win and the younger shorter one will finish second".
Run
  • 14m 20s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I had been nursing the knee since St. Anthony's and had no real significant run training in 6 weeks. My knee pain has been very bad and I probably should not have raced. I had maybe a 25 minute run as my "long run" and no speed work. I had no idea what to expect. Again, I was pleased we were able to run on the soft dirt or gravel for most of the run as it saved my knee.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. My pace was good and I let the "studs" take off without trying to catch them.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

There were no timing chips and I did not catch the split on my watch put it could have even been under 30 seconds. I was set up right next to the road and had no one to worry about in front of me. For some reason I decided to take one run shoe off, but one cycling shoe on, and then do the same for the other. Why?! I never did this in training! My sunglasses were fogged up so I literally had to "guess" where my seat was and did a "blind" flying mount. It is not recommended as I almost ran off the road. I got up clipped in, up to speed quickly, and was off.

Take off both running shoes then put on both cycling shoes.
Bike
  • 29m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.50 mile/hr
Comments:

We started out of transition down a hill but once we hit the entrance to the park, it was up ALL hill. We had to climb for about a half mile before it started to flatten out. Once we hit the turn around, I knew I could fly as the hill would help me pick up some speed. The bad part was trying to slam on the breaks at the bottom of the hill so I could make the turn around. The road was wet and I was going about 36 mph down the hill so I barely made it! I am glad I did some hill work.

Not much. Maybe hammer a little more on the hills but it would not have impacted my final position in this race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

I am again guessing on my T-2 time as I did not pick up the split on my watch. I was too frustrated with my dismount. I can usually get out of my shoes and prepared for a flying dismount in 6-8 seconds but my right shoe slipped and I missed getting my foot on top. We just finished climbing a hill and transition was literally right there. My left shoe was ok. I dropped of the bike (found out later I snapped my bottle cage), dropped the helmet, put my running shoes on, and I was off.

Focus more on getting my feet out of shoes instead of the run ahead of me.
Run
  • 24m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pleased with this 5k and cannot really complain. I could have pushed a little harder towards the end as I left just a little in the tank. A big "no, no".

Push the last mile harder. I was passed by two guys with about 0.5 miles to go. We did not have our ages on our calves so I could not tell if they were in my age group. One looked like he was and I hoped the other was not as I had no idea who was in 6-9 place overall, much less my AG. More on that.....
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched then looked for Tom to finish. We got a few pics and he was off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training. I had not really run in 6 weeks and my right knee was in pain. I did the best I could.

Event comments:

As stated previously, the race changed from a tri to bike/run to du in 2 days. The water levels were low so we could not swim. Some participants had not idea it was a du until 30 mins before the race and were not happy (like me). My knee was going to hate me for running over 5 miles but I had to do it. Originally, the tri was going to have 2 different transition areas so I was thankful for the one T area that day.

The two guys I said would finish 1st and 2nd did just that. The tall one tris for his college and the second place guy is a local high school cross country/track stud.

Re the 2 guys that passed me with about a half mile to go...yep, one was in my AG and won it! DOH! I made up some time but I finished about 10 seconds behind him. This sport is one of seconds and it really hit me when he and I compared times. I was off the bike faster but he ran me down.....arg! (It was his first race and I congratulated him) When my knee gets better I will work my run speed, especially that last kick. I hear of tri-geeks who work on that but thought I would never need it. I did.

Overall, I am glad I did this and feel good with my 2nd place AG placing and 12th overall.

Last updated: 2006-06-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:20 | 02 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/NA
Overall: 14/NA
Performance: Good
Course: We had a mass start on the asphalt, went up a hill and turned off the trail to a gravel path, and turned up another hill to a wooded trail. I was thankful for the dirt path as my knee has been really bothering me over the last 6 weeks. It was an out and back so I could pace myself after the first mile. I was at 7:12 after mile one and a little suprised as well as ahead of pace!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:30
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:29:16 | 10 miles | 20.50 mile/hr
Overall: 7/NA
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course. Exit transition down the hill, exit the park to the left, and start the uphill portion immediately. I was looking forward to the downhill on the way back.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:10 | 03.1 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 12/NA
Performance: Good
Course: The course was the same except we had to do a loop beyond the 1 mile marker through the woods. I enjoyed this as I was alone for most of it and liked the damp grassy/dirt path. I was better on the knees. However, we had one downhill and uphill I am paying for still with this knee.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 7:22 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Sweetwater Tri (Du)

2006-06-04 11:54 PM
in reply to: #442750

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: RE: Sweetwater Tri (Du)
Kick *** bud!! Now, nurse that damn knees of yours!! Congrats!
2006-06-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: #442940

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Sweetwater Tri (Du)
Thanks and I am starting PT on it next week so we will see...

Tony
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sweetwater Tri (Du) Rss Feed