General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 21m 13s
Overall Rank = 260/362
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 36/45
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Green Bay on Friday night so we had a longer drive in the morning, about 30 minutes. Up at 4am, checked in to Transition by 4:45. Had a lot of time to mentally prepare, which is what I was hoping for. This was my first 1/2 IM.
Event warmup:

Dipped into the water in my wetsuit and got used to the water. No real swimming for me though, didn't need it.
Swim
  • 33m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think the overcast skies made the water a little more murky. It was also hard to spot the buoys because they were large pyramids for the first two lengths and then smaller "dodge ball" sized buoys on the last length. Aside from the choppy last length, I thought it was a great swim. Even better for my first one with a wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Put a little more into it, I really paced myself but ended up with a great split. The wetsuit had a lot to do with it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

I took my time because this was my first 1/2 IM. Wetsuit strippers helped get the suit off which was awesome. Got my foot stuck and was on video which made me laugh after the race. Made sure to throw my spare tube & CO2 into my shirt as well as a few extra bars/gels. JUST in case. Put socks on so I could be ready for the run.

Maybe no socks, have bike gear already taped/loaded on the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Took my time, didn't want to bonk during the ride and have nothing left. Was on my road bike, no aero bars. Just enjoyed the views, ate and drank when needed, and coasted into T2 with a smile.

AERO BARS. Possibly invest in a TT/Tri bike. For now, I'm going to keep plugging away on my aluminum Cannondale.
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Took my time A LOT here. Wanted to make sure I had iPod, more bars/gels, h2o belt w/race number, and my shoes on and tied right. I knew that the hill was the first obstacle out of transition so I wanted to make sure I was ready for it. Jogged out, ready to go.

No socks, zip laces on shoes, ziploc of nutrition to grab vs. handfuls out of my transition bag.
Run
  • 2h 29m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't ready for a trail run. I trained entirely on paved surfaces and there was about 500 yards of paved surface total on the run. 2 loops of the course. Very pretty, mostly shaded which was nice. Good amount of aid stations. Started pouring rain about 4 miles into the run (1st loop). iPod died along with headphones. Felt great to get soaked though. Plugged through getting muddy and being extra careful to watch my step on the now wet rocks & roots. Walked the aid stations and a few times for some extra rest. Only 1 pee break.

Train on some trails. I know it's better for your legs anyway. My pace was reflective of my attitude towards just finishing happy. Next time, I'll pick it up. Still beat my previous half-marathon time by 10 minutes. That was without a Swim & Bike before!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a beer with my lady and my parents and sat down to stretch. Ate some fruit, had a recovery drink that I had brought and took some pictures. Just enjoyed the fact that I just finished a 1/2 IM in 6:21 when I just wanted to be under 7:00!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing! I felt great and everything went well. No GI trouble, gear mishaps, nothing. I had a blast. Great first experience for a longer race.

Event comments:

I think there could have been more aid stations on the bike. I know it's Wisconsin but even in the Midwest it gets pretty hot out. I know other people were upset by the aid stations seeming understaffed. I personally had no problems with it.

Last updated: 2012-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/45
Overall: 0/362
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Triangle course. Long stretch before the first turn. Third length was very choppy. Sucking in a lot of water and waves on the last leg. I guess it was bad for a lot of people. I also heard the course was extended a little bit because of the water quality. It was also hard because they ran the Sprint course right after the last wave of the 1/2 IM so we were running into each other on the last length.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:30 | 56 miles | 17.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/45
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course started with a big hill climb that was a little tough coming right out of transition. Then we made our way out to some nice country roads with great views. Strong headwind on the first long straightaway. Then we made a left turn around the 20 mile mark and the headwind became a crosswind. I was on a road bike so I felt like I was getting passed by everyone. Definitely my weak spot in the race but I just wanted to finish with a smile on my face. Didn't push too hard.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:29:25 | 13.1 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/45
Course: Same hill out of transition as the ride. Trail course. Rocky, wet, climbs, roots, etc. Wasn't really ready for that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-18 10:35 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed