General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oregon, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 45s
Overall Rank = 154/183
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Left Friday and had two tires blow out on the camper on the turnpike (had only one spare). The 3 hour trip turned into 7 but God sent wonderful people to help. So thankful the race was on Sunday because I was exhausted by the time we set up camp. Saturday went to packet pickup and checked the race site and got all my questions answered. Sunday ate the normal oats and yogurt with granola/chia seeds. Set up transition and chatted with some folks. Had a 2 1/2 hour wait until my wave went off due to 3 races happening that morning. The paperwork said transition closed and had to be cleared at 7:30 but you could go in and out of it the whole time. I wouldn't have gotten there so early if I would've known that. Spent a lot of nervous energy going back and forth thinking of different things to adjust.
Event warmup:

Had ridden my bike from the campground to the race so I was set there. Put on my running shoes and ran to the nice restrooms a couple times. Got in the water when they started calling the Oly waves to test my goggles.
Swim
  • 30m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Only my second swim with a running start and I don't know the proper way to do it. I just ran for a bit in the shallow water than dove in. Nice calm water but couldn't get into a good rhythm. Realized I was holding my breath so worked on fixing that. Kept running into people or people running into me. I laugh that we all stop and say "sorry". Couldn't find any one to draft with. I wanted to feel relaxed with my stroke but my heart rate was too high. I drifted some and could've done better with sighting but I didn't have any problems with my goggles. Yeah!
What would you do differently?:

I give myself a below average rate for the swim just because I wasn't relaxed at all and couldn't breath well. If the distance was accurate then I should be super pleased with the time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I'd cut a bit off the bottoms of my wetsuit and that helped them come off easier but I still had to sit down and pull them off my ankles.

Practice the wetsuit off the ankles. I just can't get it.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

When I got my tri bike a couple months ago it was a machine wanting to go fast. But from the moment I jumped on it out of transition I felt like it was a different machine - like the brakes were stuck on it or something. It was weird. I felt like I was really pumping it but when I looked at my cateye I was only going 15MPH out of the park. WHAT? I'd pumped up my tires the night before and didn't notice anything on the ride over (although I was going slow). I was being passed and was getting ticked. I got up to 18.1 but not much more. Where in the past my bike shifted like butter I rounded an intersection about mile 7, shifted then my chain locked up. Had to stop and fix it. It felt like it took 15 minutes as I heard even more bikes pass but in reality it couldn't have been more than 4 as I tried to get the chain unjammed from the front derailler. I could've been faster if I'd taken a minute to look at the whole thing before I started just yanking the chain around. Chaulk that one up to anger management. :) I maintained about 18.5 the rest of the bike but I was one disappointed lady.

I'm taking the bike to the shop this week. In speaking with a nice guy named Randy after the race he said there's an adjustment on the derailler that should prohibit the chain from ever jumping ship. In looking at the rear brake afterwards, sure enough, it was rubbing the rim. I'm a stupid woman not to have checked my bike over and not to have done a test ride up to speed (especially with a 2 1/2 hour wait). Dumb, dumb me. I deserve that one. Even with a fast bike (like I'd envisioned), I still would have placed in my AG where I did.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Spent a couple more seconds putting on my running shoes because I'd put a blister bandaide on earlier and it was coming off so I adjusted it back in position

Put on a new bandaide instead of fooling with the old. The old didn't stick during the run.
Run
  • 1h 04m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Where we had wind on the bike, the run was completely still and humid which was strange being right along Lake Erie. The sun broke out at times and there was no relief. My legs felt fine but I knew the heat would take it's toll so I went at a very slow pace, still trying to process the bike ride. Looking at my watch I set a goal to finish the race in under 3 hours. I met up with a nice lady named Liz and we chatted the rest of the race. That was nice. We walked the aid stations where I'd get water dumped on my head to help cool me off. Liz knew about everyone on the course and I realized that although I like doing races at different places it sure is nice to know folks. They help boost your morale. I could feel my blister but decided to ignore it. Toward the end I could see the finish line but still had to go around the lake and it was getting close to 3 hours so I pushed it hard on the final 1/2 mile.

Just keep going. Will I run under an hour in another Oly? I hope so and if that's my goal then I need to take a hard look at what it'll take to get me there.
Post race
Warm down:

Got across the finish line feeling light headed so I sat down and put my head between my legs and one of the nice ladies brought me over a Pepsi. She also told the medics to come over and that was embarrasing. Did I look that bad for pushing it the last 1/2 mile? Ugh! So I'm sitting there with 6 guys around me all asking questions. I'm fine. The lightheadedness passed within a minute and I just wanted to get up and walk around but they made me get a finger prick to test my blood and take my blood pressure and sign a waver that I didn't want taken by ambulance and wouldn't sue them. All my vital signs were in the VERY healthy range (that's what they said). We were all just laughing and joking and inside it was nice to know that if anything WAS wrong I'd be taken care of. I guess I was just humiliated and feeling very old. Really, did I look that frail and in need of medical attention? Really? I chose to think the medics got involved due to an overly cautious and helpful friend and that I had all 6 medics to myself because they were bored and wanted something to do. :) Got my 3rd place metal, packed up my gear and rode back to the campground.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just me.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race venue very much. The location was absolutely beautiful in one of the prettiest and cleanest state parks we've ever camped at. This was my first race with HFP and I really look forward to racing with them again. Their fees are unbelievably low and they have everything very organized. I like the fact that you don't have to wait around for an awards ceremony but just get your medal when you finish. The post race food was just fine - nothing fancy - but plentiful. The volunteers were mostly kids from the local XC team so they didn't cheer you on but they did their jobs well. I plan on coming back next year to take the bike course by storm. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:21 | 1640 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 0/183
Performance: Below average
Suit: Rocket Science Sports sleeveless
Course: Rectangular two laps
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:21:42 | 24.85 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Performance: Bad
Wind: Headwind
Course: Rectangle shaped. FLAT county roads in decent condition. Just a few potholes and gravel.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:04:19 | 06.21 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Course: Out and back along the paved path. Only one small section under tree cover, the rest in the open.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-19 7:27 AM

User image

Subject: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-06-19 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4268683

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course
Brenda congrats on a good tough finish at the Oly this past weekend. You did a great job finishing 3rd in your AG and under 3 hours when a lot of things didn't go your way before, during and after the race. I think you did a great job overcoming all that adversity.
2012-06-19 9:08 AM

User image

NH

Great job taking what the day gave you.  And it was nice of you to give the other people a chance by handicapping your bike!

Seriously though, dealing with the specifics of the day and not letting things affect you as the day progresses is important, and you nailed that part.  It was a great move to adjust to a realistic in race goal, and you finished strong which shows you paced well.  Great job hitting the goal and it's also fun to see you already mentally preparing for another one.

Congrats all around.

2012-06-19 9:56 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Wow!!!  Awesome job despite the challenges!  FWIW....my tri bike front derailleur used to jump clear over the top, too.  Now I know that I have to be very cautious with my pedaling while shifting.  No more problems and I don't skip a beat at all.
2012-06-19 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT race, sorry about the chain but it is all a learning lesson...  I'm very proud of U!  GREAT job and thanks for posing!
2012-06-19 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
As always, I think you're amazing   Good job on the race.  It's smart to be careful, and I am glad you are healthy. 

2012-06-19 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Talk about perseverance!  Blown tires, stuck chain, brake locked to the tire! I would have thrown in the towel and went home!  Great effort Brenda!!  And next race we will be more organized so we can meet.  I thought for sure I would be able to catch you at the finish line, then seen your name on the results and realized I may have under estimated your abilities.  You were just too fast

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed