Arbor Schools'
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I have been very apprehensive about this tri. I have had a 6 week gap in training. However, I had registered, it was only a sprint, and I could accept DNS, so I had accepted that I would be close to DFL (is that the right acronym for very last place?)

Got up at 5:24, dressed, and ate. I had an almond latte and yogurt. The race site was less than a twenty minute drive from my house, sweet.

Event warmup:

Set up my transition area, met up with two friends that were doing the tri and two friends who were race volunteers (one being StampinAnn). I was feeling pretty nervous, "Lord, let me get to the finish line". I had always been training steadily before all my other tris. I could not really imagine doing a tri without training.
I got in the water for a warm-up swim. Even with my wetsuit, it felt pretty cold to me. Every time I put my face in the water, I felt like my lungs just constricted. I couldn't get a breathing rhythm going during warm-up and I never pulled it together for the race.
Swim
  • 17m 56s
  • 440 yards
  • 04m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I never established a breathing rhythm. Did all kinds of strokes. My performance was UGLY, but the sun was shining, and it looked so pretty on the water, I was swimming and looking at the people on the beach and felt lucky to be in the water and my apprehension left and I finally accepted that I could very well be last in the race, but I was enjoying the experience.
What would you do differently?:

Train.
Transition 1
  • 04m 41s
Comments:

I just relaxed through transitions.
Bike
  • 57m 15s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 15.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed the ride. I have had a big gap in my training and it just felt great to be on my bike on a beautiful morning.

Train.
Transition 2
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

Again I just took my time. A young man that I racked next to, had just finished the race, his first, and he was pretty excited. It was great to congratulate him and wish him well in his future races (he had four more on his schedule).
Run
  • 41m 23s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I jogged at slow speed for ten minutes, then jogged at super slow speed for one minute. Folks at the back of the pack are so friendly! It was awesome to have the sun shining. We have had a ton of rain lately and I am totally sick of rain, really really really tired of rain. I loved the sun and the green fields and the smell of the roses as I jogged by them.

Train.
Post race
Warm down:

I was surprised that there was not a motorcycle right behind me as I crossed the finish line--I was not very last! My friends were there to cheer me in, the announcer said my name and that felt very cool.

Walked around, didn't do any formal warm down. Grabbed a brat and a drink and sat in the sunshine and watched the kids tri.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training, being overweight.

Event comments:

This race is put on by Arbor Schools (my children went to Montessori there when they were young). It is a friendly race that has really grown. The organization this year really improved alot from last year. The organizers deserve a big congratulations for being able to significantly improve the logisitics even as the race grows in popularity. In addition to the tri, there is a 5K walk/run and the children's triathlon.

I would definitely recommend this race to others looking for an early season event.

Last updated: 2006-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:56 | 440 yards | 04m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: LS Promotion
Course: Horshoe shape
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:41
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:15 | 14.5 miles | 15.20 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Out and back. The bike course started in the park and then hit the roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:41:23 | 03.5 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Trail run through the park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 8:26 PM

User image

Subject: Issaquah Triathlon

2006-06-04 8:46 PM
in reply to: #442812

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Issaquah Triathlon
Sounds like you had a great day! The sun was so nice on the bike and run! I hear you on the water temp... I was really breathless until after the first buoy.

- Heidi
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Issaquah Triathlon Rss Feed