General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pac Crest is going to be cold - now what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-20 9:02 AM

Subject: Pac Crest is going to be cold - now what?

So it looks like it will be cloudy with a low around 40 at the start and 57 by the end if we are lucky with a 30% chance of rain. This is my first HIM and I was totally prepared mentally and gear-wise for the heat and the sun. I am packing all my cold weather gear, but haven't decided on a plan yet.

What's your plan?

2012-06-20 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4271206

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Pac Crest is going to be cold - now what?
Arrrrrrgh! My only plan is to bring/wear lots of clothes and survive if possible. If not, enter my backup race in Indonesia in September! The idea of keeping up HIM training for another three months isn't attractive, but I'm not going to endanger myself.
2012-06-20 4:48 PM

Veteran
Portland, OR

It's killing me.  The forcast for Mt Bachelor (6500ft) is even worse at the moment.  Low of 33 and high of 46 with snow predicted for Saturday.  The weather can change fast in the high desert but it's not looking good.  Hopefully they'll mod the bike course if the forcast holds but...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.98886243884903&lon=-121.68182373046875&site=pdt&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

- Jim

I might try to switch the oly course if it continues.  Sunday doesn't look nearly as bad and the elevation is much lower for that course

Edited by blueR6440 2012-06-20 4:50 PM
2012-06-20 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4272337

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Read the forecast and I am just sick at heart. This was supposed to be my first HIM and I have spent six months training for it solo in Saigon in hellish heat and traffic. Would not be happy with doing the Oly but I guess if there is no choice....... Probably too late to enter another HIM at this point (only in the US till August 4).  Don't know if there's any chance they could reroute the bike to lower altitudes--it would still be a challenging race with the cold swim and valley conditions.
2012-06-20 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4272555

Veteran
Portland, OR

Sorry.  It is a bummer.  I train in the area a fair amount and know there's still time for weather to change.  There's still some hope.  Hopefully they make a call fairly fast about the bike if it doesn't look good.  We'll see...

As an alternate, you might think about the Rev3 Portland race July 8th. It'll be warmer and considerably closer to the conditions you're used to training in..  I haven't done it but heard good things.  You might want to check it out as a back up.

Hot Runner - 2012-06-20 6:14 PM Read the forecast and I am just sick at heart. This was supposed to be my first HIM and I have spent six months training for it solo in Saigon in hellish heat and traffic. Would not be happy with doing the Oly but I guess if there is no choice....... Probably too late to enter another HIM at this point (only in the US till August 4).  Don't know if there's any chance they could reroute the bike to lower altitudes--it would still be a challenging race with the cold swim and valley conditions.

2012-06-21 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Unfortunately Rev 3 Portland registration closes tomorrow. Just not willing to do that pre-emptively, esp. considering the amount of $ involved and how soon it is. I'd considered it initially but decided against it as I thought the swim was in one of the rivers--apparently the venue has changed.

Lake Stevens appears to still be open as is Chelanman; would disrupt vacation plans but would consider it. I had considered doing a race in Indonesia (Metaman) in Sept. as a backup and possibly just as an additional race, but have not been able to get any word about leave from work for it--inquired twice of our administrators so far this month and no response. We are between school heads so I think nobody wants to make the call. Timing is also not ideal, to say the least--four weeks into new school term. Just keeping my fingers crossed for Saturday.

2012-06-24 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Oooooh, did that race ever suck!  I think it was about the worst thing that could happen to someone who trained in the tropics LOL. I had a horrible experience on a practice swim Friday (out by myself in a choppy squall on the lake and then very hypothermic once the wetsuit came off and it was 48 and raining). When the officials said the bike would probably be shortened, I switched to the du and did it more as a workout. Figured if it wasn't going to be a real HIM anyway, I just didn't want to go thru the suffering of the cold swim and T1 in freezing temps. Still just miserable--toes froze on the bike, cramped in T2 and on the run, got hailed on.....

If you did do the Oly this AM, looks like weather was better. Hope it went well! I registered for Chelanman today and hoping against hope for better conditions.

2012-07-13 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran

That was one for the memory books.  Pacific Crest was my first Triathlon/70.3 (well, I guess it wasn't due to the shortened bike course), and I know now I can handle just about any weather. I thought the lake was warmish.  I had been training in 56-58 degree water, so Wickiups' 61 degrees felt balmy.    Glad I went over prepared clothes wise.  My wife was giving me a hard time when I was packing the car in Portland the Tuesday before the race because I brought all my over layers that I owned.  Glad I did too.  Had a huge assortment of garments to put on at T1 and took time to really evaluate what to wear.  Also glad I bought shoe covers for the bike.....Those were a life saver. 

Maybe next year there won't be four inches of snow on part of the bike course and it will be maybe like June weather so it can be an actual 70.3.  I want to put the sticker on my car.  :P

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pac Crest is going to be cold - now what? Rss Feed